2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a turbo kit be a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Speaking of azz wiping degrees (I of which have experience in), I recently had a discussion in the, more or less, legal thievery the state university education system is.
Part of this discussion dealing with the vast curriculum "required" for a degree. This dealing with the "overall well roundedness" of a person. Example, myself having to take 6 English courses for a business Administration degree, in which the vast majority of my college courses prepared me for nothing in my business career. What it really is about is making people pay for credits. Were someone could train for a year or two in business with actual career courses, one must instead pay for random courses, keeping them there longer (atleast 4 years) , keeping them paying for credit hours and earning the school (and state) more money.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Speaking of azz wiping degrees (I of which have experience in), I recently had a discussion in the, more or less, legal thievery the state university education system is.
Part of this discussion dealing with the vast curriculum "required" for a degree. This dealing with the "overall well roundedness" of a person. Example, myself having to take 6 English courses for a business Administration degree, in which the vast majority of my college courses prepared me for nothing in my business career. What it really is about is making people pay for credits. Were someone could train for a year or two in business with actual career courses, one must instead pay for random courses, keeping them there longer (atleast 4 years) , keeping them paying for credit hours and earning the school (and state) more money.

Well thats part of it. But the even bigger part is the more bs classes they add in, the more likely kids are to get kicked out. The more kids who get kicked out/drop out the more prestigious that school of business becomes. Same with rejecting students. Lower proportion of students who get in compared to apply,same with graduate means on paper a higher ranked class. Its a joke.

As for classes, most undergraduate programs are also a joke. The teachers dont actually teach so the education comes from wherever the kids get it from.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
hulkout

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A much better Jeremy Clarkson quote is "PPPOOOOWWWWWEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 10-13-2015, 05:29 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Man I can't even remember some of the BS courses I had to take that were completely irrelevant to my degree. Some that I can remember:

Modern architecture and urbanism
Geology
Anthropology
Weightlifting and wellness
Pop, Rock, and Soul (pretty awesome class though)
American Vigilantes (another pretty awesome class. We watched all of Dexter season 1, Dirty Harry, The Punisher, and other pretty decent movies)

In a way I didn't mind them because they were GPA boosters but on the other hand they took away from time that could have been spent working on the courses that mattered.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Phenom
Man I can't even remember some of the BS courses I had to take that were completely irrelevant to my degree. Some that I can remember:

Modern architecture and urbanism
Geology
Anthropology
Weightlifting and wellness
Pop, Rock, and Soul (pretty awesome class though)
American Vigilantes (another pretty awesome class. We watched all of Dexter season 1, Dirty Harry, The Punisher, and other pretty decent movies)

In a way I didn't mind them because they were GPA boosters but on the other hand they took away from time that could have been spent working on the courses that mattered.
Fckn truth man

I had to deal with a teacher recently. Makes me mad just thinking about. Have Ulcerative Colitis, missed two weeks of class (one homework assignment gone). Teacher first day in class says don't email, then asks why I didn't email him when I come back. Have one of the highest grades in all sections for the tests, and he goes on about how he "dropped me" even though I'm still enrolled, because "some kids just want an F".
Tell him I'm sick there's nothing I can do about the condition. He goes on and says he can check how I'm doing in other classes, and I say go ahead. I know he's seen me on campus after his class when I missed, and basically calls me out on that. Nothing I can do.

If I'm sick and I gotta take a 3 hour bloody diarrhea **** when I wake up, then that's what I gotta do. I'm going to miss your 8am class. Then tells me I should take time off from school until it gets sorted, and I'm like DOG I took more than a year off to deal. If I keep putting school off, I'll never get done.
When I ace the F*** out of your tests and you come back at me with like you can't miss class because you don't learn, it's kind of stupid especially when I have a fawking verifiable chronic disease.

The lower division teachers got these attendance rules to feed their egos. Ways to make the class more important than it is.

Sorry for rant, really kind of struck a nerve this morning with this guy.

Undergrad College isn't about the education, it's about the money and how willing students are to jump through hoops. Real college doesn't even start for many majors until after undergrad is done.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM
hulkout

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah.... There's actually an active thread at this very moment that discusses how useless college is
Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by hulkout
Yeah.... There's actually an active thread at this very moment that discusses how useless college is
No sht. Ive got some stories for that thread
Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
No sht. Ive got some stories for that thread
https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...d-college.html
Old 10-14-2015, 11:15 AM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what about that turbo kit??? lol
Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by medic165
So, what about that turbo kit??? lol
I have 450WHP/400Tq and I think it is a waste of $. I'm also a college student and I hate jumping through all of the hoops, but in the end it will be worth it. It kind of already is. Before I even got my associates degree I started building my resume and making money. Automation is a fairly secure profession I believe.

