Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

can a turbo kit be a waste of money?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal_VQ
Bro your turbo setup spends more time in the shop getting fixed than seeing any action on the street 😂😂😂 spend all that money modding a Nissan like a fk tard when you could of bought a z06 Ahahahahahahahajajaajajajanajaj

That maybe but my car looks better than yours, my wheels collection alone > your ride. Last i check, my car runs fine....

Also have i mention my car> yours? Pretty sure i did.....

Sooo i couldve gotten a z06... yea and? I couldve also bought a ferrari. I vouldve use the cash and invested and see dividends bigger than your paycheck. But you know, i enjoy my cars, people in the streets enjoys my cars. Im not selfconcious about my car. Yet here you are crying cause your car is a wasted effort and that a civic will make it look bad...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 AM
SoCal_VQ

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
And a supercharged 350z is a waste of money since a civic can make the same power for less than half...
Oh no! A vortech v3 setup is perfect for a daily and so reliable you would be jeoulos. I did all my bolt ons first and tuned then added the sc and retuned. Now I run the sc and every 3.5k miles (oil change) I remove the sc and run NA for 3.5k then bolt up the sc after the next 3.5k lmao do that with a turbo set up
Old 11-24-2015, 11:56 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

seems like a waste of time, always pulling parts
Old 11-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't see how this is even being debated. The 350Z has been out for 12 years. All the big power makers ran TT setups rather than SC's.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:04 PM
turboed350z

Oh no! A vortech v3 setup is perfect for a daily and so reliable you would be jeoulos. I did all my bolt ons first and tuned then added the sc and retuned. Now I run the sc and every 3.5k miles (oil change) I remove the sc and run NA for 3.5k then bolt up the sc after the next 3.5k lmao do that with a turbo set up
Gotta pull the sc and run it na for 3.5k miles... while i can daily mine, drive it like i stole it, and still sleep soundly at night... seems like mines more reliable...

Edit: if i want to drive an na 350z... ill just take my other one... let see you do that.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Then clearly the answer to this thread would be yes! A turbo or tt kit is a waste of money on a stock block because it will cost you double that of a supercharger to get the same power

It depends on the engine. An HR, your going to have a much higher limit. And a SC will be limited with that. You'll have to build the DE to get that power. Most people put in $30k to build and TT a DE to get 500-600, but you can TT a stock HR motor and spend half that on legit parts and come out in the same place.

And a supercharged 350z is a waste of money since a civic can make the same power for less than half...
IMO, for an HR, yes it is. For a DE, meh idk, because the limit is usually around 400-420whp. Unless someone wants to build thats all they can do. But then again, you always "want more" so when they decide to build they will lose some of the money put into that SC to switch over to a TT or T because all the big builds are turbo.

For me, a SC on an HR is a complete waste of money, no offense to those that have it, just simply because these stock motors can take +600whp when done right.

Bro your turbo setup spends more time in the shop getting fixed than seeing any action on the street ������ spend all that money modding a Nissan like a fk tard when you could of bought a z06 Ahahahahahahahajajaajajajanajaj

wait...wat? lol

I've never had to have anything "fixed." It's ran flawlessly, and makes stupid power for what it is. I've beat the spit outta it every time I take it out. Hasn't skipped a beat.
+600whp for 1500 rpms and 450 lb tq from 3800rpm to almost redline. No, this kit is seriously the ***** with the HR motor given it's power capability and power curve. This kit itself, excluding the turbos, is good for 1000hp. Only issues Ive had with it are fitment, but I fabbed a few things myself and about 99% of the issues are now corrected.

The biggest issue I've had with this setup is with the Uprev tuning software, thats screwed up my idle when the cold weather drops. Other than a cam sounding idle, it still runs fine. I'm going to do stand alone or piggy back next. I'm done with uprev.

I would not have any interest in a Z06. They are very common in my area and usually driven by older gentleman.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 11-24-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:50 PM
SoCal_VQ

We all know you can make any car fast if you dump money into it. Any car! With that being said why would anyone put 20k into boosting their 10k car?! A smart person would of bought a used m4 or a 911. Only a ricer would dump more money into a build than what the car is worth alone. And by the way if you could of afforded a Ferrari or z06 YOU WOULD OF BOUGHT IT instead of a 10 year old Nissan. So stop with your bs lies

Last edited by SoCal_VQ; 11-24-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
It depends on the engine. An HR, your going to have a much higher limit. And a SC will be limited with that. You'll have to build the DE to get that power. Most people put in $30k to build and TT a DE to get 500-600, but you can TT a stock HR motor and spend half that on legit parts and come out in the same place.

