Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM
bluemist71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Catalytic Converter

I have an 04 350z convertible & was wanting to remove my Cats to make the car louder. I have a custom exhaust. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to remove the cats and replace them with test pipes? Will my sensors come on? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:30 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

up to you / yes / more than likely won't pass inspection with light on... will need a tune and they cost about $700
Old 03-27-2015, 05:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemist71
I have an 04 350z convertible & was wanting to remove my Cats to make the car louder. I have a custom exhaust. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to remove the cats and replace them with test pipes? Will my sensors come on? Any advice is appreciated.
Used to curse 'em but wow, am I glad we have stringent smog laws here in California. Love seeing blue skies instead of brown.

Seriously, man, do us a favor and at least run HFCs, then you can straight pipe that sucker all you want aft of those.

Good gawd.... louder??? Do you know that even race cars have sound restrictions?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

check engine light will turn on. go to z1 motorsports.com and buy o2 bungs and install that in with the test pipes it will shut off the check engine light and most importantly....you won't have a hard time starting the car......

going catless generally has been advertised for off road use and for a good reason. if you drive on a public street, more than likely you can get pulled over by police.

also smog checks will be a hassle, keep your cats and when smog time comes put them on for smog test then take them off again.

I have catless straight pipe momentum single exhaust on my car....i get tickets for my exhaust but i go to court and get the judge to dismiss it.

I like the sound a lot from my car, i don't care about society or police. test pipes though i don't think is a good idea because i hear that they eventually crack.....i would recommend going to z1 motorsports and buying the catless momentum y pipe its much more durable.

Last edited by Justin100; 03-27-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 PM
travlee
Master

kinetix..... berk... z1 all have nice hfc
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If you get pulled over for having a catless car you need to either, A) Move to a state / city that isn't ridiculous. or B) change your exhaust.

In florida I have never been pulled over, or never heard anyone in the local Z club getting pulled over for cats. Their are some guys with fairly loud exhausts. I got a speeding ticket once, left my car running, and it does smell, and the cop couldn't care less.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by NiLL
If you get pulled over for having a catless car you need to either, A) Move to a state / city that isn't ridiculous. or B) change your exhaust.

In florida I have never been pulled over, or never heard anyone in the local Z club getting pulled over for cats. Their are some guys with fairly loud exhausts. I got a speeding ticket once, left my car running, and it does smell, and the cop couldn't care less.
^^^ That's cuz the cop probably drives a '68 Camaro with a big block and big Holley up top. Smog? Wuzzat?

Nothing he hates more than a hypocrite.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with motordune Artpipes that now come with brace. So far so good. No cracks or sensors but they are expensive. MD seems to make good products though knock on wood.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut off whole exhaust and cats... And just run turndowns under the car... That will suffice
Old 03-29-2015, 04:09 PM
bluemist71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks everyone!
Hey Bluemist71, didn't mean to be so hard on you on the post but I'm something of a stickler when it comes to messing with emissions controls. Instead of responding to your PM, this is a public answer as it may help others wanting similar results to your question.

As I mentioned, you CAN run straight, unmuffled pipes all the way out to the back from aft of the cats OR test pipes.

HOWEVER, I'd caution you on that for a couple of reasons:

1. It will be REALLY LOUD. But, if that's OK with you, consider the following

2. You stand the chance of throwing a code, particularly a lean code like P2096 <===Linked so you can read up on that.

Doing so essentially means you're messing with the AFR.

Also, as a result of this, your lowend performance, where you do most of your street and highway driving can (and likely will) suffer, pushing the torque curve up higher and giving you the sensation of "no power" down low where you need it in everyday driving. It's a "liveable" condition but isn't particularly fun.

Trust me, this is speaking strictly from experience on a lot of Zs AND just about every other car I've gone too big on pipe size and/or reduced far too much exhaust back pressure with super low restriction mufflers. Even on the race cars I ran, tuned, or built for others, pipe size and back pressure are critical to peak performance on a given track.

Another alternative is to consider a Supertrapp (or pair). Tunable exhaust through the use of diffuser discs, you can give (or take away) back pressure in the system. Put a full stack of discs in and loud you shall be. (Counterintuitive, as the MORE discs you put in, the louder these are.)

In any event, you have tons of options BESIDES the removal of the cats.

Again, I made the smog control comment because I do NOT believe in altering same if the car is being run on public roads. I lived through enough brown smoggy skies in both Northern and moreso, in Southern California to truly appreciate the change in our air quality in the post catalyst, post carburetor era starting in the mid-70's.

Hope this helps.

Mic

PS Oh, and if you ever go FI on your car and want to keep it loud , go S/C versus turbo as a pair of snails will quiet your car down to where you truly won't like it.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Hey Bluemist71, didn't mean to be so hard on you on the post but I'm something of a stickler when it comes to messing with emissions controls. Instead of responding to your PM, this is a public answer as it may help others wanting similar results to your question.