Anyway,
Yes it is awesome and fun to drive, I really do love it. Unfortunately the stress involved in maintaining a turbo charged luxury sports car is real (I have a G sedan). In addition to that, the fact that it can and will blow up at any point in time is my main reason for thinking it is a waste. IF we could turbo our cars and not worry about it blowing up, or keeping our ~50 engine control related sensors in perfect harmony then the dollar per minute of fun ratio would be pretty well worth it. What WAS worth it is my innovate SCG-1 wideband/solenoid controller combo. That device will postpone the blow up thing because of its AFR boost cut setting and max boost pressure setting etc... Even though I did everything properly to the best of my abilities (RFS, oil cooler, mishi radiator, best tuner I could find, OEM parts only, rebuilt turbos, OEM fluids, proper oil weight, cipher to monitor health) I still feel like it is a ticking time bomb. Not to mention it is either crazy burnout, or reckless driving... You have to pick one or both when you step on it.

There's also the shop time VS road time thing. I am still working out the bugs but my car has been a bit picky since the revamp. Right now I'm not driving it until I have time to finish finding why my AFR's shift lean during partial throttle low boost cruising. It's funny how something so minor like an exhaust leak or an of calibration MAP sensor (innovative sent me a replacement for free) can potentially ruin your entire project if you don't fix the issue ASAP.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:57 AM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Assuming it cost about 3k for a used turbo kit without tune and your do it yourself your looking at..... 4k total with tune.

4k I can probably buy a second car Nissan xterra or 4runner....
Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Justin100
Assuming it cost about 3k for a used turbo kit without tune and your do it yourself your looking at..... 4k total with tune.

4k I can probably buy a second car Nissan xterra or 4runner....
4k you're joking right? Lol! For a working condition used kit you will need more like 4500, but that isn't even where the big spending is. If you don't do all of the supporting modifications your engine will blow within a few thousand miles. I am in my stock block TT build about 25K including 6 speed swap costs which totaled only about $2500-3500. Fluids alone have totaled over $600 for me! The little things make or break your budget.

You could buy 10 GTI's (I hate VW but they're cheap)
5 xterras
3 WRX's
1 entire EVO

This is pretty funny if you ask me! Why do we do this? It is simply illogical.

There's just something special about driving a car that wasn't turbocharged from the factory. Something I will take with me for the rest of my life to be honest. I think I'm addicted. I'm not sure I will get the same satisfaction out of driving any car I simply purchased.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i think if your going to boost your car,

you should do 550-600 whp on a built block........i dont see any real enjoyment from stock 350z to 400whp.....

atleast you know you got your moneys worth when the first three gears feel like first gear.....

Last edited by Justin100; 10-17-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Justin100
i think if your going to boost your car,

you should do 550-600 whp on a built block........i dont see any real enjoyment from stock 350z to 400whp.....

atleast you know you got your moneys worth when the first three gears feel like first gear.....

You're underestimating the difference between 230whp/215 wtq to 450/400.

Sometimes 4th breaks loose. Third always does. I'm only running 235's though, for now. All of the gears pull like a muel really. Even 6th. Just the way boost works...

I need to get to the strip but last time I was there I was in the 13.9 range. Next time I'm predicting low 12's with my current tires. I also used to be automatic with no LSD or lightweight driveshaft but still it is a different beast altogether.

I do agree with building the block and pushing the limits. I went this route because I needed to get my AWD block out of there so I bought a RWD block with 30k on it. I will rebuild when it blows. At that point you're talking $30-$50k easy so a stock block turbo build is a great start IMO.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:04 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I'm only running 235's though, for now.

Well, dont know how credible breaking 4th with 400whp with 235s are. That's a muthr fawkin 30mms skinnier than my OEM tires.
The following users liked this post:
bboypuertoroc (11-24-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Anything that isnt necessary to your survival is a waste of money. That means anything outside of shelter and food is a waste.

With thats said, ive spent over 35k to build my car. Spent another 10k on wheels this year alone. But i dont consider these to be "a waste of money". why? Its simple, i can afford it.

By afford im not talking i have 11k in the bank so i spend 10k on wheels. No. Being able to afford it means you can buy it TWICE with no help from the bank.

If you have to finance your build, you have bad priorities and youre wasting money. If you have to finance an 11 year old car with 100k miles, you cant afford it.

With all that said, i am happy with my 400whp. Sure i can easily dump more money into it and push it to 600whp, but to me, that is a waste of money. I cant use 600whp on the street. Hell, i can rarely even use my 400 as it is. Anyone who says another wise, arent driving their car , or they simply dont give gives crap about other peoples safety.

There is a limit to what is usefull on the streets and then there are guys who feel inferior and just needs to bump their hp to the max that they can.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Anything that isnt necessary to your survival is a waste of money. That means anything outside of shelter and food is a waste.

there an echo in here?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

teddy...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
I like having lots of HP, so when I stop next to a cute girl at a red light, I can pull away as fast as possible.
Awww do cute girls scare you to the point that you've got to get away as fast as possible?

Quick Reply: can a turbo kit be a waste of money?