IMO, for an HR, yes it is. For a DE, meh idk, because the limit is usually around 400-420whp. Unless someone wants to build thats all they can do. But then again, you always "want more" so when they decide to build they will lose some of the money put into that SC to switch over to a TT or T because all the big builds are turbo.

For me, a SC on an HR is a complete waste of money, no offense to those that have it, just simply because these stock motors can take +600whp when done right.

wait...wat? lol

I've never had to have anything "fixed." It's ran flawlessly, and makes stupid power for what it is. I've beat the spit outta it every time I take it out. Hasn't skipped a beat.
+600whp for 1500 rpms and 450 lb tq from 3800rpm to almost redline. No, this kit is seriously the ***** with the HR motor given it's power capability and power curve. This kit itself, excluding the turbos, is good for 1000hp. Only issues Ive had with it are fitment, but I fabbed a few things myself and about 99% of the issues are now corrected.

The biggest issue I've had with this setup is with the Uprev tuning software, thats screwed up my idle when the cold weather drops. Other than a cam sounding idle, it still runs fine. I'm going to do stand alone or piggy back next. I'm done with uprev.

I would not have any interest in a Z06. They are very common in my area and usually driven by older gentleman.
i agree and disagree. coming from a de, i have to say anything is a waste of money as i can easily buy a v8, supercharge the crap out of it and be making 2x the power for 1/2 the price.

with that said, lets say the hr is rated for 600whp. even then, you spent around 15k for that (minus the suspensions, brakes and other knickknacks). even then, i can take the 15k, dump it into a supra, a shelby, or an ls and still make more.

like it has been said in this thread. everything is a waste of money. but some wastes it on fun, some wastes it on piece of mind knowing their turbo set up wont blow. some waste it on blows and hookers.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:59 PM
turboed350z

We all know you can make any car fast if you dump money into it. Any car! With that being said why would anyone put 20k into boosting their 10k car?! A smart person would of bought a used m4 or a 911. Only a ricer would dump more money into a build than what the car is worth alone. And by the way if you could of afforded a Ferrari or z06 YOU WOULD OF BOUGHT IT instead of a 10 year old Nissan. So stop with your bs lies
soooo youre telling me full race teams are ricers?

youre telling me with 35k into my z, 5k into my other z, 10k in wheels, the price of the Zs themself, i cant afford a 60k Ferrari? your math sucks worse than your build...
Old 11-24-2015, 01:08 PM
SoCal_VQ

Idk about a hr rated at 600 hp stock block cmon lets be real. Ive heard of them go boom with a lot less power. We're not putting the hr into the 2jz category now are we???!!!!and I'm fully content at 400 for a reliable daily and can give any car on the highway a go.

Last edited by SoCal_VQ; 11-24-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:11 PM
turboed350z

ive also heard of de going boom at 350 yet here i am with 400....
Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 PM
SoCal_VQ

ive also heard of de going boom at 350 yet here i am with 400....
We all know torque is what blows these vq's and obviously a turbo setup isn't producing that power in a subtle linear fashion as a supercharger. You without a doubt have to build a vq engine for turbo regardless if it's a de revup or hr. Superchargers are plug n play for the most part as long as the tune is right.and I don't have to I choose to remove my sc setup every oil change to prolong my engine. If you think about it it's a great idea

Last edited by SoCal_VQ; 11-24-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:34 PM
turboed350z

We all know torque is what blows these vq's and obviously a turbo setup isn't producing that power in a subtle linear fashion as a supercharger. You without a doubt have to build a vq engine for turbo regardless if it's a de revup or hr. Superchargers are plug n play for the most part as long as the tune is right.and I don't have to I choose to remove my sc setup every oil change to prolong my engine. If you think about it it's a great idea
so i have to build my engine? wow wish i knew that. wonder why it hasnt blown sitting at 400whp turboed.... doing multiple pulls in full boost every week.....

again....
Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

You without a doubt have to build a vq engine for turbo regardless if it's a de revup or hr.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand false.

