Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

35th anniversary edition or 2007-08 350z

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
RAYoRAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually Dyno'd my 05 35th Anniversary (Revup) and my 07 HR last saturday. Both is bone stock.

The HR made about 10whp more after 4k rpm to redline.
Torque it made 15-16lbs more from 4000 to redline.
This number would have been even bigger if it was DE vs HR.

there was a correction to the hp numbers (SaE?) from 06-07, the adjusted would have made the revup ~ 292HP i believe, and HR 306. So its really 14more at the flywheel. At the wheels is a little less as I have tested.

The HR feels much better after 4000RPM, it is noticeable, at one point of the Dyno sheet, I had 20lbs ft more torque from 4500-5500. The HR was made to be more happy at higher RPMs it seems. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RAYoRAY; 04-14-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM
sherm

To all who commented, thank you for your biased and unbiased input lol...It's great to finally find a thread and links to threads that really go in depth about the engine itself and the differences. I already own a 35th anniversary edition Z, I was just speaking to another Z owner, who had an HR and was stating that basically the HR is leagues ahead of the DE Rev Up, which I found to be slightly unbelievable based on SaE ratings, which probably shouldn't be used to gauge that, but I digress. Regardless, I'm glad that someone dyno'd a stock HR vs a stock DE Rev Up, that's excellent.

Thanks again for your input guys.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM
sherm

Originally Posted by RAYoRAY
I actually Dyno'd my 05 35th Anniversary (Revup) and my 07 HR last saturday. Both is bone stock.

The HR made about 10whp more after 4k rpm to redline.
Torque it made 15-16lbs more from 4000 to redline.
This number would have been even bigger if it was DE vs HR.

there was a correction to the hp numbers (SaE?) from 06-07, the adjusted would have made the revup ~ 292HP i believe, and HR 306. So its really 14more at the flywheel. At the wheels is a little less as I have tested.

The HR feels much better after 4000RPM, it is noticeable, at one point of the Dyno sheet, I had 20lbs ft more torque from 4500-5500. The HR was made to be more happy at higher RPMs it seems. Hope this helps.
You wouldn't still happen to have your charts, would you?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 PM
sherm

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OP, I own several variants - DE, HR, and VQ37VHR - and as a counterpoint to all the HR worship (laff) I'm reading, I actually said at one point that the HR is my least loved engine of the three. I've since gotten more acquainted with the HR and do NOT condemn the thing but also don't feel it's the shiznit that everyone makes it out to be.

Of course, I run with stock motors ONLY, preferring to extract the most out of the cars through suspension; so as far as engine mods, cannot say with any degree of accuracy which one is a better base engine to work with. Guess that all depends on the application. Road, maybe the HR, drags, well, chuck it for LSX. Hahahahahaha.

Here, read my comparison of the DE and HR here in this comparison:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...l#post10566715

I'm pretty unbiased about any of my Z cars and prefer to call 'em as I see 'em. (Read the first post in that thread and you'll get a sense that I don't really get all "UP" about a particular vehicle.)

Bottom line, I don't think one can go wrong with any of the three engine series in the Z33 (excluded the VHR because it wasn't available in this generation chassis discussed) SO LONG AS you understand the foibles of each motor, e.g., "06 oil consumption", etc., you should be fine.
About to check it out right meow.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Having owned both a DE and 35HR and building and TT'ing both, if your long term plan is to keep the car and eventually potentially go FI and built, the DE is hands down the much easier motor due to the aftermarket support.

The HR still lacks very badly in that area. Engine management options sucks for the HR.

The only cool thing about an HR is taking the 37VHR crank out and dropping it in the 35HR for a small stroker without having to shell out like $5K for the stroker kits. I run a Haltech platinum in my 35HR, but it's not a natively supported setup so it certainly has its own quirks.

If you intend to go all modified, I would say save yourself the potential headache and go DE. A built motor is a built motor and you won't be squabbling about 5 tq difference or any of that crap. Current 35HR is at 640/550 power wise, but, a DE can do that with a proper build; so that's irrelevant, but a DE *IMO can do it more easily with 3rd party support - the HR does certainly feel like the red headed step child in that regard.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

VQ35DE / VQ35HR

-cheaper to buy parts for DE
-cheaper to mod the DE
-transmissions don't have the clutch slave issue on the DE
-higher TQ than HR
-more available parts IMO, due to amount of cars in circulation
-kids buy the DE ( due to being cheap )/ doubles as pro since many end up in Junkyards
-DE possible higher insurance due to ^
-Less HP than HR
-crappier interior on the DE ( I dont mind my 05 int)
-general older tech on the DE than the newer platforms
-HR added exhaust VVT
-HR has beefed up engine internals (mainly connecting rods) to hold higher RPM limit
- HR dual intakes remove oxygen starvation from front 2 cylinders ( unless the DE has the P-spacer)

My list may have more ,and to my knowledge is pretty accurate, feel free to correct me.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Get the HR.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:01 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I think the main point of this thread is this. OP buy what you can afford. Obviously the newer the car is, the more expensive it will be. IMO buy the newest and lowest mileage Z you can buy. No matter what you get, you will enjoy the Z as it puts a smile on my face, and I am sure everybody on here can agree with that statement.

