Which cars try to race you on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
A lot of truck guys around this state and they bug me the most; annoying like at a light and some jacked up turbo diesel is reving up next to me in a cloud of black smoke just asking for it. I'm sure that they don't like sports cars and these cats seem to have plenty of attitude. No doubt some of those trucks are fast, but I've had to have a little talk with a couple of 'em and they end up complimenting the Z and wonder what kind of exhaust they just heard.
Sup, BigBlue?
Long time!...how's your car?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey there jhc! The car is running great and loving the little sucka', but man we are into a heat wave; going up to around 110 in a day or two so I try to get anything done in the a.m. How is your car running these days?

Originally Posted by jhc
Sup, BigBlue?
Long time!...how's your car?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hey there jhc! The car is running great and loving the little sucka', but man we are into a heat wave; going up to around 110 in a day or two so I try to get anything done in the a.m. How is your car running these days?
Like a top, man, 86K on my '06 ZR.
Just put on Enkei RPF1s
9.5X18+15. 265/35/18 fr
10.5X18 +15 295/35/18 rr

BS 760's, bc dd.
Way behind you, sir.
Enjoy your week!
; )
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Zelda06

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of truck guys around this state and they bug me the most; annoying like at a light and some jacked up turbo diesel is reving up next to me in a cloud of black smoke just asking for it. I'm sure that they don't like sports cars and these cats seem to have plenty of attitude. No doubt some of those trucks are fast, but I've had to have a little talk with a couple of 'em and they end up complimenting the Z and wonder what kind of exhaust they just heard.
Just watch out for the commrail cummins and duramax's. EFILive is an awesome tool.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelda06
My favorite so far was my dad. We were going out to eat together my wife and me in my Z and my mom and dad in my moms 300c hemi. I told my wife when we left their house, "he is going to try to race me if no one is in front of us at a light and i'm not backing down." she rolls her eyes. We got the perfect break in traffic and we took off. It was pretty much an even race and we both let off at 80.
My step dad did this when he was in town in a rental. I HAD to give him a clutch kick just to see him smile. I'm hard to get to race though... Too much at stake even if everyone walks away fine.

My fiancé will ALWAYS try to beat me home if we drive separately. She's way ballsy too taking 55mph turns at 65 (lulz at 08 Dodge Avenger with 65 series sidewalls rollin over). I think it's funny when I'm in the Mazda 3 (non speed3) and I'm bangin gears just to get up to 55

When I'm in the Z I'll just downshift into 4th on the freeway and wait for her to gun it. Then I just laugh at her while the Z effortlessly pulls away... then I let up and she'll catch up, and pass her again... just like fast and furious races where it's back and forth over and over... never even breaking the speed limit.

Holy truth batman(bigblue)!!! In Iowa you can imagine the truck scene being pretty popular due to farms and general redneckery. University is a crappy pothole filled street where people "cruise" on Friday/Saturday. I've taken the Z maybe 3 times and it was ALL trucks trying to race. Even IF I wanted to, I could never make it over those bumps at even the 45 speed limit. but yea, trucks always frontin/hatin.

Crotch rockets too. I was on the freeway and one got right next to me and downshifted to 2nd or 3rd and his exhaust was SCREAMING and with my windows down it almost made me sick. He kept looking over time and time again and I SERIOUSLY considered Mario kart-ing him and chucking something out the window. But, I took the exit instead.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelda06
Just watch out for the commrail cummins and duramax's. EFILive is an awesome tool.
You are absolutely right. Many sports car owners (basically all makes) don't realize that the big bad truck is much faster than they ever realize and that there are trucks out there that will smoke some fast cars. Some friends of mine in SLC go to the Rocky Mt. Raceway for midnight drags (popular up there) and when the dust settles and all of the hot muscle cars and modded imports have finished their 1/4 runs, often it is a turbo diesel modded truck that lays down the fastest time of the night. *monster TQ! I saw a guy fairly recently getting on the freeway ahead of me (big pipe sticking straight up from it's bed), he stomped on it and I couldn't believe that a truck could accelerate like he did. I guess that it's just hard for us car guys to swallow, but as much as I hate to say it there are some way fast trucks out there; a lot of wanna be's, but some are beasts.

Last edited by BigBlue; 06-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 PM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Different story here in Sweden. People are so preoccupied looking average-normal-don't stick out mind your own business that even though you notice them checking your car out they try to hide it.
It's also almost like you feel the commuters dislike you through their "stare straight ahead and stay swedish" faces...

So not much action over here.

The only ones that bother me are 3 series beemers that all think they're in M3s and the odd bike that I don't stand a chance against so I just let them have their fun.