... and I don't have to I choose to remove my sc setup every oil change to prolong my engine. If you think about it it's a great idea
If you think about it, it's a stupid idea. You're gloating about the reliability of a supercharger but then think it's a swell idea to swap it on/off every oil change for... reliability.

[img[http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/284933/resized_baaab-meme-generator-are-u-a-traffic-sign-because-stop-19b274.jpg[/img]
Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM
SoCal_VQ

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand false.

If you think about it, it's a stupid idea. You're gloating about the reliability of a supercharger but then think it's a swell idea to swap it on/off every oil change for... reliability.

[img[http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/284933/resized_baaab-meme-generator-are-u-a-traffic-sign-because-stop-19b274.jpg[/img]
A turbo de is not going to last lmao. I uninstall and reinstall my setup that often for inspections and to make sure everything is working properly. more for peace of mind and plus it's my hobby. I guarantee you a turbo de will kaboom way before a supercharger will at the same power level on the stock block! Facts!!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 PM
turboed350z

A turbo de is not going to last lmao. I uninstall and reinstall my setup that often for inspections and to make sure everything is working properly. more for peace of mind and plus it's my hobby. I guarantee you a turbo de will kaboom way before a supercharger will at the same power level on the stock block! Facts!!

Mine hasnt kaboom yet... but then again, i did spent 35k on it.... guess reliability comes with a cost....
Old 11-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Nismo350z#0310

I have a Nismo, kelly blue book still has it sitting near $25k. But that doesn't matter. I bought the car new off the showroom floor 8 years ago for $38k. I traded in my 2005 Touring which I had since new as well. I've had her for a good while, I could have purchased many other things. I've got the house I want and the car I want. They're are only 79 black 2007 Nismos made. I don't care for a Porsche with worst depreciation, a Ferrari with horrid reliability, I z06 that are just not my thing. I don't really like the GTRs and the only thing I could think that I may would rather have than a Nismo 350z is maybe a Supra, but only if it were in the 4 digits of horsepower.

It's about what you prefer. I don't put a monetary value on a car, it boils down to what you like. Trust me, I've had 8 years to sell this car, but instead have put a lot into it. And it's a conversational starter every where I go. That's ok with me. My car in its current state Id take over any car you'd name, save a hypercar. That's just me.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 11-24-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Nismo350z#0310

An HR maintained properly and tuned properly can support 600whp. I only know of three blown HR engines. 1, a boost malfunction spiked to 16psi, another had a case of bad gas (running at 540ish whp) he actually was in a class action lawsuit and got money for it, and another bought a GTM kit out of country had a flash tune and ran it around in the high 400s without ever tuning it.

The HR has the same internals and weak points of the VHR and there are several in the mid 600s (including my own shop) and still running fine.

My current setup has been 2 years and I run it up through the gears every time I take it out. Not a hiccup yet. I've had several track passes and at least 6 hours of giving it hell on the dyno (3 tunes).

Do I think 600 is a reliable setup for the street? Yes.
Do I think it could go around a racetrack for a season? Idk, probably not.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 11-24-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM
SoCal_VQ

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
I have a Nismo, kelly blue book still has it sitting near $25k. But that doesn't matter. I bought the car new off the showroom floor 8 years ago for $38k. I traded in my 2005 Touring which I had since new as well. I've had her for a good while, I could have purchased many other things. I've got the house I want and the car I want. They're are only 79 black 2007 Nismos made. I don't care for a Porsche with worst depreciation, a Ferrari with horrid reliability, I z06 that are just not my thing. I don't really like the GTRs and the only thing I could think that I may would rather have than a Nismo 350z is maybe a Supra, but only if it were in the 4 digits of horsepower.

It's about what you prefer. I don't put a monetary value on a car, it boils down to what you like. Trust me, I've had 8 years to sell this car, but instead have put a lot into it. And it's a conversational starter every where I go. That's ok with me. My car in its current state Id take over any car you'd name, save a hypercar. That's just me.
Umm no. Nismo 350z with 30-40k miles go for 20k as of now. I'm sure yours has close to 100k if not more lol so let's be real when stating what our cars are worth
Old 11-24-2015, 03:33 PM
turboed350z

Umm no. Nismo 350z with 30-40k miles go for 20k as of now. I'm sure yours has close to 100k if not more lol so let's be real when stating what our cars are worth
I wouldnt talk about "being real" when you think people need to build their engines to run a turbo setup....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can a turbo kit be a waste of money?