Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

long tube header?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
HRmadness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long tube header?

Newbie question i know but im looking to doing berk hfc but im wondering if doen the line i decide to do long tube (ppe) headers will that eliminate the hfc or do they bolt up to them? Would it even benefit going with a header? I want personal experiences on this and not just assume.Also loooking to buy the s tune nismo exhaust... is there a difference in sound compare to the actual oem nismo? And i know there isnt much hp factor gain out of an exhaust but would it still perform or give somewhat same hp numbers compared to an aftermarket? I know going aftermarket shaves off a couple lbs as well. Anyone that can point me to the right direction i much more than appreciate it. Just got my 07 hr end of last year and looking to add
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

research is your friend, if you are going to do lth, why would you restrict it with nismo (some may disagree with me) not to mention you being in commifornia, you prob won't pass inspection . you would have to have an inline cat welded in somewhere
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Sash91

If you buy long tube headers, your cats will be eliminated. You can buy a Motordyne XYZ Y-Pipe. It will allow you to have one main cat which you can unbolt and switch back and forth with a straight pipe.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM
HRmadness

Originally Posted by Sash91
If you buy long tube headers, your cats will be eliminated. You can buy a Motordyne XYZ Y-Pipe. It will allow you to have one main cat which you can unbolt and switch back and forth with a straight pipe.
Well my thing is this do i need to have a cat? Other than smog purposes i dont think it even matters anymore because they dont run the newer cars on their dyno. They just scan the computer and i doubt they would look under the car for a header.... most people cant even tell since everything is so compact. But if i was to do the motordyne xyz pipe like you mentioned and swapped over to the cat converter only for smog purpuses it should pass inspection "if" they even notice it correct?

And what do you guys think is a lth worthed or not? Or just do hfc and call it good? Im not looking to do anything more than bolt ons and a tune. Can anyone pin point me to the right direction here on which parts i should consider such as cai/headers/exhaust? Im was looking into the nismo s tune exhaust but i dont want it to restrict my modding. Also i was considering the top speed pro n1 exhaust ... any thoughts? Is the oem nismo and s tune nismo the same sound or different? Ive researched many different opinons so im confused now.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 AM
travlee
Master

try to do the headers yourself and then let us know how long it takes you
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars that come in that sound like they have aftermarket exhausts, they will check under the car with a mirror or cameras, looking for cats.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM
kbailey91

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i put my vortech kit on i also put on long tube headers...it eliminated my cats, and i also then threw a SES light.. car wouldnt pass AZ emissions like that, so i took it to my tuner and we programmed and dynod the car, and he made it so that the computer didnt throw the code for the missing cats, and went to emission and they didnt look under my car with mirrors or anything they just plugged in the OBDII to check for codes, and check the seal on the gas cap... done and done.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 AM
travlee
Master

remember OP is in cali.... they are more strict
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 AM
kbailey91

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got it... thats why i made sure to specify i was in AZ.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

you will fail smog. also your car is still put on the sniffer test. just not as often. cars that are new 2014 + will get there first smog after 6 years of driving. all other cars not as new or 6 years old will need to get there cars smogged bi annually.

smog guys are not dumb .... 99% of smog techs are car enthusiast and know the difference between stock and modified exhaust.

Also facts found here :
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

also im running DC headers with z1 cat delete and greddy dual exhaust kinetix manifold and CAI. its loud and raspy. no significant horse power gain. from personal experience do 4.08 gears best mod i have ever done.

Last edited by Sleepiedaze; 05-21-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HRmadness
Well my thing is this do i need to have a cat? Other than smog purposes i dont think it even matters anymore because they dont run the newer cars on their dyno. They just scan the computer and i doubt they would look under the car for a header.... most people cant even tell since everything is so compact. But if i was to do the motordyne xyz pipe like you mentioned and swapped over to the cat converter only for smog purpuses it should pass inspection "if" they even notice it correct?

And what do you guys think is a lth worthed or not? Or just do hfc and call it good? Im not looking to do anything more than bolt ons and a tune. Can anyone pin point me to the right direction here on which parts i should consider such as cai/headers/exhaust? Im was looking into the nismo s tune exhaust but i dont want it to restrict my modding. Also i was considering the top speed pro n1 exhaust ... any thoughts? Is the oem nismo and s tune nismo the same sound or different? Ive researched many different opinons so im confused now.
I ran a 350Z with headers, test pipes, non-foulers. No problems with Check Engine Light. No problems passing emissions test.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 PM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
I ran a 350Z with headers, test pipes, non-foulers. No problems with Check Engine Light. No problems passing emissions test.
OP is here in cali. much stricter with emissions than AZ.