As I mentioned, you CAN run straight, unmuffled pipes all the way out to the back from aft of the cats OR test pipes.

HOWEVER, I'd caution you on that for a couple of reasons:

1. It will be REALLY LOUD. But, if that's OK with you, consider the following

2. You stand the chance of throwing a code, particularly a lean code like P2096 <===Linked so you can read up on that.

Doing so essentially means you're messing with the AFR.

Also, as a result of this, your lowend performance, where you do most of your street and highway driving can (and likely will) suffer, pushing the torque curve up higher and giving you the sensation of "no power" down low where you need it in everyday driving. It's a "liveable" condition but isn't particularly fun.

Trust me, this is speaking strictly from experience on a lot of Zs AND just about every other car I've gone too big on pipe size and/or reduced far too much exhaust back pressure with super low restriction mufflers. Even on the race cars I ran, tuned, or built for others, pipe size and back pressure are critical to peak performance on a given track.

Another alternative is to consider a Supertrapp (or pair). Tunable exhaust through the use of diffuser discs, you can give (or take away) back pressure in the system. Put a full stack of discs in and loud you shall be. (Counterintuitive, as the MORE discs you put in, the louder these are.)

In any event, you have tons of options BESIDES the removal of the cats.

Again, I made the smog control comment because I do NOT believe in altering same if the car is being run on public roads. I lived through enough brown smoggy skies in both Northern and moreso, in Southern California to truly appreciate the change in our air quality in the post catalyst, post carburetor era starting in the mid-70's.

Hope this helps.

Mic

PS Oh, and if you ever go FI on your car and want to keep it loud , go S/C versus turbo as a pair of snails will quiet your car down to where you truly won't like it.
Another thing i want to add is, it is a federal crime removing the cars. Removing cats for straight oipe nets you kike what? 2 hp? Not worth going to jail for. If the op wants a loud mean sound, he should get a nice set of exhaust and be done with it.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn are you guys the catalytic converter police??

OP take off your cats. Who cares. Test pipes are like $100 and are bolt on. Ive had my pipes on for a over year and recently put on my cats for smog, now going to remove again since I passed with flying colors. No check engine light since I had defoulers and car sounded and ran GREAT!
I had mine paired with an OE exhaust and it sounded similar to stock but louder. I did get some rasp inside the car but funny thing was, outside of the car I heard little to no rasp and sounded orgasmically good (if thats even a word).
I love test pipes.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Another thing i want to add is, it is a federal crime removing the cars. Removing cats for straight oipe nets you kike what? 2 hp? Not worth going to jail for. If the op wants a loud mean sound, he should get a nice set of exhaust and be done with it.
you are not going to go to jail over something this petty
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
you are not going to go to jail over something this petty
You can thought. It depends on the mood of the cop. Chances are it wont even be enforced. I believe its a federal crime where you can be fine ip to like 5000 (not sure on the number) and 30 day (again not sure on number) in prison.

Its one of those laws that are there, but not always enforced
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM
travlee
Master

well it is also illegal in AZ to refuse someone a glass of water, but you prob wont go to jail over it

http://www.dumblaws.com/law/32
Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
well it is also illegal in AZ to refuse someone a glass of water, but you prob wont go to jail over it

http://www.dumblaws.com/law/32
Well the businesses are getting gine. But i agree that you have a near zero chance, but it IS still a possibility thats on the tablem who knows, maybe the judge just found out his wife is cheating on him.

Its a risk, one that im willing to take simply because it sounds and looks good.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
Damn are you guys the catalytic converter police??

OP take off your cats. Who cares. Test pipes are like $100 and are bolt on. Ive had my pipes on for a over year and recently put on my cats for smog, now going to remove again since I passed with flying colors. No check engine light since I had defoulers and car sounded and ran GREAT!
I had mine paired with an OE exhaust and it sounded similar to stock but louder. I did get some rasp inside the car but funny thing was, outside of the car I heard little to no rasp and sounded orgasmically good (if thats even a word).
I love test pipes.
Nope, not policing anything. Don't care what people do that doesn't affect ME. Yep, all about me.

But here's the thing, read what I wrote about smog/haze in California. I was alive when you couldn't see across the street from campus when I was at school in So-Cal. How old are you? You live in L.A. and the air has improved a thousand-fold. Maybe you don't remember or ever knew what it was like before.

Or, if you don't want to re-read it, here, a simplification.... or "picture paints a thous.... blah blah"

Ask yourself, "Which one would I choose to live in?" That's it, nothing more.

Look, I'm not a "save the whales" kinda guy (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I believe that if we can do something to PREVENT a greenhouse disaster or make it so our kids can enjoy a better, healthier life, then I'm all for it. The key word is "PREVENT".

In the end, I gotta wonder just how much benefit removal of the cats yields.... would be curious to see a dyno chart showing the actual effect on WHP in real world driving. I hardly think it's enough to matter when slinging my car around a corner at 2-2.5x posted.