Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Enthusiast v. '08 Nismo - Personal Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Great post!
That parting shot really makes me miss living in CA.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Enjoyable reading mic. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts
Default After two rounds, it's all tied up!

Knew I couldn't stop adding to this thread!

5 weeks of ownership and I STILL scratch my head on that boy-racer diffuser bumper thing.

Yesterday, took the Niz out for an out-and-back 60 mile loop (well, OK, "the long way to the grocery store"). I punished it. It never whimpered. But I still came back home with thoughts of "My '03 matches the Niz step for step."

But, seeing as how well the Niz ran and the fact that I never really ran them on the identical loop at the same time of day, and so forth, I wasn't exactly sure anymore. So, today I decided to run the exact same loop, same time of day and really push the '03.

Yeah, yeah I can read your mind.... "Mic has nothing better to do..." and "Lawdy, this guy AGAIN??" Wellllll, SOMEONE has to do it, right?

Even stopped at the exact same photo locations as yesterday...

Heck, even took the same coffee break with the exact same Peets Major Dickason's brew in the exact same mug! (Stainless steel for an extra 5bhp!)

No fancy serving platter wing today though.

Geez, I'm good. Almost parked in the exact same footprint as yesterday WITHOUT even thinking about it. (J/K...it was an accident.)

OK, so now that I've had time to digest today's run and analyze the mistakes I made that caused me to get a little, shall we say, "damn-close-to-ugly-out-of-control" and take a good, objective look at the differences between the two, I am ready to admit that I was wrong.

Wait, what? Mic admits he's wrong! Hell freezes over!!

OK, not so much being wrong but qualifying my previous statements about the two cars with new data.

Both cars have roughly the same overall performance in this identical loop.

This assessment was made by the human data acquisition system mounted in the driver's seat. (Uhhh, that means me....) But ya, quick gazes at engine speed in same turns, vehicle speed on corner approaches & exits, rough guesstimation of generated lateral g's (yeah right), blah blah blah. But seriously, all of these things are pretty close and while I didn't take the time to write 'em down or dictate 'em to Siri, I'm usually pretty close on such stuff.

HOWEVER..... the Nismo does it with FAR LESS DRAMA than in the '03. Where the Niz was composed and unflappable on the entire run - and regardless of whether or not the driver executed properly or not - the '03 was that much more rough edged and didn't take kindly to the types of mistakes the driver took for granted and got away with in the Nismo.

I blame this on three things:

The transmission in the '03, being one of the "affected with 3rd gear gronk" was not NEARLY as smooth to engage and select in any gears as the Nismo's newer CD009 gearbox.

Along with that - and despite how I've bitched about it - the clutch on the Nismo actually does have better high rev engagement and disengagement. And yes, the '03's tranny voiced its opinions at me many times as I either missed a shift or the heel-toe downshift into third wasn't executed, well, "just so."

"GRRRNNNNG!" (Translation from Tranese (geddit? geddit?) to English: "Hey dumbass, get working on your coordination!")

Now, I could just say "I'm having an off day" but truth is, I was making the mistakes because I took the gearbox for granted after driving the Niz yesterday.

Secondly, the tires. While the '03 - running on the Track V.1s with Sumitomo HTR-Z3s in stock 225/245 configuration - was able to maintain grip and provide great turn-in response turn for turn, it was clearly "out performed" by the Nismo's Bridgestone RE050s. Transitions were much better handled with nowhere near the tire rollover (hence, slightly slower return response) experienced on the HTRs. (And yes, this is the first time I've admitted that my budget tires weren't up to the NEW bar established by the $1,000 set.)

Finally, the last difference between the two cars (worth noting) is the DRASTIC difference in brake performance.

I said I pushed the cars these last couple of days and where I'm usually pretty conservative in the long downhill sections (5-7 miles in length), on this set of runs I went all in. And this was not such a good idea in the '03. Oh, the brakes on it - stock non-Brembo calipers with Hawk HPS and slotted StopTech rotors - generally work fine but when I got into the car today immediately after running the Niz with it's 4-pot Brembos on the same "course", I "forgot" I was driving different brakes and got into a couple of corner approaches too fast and had to virtually stand on 'em to scrub off enough speed on the corner entry.

Hello white knuckles... hoooooooo.... and I don't scare easily but it was like "casually knocking on the brake's doors and no one answered until I banged on the door with my fists."

OK, so I said "I blame it on three things" when it should have been "four things." I admit it, there was human error involved today. But.... insomuch as the human blundered, the human made the errors based on the mechanical things that forced him do it. Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa....

So what's this all mean?

Well, the '03 is NOT a has been (as I've been saying all along) but in the hills - and I can't believe I'm saying this - the Nismo is a better car; particularly now that I've "got the hang of it's quirks and odd behavior", vis a vis the '03, which, by the way, I've now been driving for three years, today. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you....

Yeah yeah, I know, pretty hokey, right? But I'll admit that I am "somewhat attached", ahem, to my car. (Wife would comment, "Somewhat???!!?? Try using a stronger adjective, babe.")

The good news in all of this is that everything I've mentioned as a foible of the '03 can EASILY be fixed.

- The trans can be updated to CD009 for roughly $1800 brand new. (I can certainly wait on that... )

- The tires can be upgraded to something I'll now have to pay real money for (laff.... the HTR-Z3s cost under $600 when I got 'em and I still maintain they are the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK as I push them hard and they've never let me down). But without even going so far, I'm sure the rollover (as compared to the RE050s) can be minimized by playing with higher pressures than the 38/36 I normally run. (And yes, I'm shopping tires and wheels now....for future reference of course! )

- Brakes. Easy. Bigger brakes. Been seriously eyeing the Z34/Akebono brake set up. But for now, they're fine.