One time though I forgot the girlfriend was sitting next to me as a guy in an AMG rolled up next and gave it some when we rolled off. He must have been in eco-mode because he should have humiliated me?
Had to back off because there was a shrieking noise coming from somewhere around the passenger seat area. Yeah, I didn't get any that night.

It's a different story when you get to the "professional" illegal street racing here though. I stay away from that since if I turned up in my Z I would be the "kid in a ricer civic". It's all 1000hp Supras, 800hp Evos and insane 1000hp Turbo V8 Volvo 240s on drag slicks.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:40 PM
JoseValencia27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a Mclaren P1 behind me once
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by JoseValencia27
I got a Mclaren P1 behind me once
i seriously doubt he was trying to race though.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 AM
tatman7

most recently a pos ford focus 4 dr, took my dad out for a spin after installing the new cat back, turn a corner and all we hear is tire screeching. look in the rear view and here comes mr d bag doing prob 65 in a 25mph with a church across the street on a single lane road. gets on my bumper and starts reving. my dad looks over and says what the hell is this guy doing, its a one lane road and there is a stop sign in less than a block. so I told him if the guy turns up here on this two lane and does that again I am going to dust him. guy gets to the corner and turns the opposite way. wow.

my other top car is the prius owners, really do they think these things are fast. must have had 3-4 already this summer fly up to me on the highway doing 7-8 over the speed limit and they stop by the window look over then punch it, so I always drop to 4th stomp on it and wave as I go by. drop it back to 7-8 over and continue on my way.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by tatman7
my other top car is the prius owners, really do they think these things are fast. must have had 3-4 already this summer fly up to me on the highway doing 7-8 over the speed limit and they stop by the window look over then punch it, so I always drop to 4th stomp on it and wave as I go by. drop it back to 7-8 over and continue on my way.

why you feel the need to prove something against a prius
Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

In truth, a Jag F-Type vert wanted to have some fun a while back. We did a little high end on the open road, which was fun, but we were not competing for obvious reasons.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
tatman7

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
why you feel the need to prove something against a prius
I do not feel the need to prove to anyone on the road, more for fun. If i wanted to prove a point to a prius driver I would have left him long behind me as so he would not even see the rear of the car. as I stated give it a shot in 4th and continue at my regular speed I was driving at. it was not like we were racing down the highway to prove who was faster.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

I wouldnt have much fun against a prius
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

OK people, don't underestimate Priuses (Priii?) or many hybrid/electrics.

Electric motored cars have the capability of out-accelerating many a Z-car - save for perhaps models with FI. Note that I said "capability", not necessarily actual performance but lots of potential for tweaking... with modern tune setup and the use of inverters and other ELECTRICAL PERFORMANCE tweaks, some can have brute acceleration.

Case in point re: electrics - I was recently invited to attend a special event (trying to sell me something) by Tesla at the Inn At Harbor Bay (Pebble Beach) and had the opportunity to drive not just the standard Tesla Model S but the Model S P85D. Dual motor, total combined equivalent power output: 600+, no joke.

Holy cr*p.... is almost what I did in my pants. I've not felt that type of fluid acceleration since driving a Formula ATL car. Whew. There is little doubt that that sedan - which has NO BUSINESS accelerating like that - would eat all three of my Z's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wife's car does 60 in about 4.2 secs. Now drop yet another second off the P85D's 0-60.

Beware and give some respect.

PS Our Highlander is a hybrid.... and while mileage is just marginally better than "normal" all-petrol models, the acceleration is quite good and I have to be careful to keep it under 80 because it's so quiet and smooth.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-25-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:24 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I get emails about those Tesla test drives a lot. I need to finally go to one.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not specific to cars. People in beat up crapboxes always drive like douchebags around me. I constantly get people trying to show off for some reason.

Pro-tip; people in convertibles don't street race. We don't need to make up for having a shriveled little dog dick between our legs.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Windows up, exhaust is loud, and I can't really hear if people are trying to act stupid.

I did get a slammed G35 on homie sized bling blings wanting to do some monkey racing on the freeway the other night. Best part, 2 cars back was a motorcycle cop, and he got pulled over after he took off from lunging next to me.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:25 AM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I have not had my Z for long but I have had one instance around 2am coming from tacobell and some civic redlined like crazy next to me when I was in a turning lane.. 2 secs later I get pulled over for my L plate light flickering lol. I thought I was going to be accused for street racing or something .
Old 06-25-2015, 12:21 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Only had one. Like an 05 mustang gt. he wasn't worth my time, but I pulled from him on the highway to prove a point.

Quick Reply: Which cars try to race you on the road?