Now if you are faced with buying an older but lower mileage car vs a newer higher mileage car, use your judgment. The one thing that can be said about all years of the Z is that for a sports car, it is pretty damn reliable.

Just make sure it is clean and meets your needs.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I think the main point of this thread is this. OP buy what you can afford. Obviously the newer the car is, the more expensive it will be. IMO buy the newest and lowest mileage Z you can buy. No matter what you get, you will enjoy the Z as it puts a smile on my face, and I am sure everybody on here can agree with that statement.

Now if you are faced with buying an older but lower mileage car vs a newer higher mileage car, use your judgment. The one thing that can be said about all years of the Z is that for a sports car, it is pretty damn reliable.

Just make sure it is clean and meets your needs.
This is what I went through. My 05 had a new motor from Nissan (replaced 2k before I purchased it due to oil issues) vs a 50K HR car that I had my suspicions it was "raced" for more money.

Choice for me was relatively easy..
Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation

26 hp and 5 ft-lbs is a big difference.
On a track that = nothing.

You people keep forgetting about the WEIGHT of the car. Over the years the car gained nearly 200lbs across the board (all trim levels except NISMO).
Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII

You people keep forgetting about the WEIGHT of the car. Over the years the car gained nearly 200lbs across the board (all trim levels except NISMO).
Tell that to the several DE owners that couldn't touch my times at every Auto-X event I have competed in.

On the track = 200 lbs of weight means nothing either.

Driver is the most important mod. I have beaten cars that on paper are much faster than me, and have been beaten by cars that on paper are slower than me.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, youve never driven on a track have you? A REAL track, like with turns, Sebring International for example? The simple fact it revs higher, it can hold its breath in the power band and have much faster enter/exit speeds.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:58 AM
sickZ31/Z33

I've owned both DE and HR. I have raced and tracked both. HR IS superior in almost every way.
I use to be like many (not all) of the DE owners are, trying to defend it by saying things like "DE has more torque, DE is lighter, Very minimal horsepower difference" but honestly I was wrong.

I loved my 2003 DE when I use to own it. I installed almost every bolt-on on it (headers, test pipes, exhaust, intake, plenum spacer, underdrive pulleys, grounding kit). It was quick, and it sounded mean. I was able to beat many cars including some modded DE Rev-Ups. One day one of my buddies bought an 07 HR (Automatic and STOCK). We lined them up, I took him off the line til about 40mph and then he just flew passed me.

I drive my cars pretty hard (just how they are meant to be driven, they are sports cars). My DE was reliable for the most part, but it did give me 2 main issues. The infamous 3rd gear grind, and towards 100k miles it started giving me oil consumption issues. I owned it for almost 5 years until I sold it.
After, I picked up my current 2008 HR (NISMO). I drive it just as hard, if not harder since I'm doing more track days with it now, and it feels as reliable as the day I bought it. I have owned it for almost 4 years now.

Jumping from a DE, to a Rev-Up, to an HR you WON'T feel much, if any, difference in power because the power delivery in 350Zs in general is very smooth. Seeing your track times and racing others is when you come to realize the better car.
NO year or model 350Z is a bad or worse car. They are all great, no matter which VQ35 model engine is in there, a 350Z is a 350Z. It's just that the HR 350Z is just enough better for me to prefer it over the others.
I will say this though, if you are not going to be tracking your car, or you're just buying a 350Z to generally commute and don't really care to race it, then get the DE. You will save money and they are just as much fun.

MY CARS:

Name:  18d9ad0c-8e83-472e-93e1-1d0e032f1470_zpsj003wxuv.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  367.7 KB

Name:  f4059cbb-3fa7-4506-bc09-2cead561d9fc_zps8cavslsv.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  500.9 KB

Last edited by sickZ31/Z33; 04-15-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 PM
RAYoRAY

How much faster were you in HR on a track? sickZ31/Z33?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Firebase99

Between my DE 350 and my 370Z, I was consistently 6 seconds or so faster around Sebring. 2:41 and change in the 370 and 2:47-ish in my DE. My 370 isnt an HR but figure at LEAST 3 seconds faster comparing what the HR (No Shumacher but not newbs either) guys were running.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by sickZ31/Z33

I loved my 2003 DE when I use to own it. I installed almost every bolt-on on it (headers, test pipes, exhaust, intake, plenum spacer, underdrive pulleys, grounding kit). It was quick, and it sounded mean. I was able to beat many cars including some modded DE Rev-Ups. One day one of my buddies bought an 07 HR (Automatic and STOCK). We lined them up, I took him off the line til about 40mph and then he just flew passed me.
Yea, Ive always said that. Those DE's were so punchy, kick in the pants till right about 40, where an HR and 370 just start walking it. But so fun right there.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Drag strip, about 2/10ths of a second faster in my HR but with an almost 5 mph higher trap speed. That's with all the bolt ons on my DE, and stock on my HR.

