Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Because RACECAR dammit!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
n0smoke

So I got the goodies installed and wanted to give some first impressions on the setup.

This is the kit I purchased. I got mine WITH the silent disc option.

http://zspeedperformance.com/South-B...h-hr-end-2.htm

FLYWHEEL:
It revs like a ****ing banshee. I only went with the 19lbs steel flywheel and it is definitely light enough to get your attention. If you want to get the 14.5lbs aluminum flywheel because you don't feel like the lightweight steel one willbe dramatic enough, don't worry about it. It is noticeable in every gear and I haven't even got on it yet. I don't know why there are HR owners who are dissatisfied with their lightweight setup. I think it feels awesome.

PEDAL FEELS:
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that while the pedal is definitely firmer and requires more effort to get the pedal down, it's not nearly as bad as some of the stories I've read regarding heavy pedal feel. I daily this car to work and back every day, through town, with a lot of stop and go traffic, and had/have no problem. The only way I could see it being an annoyance is if you lived in a very densely populated area and had a long commute of nothing but stop and go.

NOISE/VIBRATION:
I don't know if getting the silent disc option was a smart move here but decided to take my chances for the extra $75. My car wasn't at the point to where the chatter/TOB noise was really loud at idle with my 40k mile OEM setup, and the new clutch sounds identical. Very very slight chattery noise at idle, and then goes away with clutch in.

When cruising at very low speeds (10-15mph in a neighborhood) and in gear just off idle (say, in 3rd) you DO get a very audible chatter until your rpms rise above 1800 or so. It doesn't sound great, but it doesn't necessarily bother me either. Comes with the territory I guess.

TAKING OFF FROM STOP/ GOING THROUGH GEARS:
We all know the HR has an engagement point that's really high in the pedal travel. This setup (could be the stainless braided lines) seems to emphasize this even more. With my stock setup I could get the car to start creeping without any accelerator assistance, and now it requires a little blip to edge the car forward. It was a little tricky getting used to right at first but with about an hour of practice the learning curve was over. Smooth starts are not an issue, however, I do plan to adjust the pedal via this method:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/50287-h...-clutch-pedal/

Upshifts are about the same. It's hard to explain, but when the clutch fully engages there is a very decided feeling about it, you can tell it bites HARD even with very light acceleration. There is also a more rigid feel to the gearbox, shifts take a little more effort and require you to be a bit more purposeful. (The Motul gear oil could be the cause here) It makes for a very race-car feeling experience, I personally LOVE it. Though if you like the smooth OEM shifter feel you could probably just use Nissan fluid.

I've been driving pretty slow, I plan to break this thing in for a good 800 miles or so before getting on it. But I can tell already that I'll have to be extra careful going into 2nd gear at WOT. These open diffs like to squirm around a bit.

Overall- If you like the silky smooth power delivery and driveability of your stock car, maybe go with an OEM setup with a Zspeed replacement slave cylinder. But if you don't mind a little more harshness for a big payoff of RACECAR. Pull the trigger on this kit.

Last edited by n0smoke; 04-08-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM
n0smoke

Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 AM
PercisionDriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice information. I was going to go with the exact same setup when I was looking. Ended up going to the Specialty Z setup instead, for the flywheel and CSC; Love it.