Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does a 2007 Base have cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Tony1M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a 2007 Base have cruise control?

According to this site:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2007-Ni...0Z-Trims-c7906
it does not.

The reason I ask is that, because of my really long legs, I absolutely must have cruise control.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Negative. It can be added but a pita
Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Tony1M

Dam*it!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Nope. No base models have cruise.

It doesn't bother me. The only thing that bugged me with the base is have the open diff, which I solved by putting in an OEM VLSD.

Look for an enthusiast. On the HR I believe you get cruise, TCS, steering wheel audio controls, and auto dimming mirror.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Tony1M

Is the steering wheel the one and only place where the cruise-control controls are located on the 350Z?

Further, could a 350Z that has the steering wheel shown in the photo below possibly have OEM cruise control?
Name:  steering%20wheel_zpsxcgtcu67.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Tony1M
Is the steering wheel the one and only place where the cruise-control controls are located on the 350Z?

Further, could a 350Z that has the steering wheel shown in the photo below possibly have OEM cruise control?
1) from factory, yes
2) no
Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Tony1M

Originally Posted by jhc
1) from factory, yes
2) no
Thanks very much (unfortunately).
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Glad to help. Thanks for asking legit qs in a polite manner.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Tony1M

I remember the days before the general advent of cruise control -- driving down the highway on a long trip trying to maintain constant speed at the speed limit, and having to glance down at the speedometer every few seconds. What a PIA! I won't do it again. Give me cruise or give me ....................cruise.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Blu Hvn

Some years ago I was talking to a woman who had a Base model but I saw a lever on the laft side of the steering column.

I commented "I have never seen a Base model with cruise control added." She asked what I meant. I explained that Z with factory cruise control had the switches on the steering wheel. Hers was obviously a Base.

Her response was "Oh no. This car came with cruise control. Only the fancier models got the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel."

Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi Tony,

As others have said, the base models do not have CC, but if your DIY skills are not half bad, you can install OEM CC on a base model 350Z with only an hour or two of labor at a reasonable cost. The most costly of this install is having the CC function on the ECU unlocked/enabled. I posted a link below to the thread discussing this. I did the install on my 2006 350Z and it wasn't really bad. It only becomes a serious PITA if you decide you want to swap your cluster to have the gauge cluster indicator LEDs working.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...oem-parts.html

-Icer
Old 05-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Tony1M

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hi Tony,

As others have said, the base models do not have CC, but if your DIY skills are not half bad, you can install OEM CC on a base model 350Z with only an hour or two of labor at a reasonable cost. The most costly of this install is having the CC function on the ECU unlocked/enabled. I posted a link below to the thread discussing this. I did the install on my 2006 350Z and it wasn't really bad. It only becomes a serious PITA if you decide you want to swap your cluster to have the gauge cluster indicator LEDs working.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...oem-parts.html

-Icer
Thanks! Very interesting read.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Tony1M

And, BTW, the vehicle I was considering is from the US, so I'd also want to change the gauge face with one from here:
http://www.blackcatcustom.ca/Nissan%20350Z.htm
that has kilometers as the larger-font, outermost scale.

Any up-to-date estimate of what it would typically cost to have the CC function enabled?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

OEM parts are cheap, less than $150.00 new, a used cluster from an auto recycler can typically be found for $100.00, but you will need to verify that it was from a non-base model (touring, track, etc). Expect to pay another $50-100 to have the mileage reading on the replacement cluster re-programmed to match the actual mileage of your Z.

Now the expensive portion is reflashing your vehicle's ECU, most people are using Uprev's software/license to have the CC function enabled. Typically done through a tuner shop, but there are most likely other methods. This part gets a little tricky since the ROM file needed for the reflash is specific to the model/revision of the vehicle's ECU.

The price for this will vary depending on the tuner shop. I'm not sure if Uprev offers a discounted ROM specifically for this, some tuner shops might even offer a package for this install. I documented the procedure and sent it to my local tuner shop and told him he should offer this to those who have base model Zs. Maybe not the cluster work because that is PITA with high risk of breaking things. But the pedal sensors and CC switches on the steering wheel are easy to handle. The rest is updating the ROM.

Me personally, I already had an Uprev license mated to my Z's ECU (been a while, but I think it cost me $600.00 including Dyno/tune time from the shop). Later on, I just had to update the ROM for CC functionality. I did all the install work and just drove in. Laptop + OBDII cable and a few seconds later CC was working.

Ballpark range I think will be around $600-800 for everything, including cluster. Which is honestly not bad for OEM CC, if you go the Uprev route, you have the ability to fine tune your engine for boltons, etc. So the way I see it, it's a win/win.

Many consider this a big hassle, and it is once you get involved with changing the cluster. If you're not already stuck with the car, then I would recommend just purchasing a non-base Z and save yourself the trouble. But of course if you find a super clean base model Z for a good price, going this route is worth considering.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purposely bought base 8yrs ago, for obv reasons, less **** to turn iff/go wrong, exchange anyways....but the cc a real ***** on long rd trips, so yeah buy above models or install
Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Tony1M

Originally Posted by icer5160
OEM parts are cheap, less than $150.00 new, a used cluster from an auto recycler can typically be found for $100.00, but you will need to verify that it was from a non-base model (touring, track, etc). Expect to pay another $50-100 to have the mileage reading on the replacement cluster re-programmed to match the actual mileage of your Z.

Now the expensive portion is reflashing your vehicle's ECU, most people are using Uprev's software/license to have the CC function enabled. Typically done through a tuner shop, but there are most likely other methods. This part gets a little tricky since the ROM file needed for the reflash is specific to the model/revision of the vehicle's ECU.

The price for this will vary depending on the tuner shop. I'm not sure if Uprev offers a discounted ROM specifically for this, some tuner shops might even offer a package for this install. I documented the procedure and sent it to my local tuner shop and told him he should offer this to those who have base model Zs. Maybe not the cluster work because that is PITA with high risk of breaking things. But the pedal sensors and CC switches on the steering wheel are easy to handle. The rest is updating the ROM.

Me personally, I already had an Uprev license mated to my Z's ECU (been a while, but I think it cost me $600.00 including Dyno/tune time from the shop). Later on, I just had to update the ROM for CC functionality. I did all the install work and just drove in. Laptop + OBDII cable and a few seconds later CC was working.

Ballpark range I think will be around $600-800 for everything, including cluster. Which is honestly not bad for OEM CC, if you go the Uprev route, you have the ability to fine tune your engine for boltons, etc. So the way I see it, it's a win/win.

Many consider this a big hassle, and it is once you get involved with changing the cluster. If you're not already stuck with the car, then I would recommend just purchasing a non-base Z and save yourself the trouble. But of course if you find a super clean base model Z for a good price, going this route is worth considering.
The ideal thing would be to buy a vehicle that already has CC at very good price, but I'll keep your great advice in mind as we shop around.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm surprised you guys actually use cruise control, I've had my z for 11 years and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used it for more than a minute or two and I've driven my z on countless road trips, one from NC to CA.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

i rarely used it in my 350, use it all the time in the vette
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

How come trav?
Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

heavy foot = crap gas mileage. at 85 i get like 21 mpg, one time i romped on it and got to 145 and it was reading 7 mpg

Quick Reply: Does a 2007 Base have cruise control?