Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How often is it safe to track/drag 350z?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 PM
dsmith8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often is it safe to track/drag 350z?

I know tracking or dragging a 350z is not good concerning any component of the car, but this is a sports car and I want to enjoy the full potential of the car. I don't have a 350z YET, still waiting on my uncle to have free time to test drive a 350z I have been wanting to buy for weeks now. But anyways I plan on using it the full summer and would like to bring it to a track or the drag strip a few times. I was wondering if it would be safe to track/drag this car with a few upgrades and only once or twice a month? Or just be gentle with it on the streets and enjoy cruising around town. Any feedback is welcomed, thanks!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At stock power the car will be fine going to the tracks. The life of the clutch will depend on how you drive.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith8
I know tracking or dragging a 350z is not good concerning any component of the car, but this is a sports car and I want to enjoy the full potential of the car. I don't have a 350z YET, still waiting on my uncle to have free time to test drive a 350z I have been wanting to buy for weeks now. But anyways I plan on using it the full summer and would like to bring it to a track or the drag strip a few times. I was wondering if it would be safe to track/drag this car with a few upgrades and only once or twice a month? Or just be gentle with it on the streets and enjoy cruising around town. Any feedback is welcomed, thanks!
Track/HPDE/canyons & hills, all good. People that don't drive 'em like they're meant to be driven, well, IMO, should drive Priuses (Prii?). Just my take.

Drags... well, I'm not into drags (despite my having done a lot in my youth) but sure, why not?

Two things, make sure you have the equipment to do so - before having the sanctioning bodies tell you to pack it up and go home. And, more importantly, make sure YOU AS THE DRIVER are up to it.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Go hit the track , keep hitting the track , then hit the track some more. I've been tracking mine since I got it in 2007
Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine as long as you don't do it everyday you should be fine, otherwise you might become too immune to the adrenaline rush or run the risk of becoming addicted.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 AM
catattack
Banned

Lmfao how much does it end up bringing your car to the track two to three times a month, also any necessary upgrades?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

The 350z was rated at the factor for only 9 track days. After that there was no guarantee the catalytic valves and hydraulic throttles would hold up to the abuse
Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

track.break.repair.repeat

oh, and keep your oil level topped up.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by catattack
Lmfao how much does it end up bringing your car to the track two to three times a month, also any necessary upgrades?
Tracking your car is like owning a boat or having a baby. If you actually think about how much it costs, no one would ever do it.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you can track it as much as you want but be aware if you push any car to crazy limits things wear down naturally this goes for any car.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Tracking your car is like having a baby.
So, like the worst thing ever?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Go hit the track , keep hitting the track , then hit the track some more. I've been tracking mine since I got it in 2007
is yours a dedicated track car? or do you drive it on the street as well? if so daily? or just weekend warrior?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

It is safe as these cars are pretty strong; however, with that being said, any time you track a car, you run the risk of breaking something.

I only started tracking my car after I felt that I was financially stable enough to cover potential repairs. Plus having a DD helps.

So basically if you are a teenager still in school maybe working part time, I would just enjoy the Z on the streets now so your parents don't have to pay for any expensive repairs if something were to happen.

Not trying to be mean, trying to help out. I learned the hard way by driving my first car like an a$$ and blew the transmission twice. Was working part time since I was still in school and had no money since every penny I was spending was in upgrades and other teenager things, so my parents covered me. Of course I had to pay them back, but looking back at it, I was a real idiot by doing that. Now I guess I can afford to be an idiot if I wanted to.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

my Z gets tracked about 2 time s month. in between track days just do a once over. check your fluids, brakes, lines, sparkplugs etc....

also keep a small amount set aside in case "oh ****" happens. it will your on a track things will break its the nature of the sport.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

The other issue is brakes- the Brembos really add a lot to the longevity of the brakes in a Z. Particularly if you have the early OEM brakes, there's just not enough heat sink capacity to keep the brakes functioning for a long track day.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get z1 upgraded brakes for non brembo, drilled and slotted rotors and hp pads.... Made a night and day difference on my z.

As for tracking or drag racing, buy yourself a reliable dd so the z can be parked for repairs and upgrades. Have a financial cushion of a grand set aside for repairs or towing.

These cars can take some beating and still remain reliable aslong as you keep up with maintenance. I've personally put 60k miles on my z the past 3 years as a dd. Drag racing, 800 mile round trips....

Last edited by Toneloc; 06-17-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_White
is yours a dedicated track car? or do you drive it on the street as well? if so daily? or just weekend warrior?
It started as a daily, was a daily for 5 years and tracked the whole time now it only comes out to hit the track. 157k miles and valve covers have never been off.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
vtec to vvel

I don't have a 350z YET, still waiting on my uncle to have free time to test drive a 350z I have been wanting to buy for weeks now. But anyways I plan on using it the full summer and would like to bring it to a track or the drag strip a few times. I was wondering if it would be safe to track/drag this car with a few upgrades and only once or twice a month? Or just be gentle with it on the streets and enjoy cruising around town. Any feedback is welcomed, thanks!
1. you shouldn't worry about how to cross a bridge before actually getting to it (i.e. get the 350Z first).
2. why do you need someone else to test drive the car for you?
3. if you have to ask if it's safe to track a car, then for you, it probably isn't. based on your post, you probably don't know how to drive stick.
4. you probably shouldn't be buying a 350Z.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 PM
dsmith8

Originally Posted by vtec to vvel
1. you shouldn't worry about how to cross a bridge before actually getting to it (i.e. get the 350Z first).
2. why do you need someone else to test drive the car for you?
3. if you have to ask if it's safe to track a car, then for you, it probably isn't. based on your post, you probably don't know how to drive stick.
4. you probably shouldn't be buying a 350Z.
1. First of all, get all the information before being a douche
2. My uncle is a mechanic so he is going to come with me to check the car out.
3. I was just looking for some advice from experienced 350z drivers
4. Yes I know how to drive a tick

Go waste your time somewhere else, thanks

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback it has been very informative and helpful

Last edited by dsmith8; 06-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM
vtec to vvel

1. First of all, get all the information before being a douche
2. My uncle is a mechanic so he is going to come with me to check the car out.
3. I was just looking for some advice from experienced 350z drivers
4. Yes I know how to drive a tick

Go waste your time somewhere else, thanks

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback it has been very informative and helpful
get butt-hurt so easily?

1. get all the information? you said you don't have a 350Z, so why worry about anything? get the car first.
2. you didn't mention about your uncle being a mechanic until you replied, so how about you furnish all the info first.
3. the 350Z being a sports car and being known to be tracked, yet you still have to ask if it's safe to track? common sense dude.
4. okay a few things here. i think you got mixed up with the numbers and questions, as i mentioned driving stick (not tick) in #3.

btw, it was YOU who did say "any feedback is welcomed".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often is it safe to track/drag 350z?