But as it stands - and I reiterate - I love both cars and while I feel a little bad for "downgrading" my '03 to second banana on banzai runs, it's easy (and truthful) enough to say, "Well, the Niz had BETTER be BETTER. It's five years newer, has 40k less miles, cost twice as much as my '03 did in 2012, and yeah, it wears that gosh darned "NISMO" badge on the trunklid!"

Cheers,

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 PM
DeusExMaxima

With all that said...how would my car compare to both of yours? I have the DE motor and Track V1 wheels from the 03-05 but I have the brembo brakes and suspension and frame dampers from the 07-08 Niz. Also have the auto trans which allows for much easier left foot braking. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Great post.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:59 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
With all that said...how would my car compare to both of yours? I have the DE motor and Track V1 wheels from the 03-05 but I have the brembo brakes and suspension and frame dampers from the 07-08 Niz. Also have the auto trans which allows for much easier left foot braking. Thoughts?
Deus, you have the whole Yamaha/Nismo/Autech suspension set up on your ZR? Dayam, that must've cost a pretty penny. (Even if you got it from a Nismo donor wreck, couldn't have been cheap.)

To be honest, I COULDN'T and wouldn't even speculate on a comparison. Too many variables. I mean, "other" suspension and alignment differences, tires, different weight distribution, center of gravity, and on and on. I can only say that yours has the "right stuff" but how it all works, no way for me to know without driving it back-to-back with my cars.

Mic
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
DeusExMaxima

Mic, yes, I have the Yamaha Autech dampers front and rear and front and rear low mileage oem Shocks and springs from an 08 nismo z. The suspension transformed the car immensely, especially since the original rear shocks were blown. The Niz suspension was expensive but worth it. Its a great compromise for street and track use.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:50 PM
DeusExMaxima

I see you are in Northern Calif. I am going up there on business next month. Maybe we can get our cars together and compare and contrast?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Mic, Your last narrative makes a good point: The 350z lends itself to a plethora of modifications.

Although the car is excellent right “out of the box,” there are many things you can do with it (some not costing a great deal) that make the car more fun to own and drive. My Z has been evolving (and improving) for 12 years.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:33 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I see you are in Northern Calif. I am going up there on business next month. Maybe we can get our cars together and compare and contrast?
Let me know day(s) you're here in advance so I don't go and do something stupid. Like planning work meetings when I could be out in the hills.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Let me know day(s) you're here in advance so I don't go and do something stupid. Like planning work meetings when I could be out in the hills.
May 28-31. The question is, will I bring the Z or the Maxima. Ill let you know.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:40 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Makes me appreciate my 03 even more!
Thanks OP.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Do you know what that m shaped brace in this picture is called and if anyone makes an aftermarket one or is it a dealer only piece? While yours looks like you could eat off of it mine is rusted to ****. Great comparisons. My 04 touring best handling car ive ever owned.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 AM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Do you know what that m shaped brace in this picture is called and if anyone makes an aftermarket one or is it a dealer only piece? While yours looks like you could eat off of it mine is rusted to ****. Great comparisons. My 04 touring best handling car ive ever owned.
Oh no....is this M brace another piece I need to get to complete my Nismo Roadster????
Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Called a "W Tunnel Brace" (I see it as an "M" as well! ). Replacements can be had from Nissan as well as from some aftermarket suppliers.

Try: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=6623

Oh no....is this M brace another piece I need to get to complete my Nismo Roadster????
No worries, Deus, it's not exclusive to the Niz.... you should have one on your car already.

------------

But here's the thing.... one can obtain aftermarket chassis bracing that actually improves chassis rigidity (or appears/sounds like they do - have no direct experience on Z33). I *believe* (don't quote me on this) that these units use the factory mounting holes used for the W-brace.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-05-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:32 PM
DeusExMaxima

Called a "W Tunnel Brace" (I see it as an "M" as well! ). Replacements can be had from Nissan as well as from some aftermarket suppliers.

Try: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=6623

No worries, Deus, it's not exclusive to the Niz.... you should have one on your car already.

------------

But here's the thing.... one can obtain aftermarket chassis bracing that actually improves chassis rigidity (or appears/sounds like they do - have no direct experience on Z33). I *believe* (don't quote me on this) that these units use the factory mounting holes used for the W-brace.

Mic

Mic - Do all Z33s have the W/M (or 3/E if you look at it sideways!) brace? I read about an extra rear brace for the Nismo, but I have yet to find any evidence of that. Is this W brace on your Nismo that same as the non-Nismo?

I also understand that the Roadster has extra bracing to make for the lack of a roof.

Btw, I never made it up to the Bay as my trip got cancelled.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Thank you... I dont know why it bothers me that mine looks so bad I was thinking I should sand blast it or por15 that thing but for $140 ill just get one or try to find an aluminum aftermarket equivalent so it never rusts again.
https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=8899 looks like a similar bolt on for that area.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 AM
05track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im such a fanboy i still want one lol (05 track edition ive told myself im never giving up) and worst of all i want all nismo mods for the nismo edition and it will spend most of its life as a garage queen lol ooh how my dreams are so different from other people
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 05track_Z
Im such a fanboy i still want one lol (05 track edition ive told myself im never giving up) and worst of all i want all nismo mods for the nismo edition and it will spend most of its life as a garage queen lol ooh how my dreams are so different from other people
Point is, they're YOUR dreams so when you get one, just do it up as you see fit.

Mic's Axiom on Car Physics: "For every modification, there will be someone with an equal and opposite reaction from someone who thinks it's stupid." However, unlike the real physics law from which this is taken, you CAN ignore this one.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
05track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome post btw!!!

Quick Reply: '03 Enthusiast v. '08 Nismo - Personal Comparison