Around the big track at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Ca. It was a 6.5 second difference. But then again, I do have a NISMO model which is "built for the track". Only suspension mod I had in my DE was the Hotchkis Sport TVS Lowering Kit which was front and rear sway bars and springs. I also put on the NISMO wheels with some pretty meaty Michelin tires for better grip.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Driver is the most important mod. I have beaten cars that on paper are much faster than me, and have been beaten by cars that on paper are slower than me.
Agreed 110%

Originally Posted by Firebase99
LOL, youve never driven on a track have you? A REAL track, like with turns, Sebring International for example? The simple fact it revs higher, it can hold its breath in the power band and have much faster enter/exit speeds.
Not Sebring which is LONG and fast, but I got plenty laps around Homestead which has lots of short straights and tight turns. You spend all your time there between 30 and 100 MPH

I'm just saying people over play how much HP/TQ affect the car's "speed" without factoring weight into the equation. In a drag race yeah you need the shove. However if I can out brake and out corner someone on a more twist circuit the HP advantage goes away. I've been passed by plenty of Miatas that prove this point. Granted I toast them on the straights but their entry and exit speeds are way higher then mine due to the lower weight. In the right hands (not mine I'm a slow poke ) a lighter car has advantages.

No mistake I'd love to have more power ...but you would need to strip the entire interior (and then some?) to save those 200lbs found in the heavier model car. As is the Z is too heavy, but aren't all cars these days?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Agreed 110%

Not Sebring which is LONG and fast, but I got plenty laps around Homestead which has lots of short straights and tight turns. You spend all your time there between 30 and 100 MPH

I'm just saying people over play how much HP/TQ affect the car's "speed" without factoring weight into the equation. In a drag race yeah you need the shove. However if I can out brake and out corner someone on a more twist circuit the HP advantage goes away. I've been passed by plenty of Miatas that prove this point. Granted I toast them on the straights but their entry and exit speeds are way higher then mine due to the lower weight. In the right hands (not mine I'm a slow poke ) a lighter car has advantages.

No mistake I'd love to have more power ...but you would need to strip the entire interior (and then some?) to save those 200lbs found in the heavier model car. As is the Z is too heavy, but aren't all cars these days?
You keep saying the HP/TQ difference means nothing but the heavier HR will easily outperform the DE on the track with the same driver. It's not just a matter of difference between the peak numbers but more importantly power band and delivery which favors the HR by a significant margin.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 PM
sherm

Originally Posted by sickZ31/Z33
I've owned both DE and HR. I have raced and tracked both. HR IS superior in almost every way.
I use to be like many (not all) of the DE owners are, trying to defend it by saying things like "DE has more torque, DE is lighter, Very minimal horsepower difference" but honestly I was wrong.

I drive my cars pretty hard (just how they are meant to be driven, they are sports cars). My DE was reliable for the most part, but it did give me 2 main issues. The infamous 3rd gear grind, and towards 100k miles it started giving me oil consumption issues. I owned it for almost 5 years until I sold it.
After, I picked up my current 2008 HR (NISMO). I drive it just as hard, if not harder since I'm doing more track days with it now, and it feels as reliable as the day I bought it. I have owned it for almost 4 years now.

Jumping from a DE, to a Rev-Up, to an HR you WON'T feel much, if any, difference in power because the power delivery in 350Zs in general is very smooth. Seeing your track times and racing others is when you come to realize the better car.
NO year or model 350Z is a bad or worse car. They are all great, no matter which VQ35 model engine is in there, a 350Z is a 350Z. It's just that the HR 350Z is just enough better for me to prefer it over the others.
I will say this though, if you are not going to be tracking your car, or you're just buying a 350Z to generally commute and don't really care to race it, then get the DE. You will save money and they are just as much fun.

MY CARS:

First, I want to say, very impressive collection. I've already got a 35th anniversary 350z, I have plans to build the stock motor with forged internals, upgraded rods, and twin turbos. I'm still doing my research to figure out which brands are the best to use and what not, but I'm learning day by day. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, this is all good information!

Quick Reply: 35th anniversary edition or 2007-08 350z