Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Second Z for Drifting!!! Let the BUILD BEGIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:46 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Got a Second Z for Drifting!!! Let the BUILD BEGIN!!!

What up everyone. Been on the forum a few years now. I have had an 04' roadster for a while, but have been looking to get rid of it and found the perfect replacement, because I wanted a hardtop with the newer motor for a good price. And I found it! So I'll give you the good and the bad of the car.
It a 2008 Base Model with 108K on it. It is salvage title.
The Bad:
- The paint looks like hell
- Rims were poorly maintained
- It needs a new clutch
- Someone used sheet metal screws inside the car to hold the paneling in...WTF
- There is currently no exhaust on it...Don't ask me what they were thinking
- Its leaking oil somewhere down below

NOW The GOOD:
- I only paid 4K
- The rims are ProDrive's! I'll be refinishing and selling. Anyone ever heard of their concave series? Find info on these rims is impossible.
- It will be a track car so inside gets stripped anyway (told the kid it would be my daily and it needed a lot more TLC
- It drives straight!
- Its an 08 with the VQ35HR motor
- and I am mechanically inclined so I am really looking forward to this project

So first things first. Once I am done moving in a couple weeks to a month (going from apt to house), I will begin pulling the car apart first doing a compression test to make sure engine is healthy. If motor is healthy keep it stock for now, if not it gets stripped and forged internals I swapped a clutch on my other Z so I am not too concerned about this one. I currently have some SPL parts and a Greddy True Dual exhaust sitting around. Coils I will be going to Odi at Feal Suspension in Ontario (I live 30min away ) Clutch and flywheel will be clutchmasters and I need to get a ZSpeed heady duty master and slave (their still on back order ) If Greddy has the garage sale again this year I'll probably snag the turbo there! So thats it for now I will be updating with pictures as the build goes.

Anyone who knows anything about ProDrive Rims please help. I still need to see what size and type they are. All I really know is they are made by Rays Engineering in Japan and are loved by rally car drivers and are not cheap. lol

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM
blue06z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.prodrive-japan.com/produc...ged/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prodrive-GC-...-/350372470733

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-tires...s-gc-010e.html

Last edited by blue06z; 05-25-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Nice find.. Good luck with the house. And the new car
Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

damn nice find! good luck with build and post alota pics =)
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get those kw v3 they are great
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Chugg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not just gonna throw an LS in it? I thought that's what every drift guy did on day 1 :-)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM
BH!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, a strong HR is all you need to absolutely rip. Please don't go for power for at least a couple of years if this is your first car. I've been drifting since 2007 and have NEVER felt the need for anything north of low 300's. So many idiot kids with V8s who show up for a season, total their car or don't learn **** and give up.

Nice find, nice parts, have fun!

Also, don't let people tell you the ebrake in these is bad. Just adjust it according to the FSM. Nobody seems to be able to figure that out and just hacks their **** up for a hydro, meanwhile I'm over here all like "mmmmm unmolested center console".
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the links! I was able to find some info, but cannot find anything on the "concave series".

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Nice find.. Good luck with the house. And the new car
Thanks man the house is a PITA to find. People for some reason dont always like renting to college age people

Originally Posted by Frank_White
damn nice find! good luck with build and post alota pics =)
Thanks I got really lucky! I will definitely be posting pics once i find a house. Looking forward to it!!!! From what it looks like I'll have to pull out the motor, small oil leak and with what I have heard about the HR motors they get a leak in the front oil gallery and oil pan gasket. I'm so used to DE motor problems. lol

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
get those kw v3 they are great
Those would be sweet, but can't afford $2400 for coils right now

Originally Posted by Chugg
Not just gonna throw an LS in it? I thought that's what every drift guy did on day 1 :-)
Hell no! hahaha. I am so over that crap, I hate how everyone does that. Twin Turbo built motor for me. And luckily socal has a large variety of shops to pick from

Originally Posted by BH!
Nice, a strong HR is all you need to absolutely rip. Please don't go for power for at least a couple of years if this is your first car. I've been drifting since 2007 and have NEVER felt the need for anything north of low 300's. So many idiot kids with V8s who show up for a season, total their car or don't learn **** and give up.

Nice find, nice parts, have fun!

Also, don't let people tell you the ebrake in these is bad. Just adjust it according to the FSM. Nobody seems to be able to figure that out and just hacks their **** up for a hydro, meanwhile I'm over here all like "mmmmm unmolested center console".
I promise not to go for power! I used to drift my 04 Z before deciding to sell it soon. I figure setup suspension completely first then go for more power. I hope to slay the V8's lol.
Yeah about the e-brake... I stretched my last one. lol. I drifted my friends 240 with a full hydro it was awesome. Definitely will be running it to its own caliper though. I'm going to have to hack it up because of how molested it is. I'll post some other pics today of just how bad the inside is.