Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ticking, knocking or rocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
D.R0905

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticking, knocking or rocking sound

Hey guys and girls. I own an 05z with 155k miles on it. Recently I started hearing noises when I turn the car on in the morning. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine. I've done research but can't pin point on what the problem could be. Anyone had this problem already? I'm leaning towards engine knock but not too sure. Any advice, help? I have a sound video that I can try to upload our I can put it on YouTube so y'all can hear it. Please and thank you.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:54 PM
FairladyBlue

ask your dad to check the oil level
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by FairladyBlue
ask your dad to check the oil level
I respectfully ask the question: "What was the purpose of your snide response??" The OP posed a reasonable question that he has researched and yet is still unfamiliar with the possible issue. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is your type of remark that further diminishes the already declining signal:noise ratio on this forum.

If you are indeed the sage mechanic that your response seems to indicate that you think you are AND you can render an accurate e-diagnosis without actual hands on, then by all means, POST IT. Doing so in this manner gives everyone reading the thread information that they might be able to use in the future.

Negativity of the kind in your response benefits NO ONE. All it does is let everyone know that you really don't know the answer (and no one can without actual hands on the problem) and that you are merely arm chair quarterbacking and sniping from the comfort and anonymity behind your screen and keyboard.

If one has nothing to contribute to a thread, just don't say anything. If you do have info - even speculation - make your contribution worthwhile. Your response turns everyone off - new members, salty veterans, and everybody in between. The more positivity on the forum, the better it is for all.

Answer a question in the way you'd like to be responded to. With respect. You may indeed be a veteran, but you started at a point of unknowing as well.

Mic
Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 AM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by D.R0905
Hey guys and girls. I own an 05z with 155k miles on it. Recently I started hearing noises when I turn the car on in the morning. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine. I've done research but can't pin point on what the problem could be. Anyone had this problem already? I'm leaning towards engine knock but not too sure. Any advice, help? I have a sound video that I can try to upload our I can put it on YouTube so y'all can hear it. Please and thank you.
We wont be able to help you with the information you provided. First, passenger side of engine is a pretty broad location. Are you saying the noise is internal (engine) or just in that area? If area, it can be anything from a loose heat shield, to worn out pulley, or engine mount. It can also be something simple, like the plenum rubbing on the strut bar. I say post a video and maybe we can help. Other than that, we need more information. Like: does the noise go away after start up? Do you hear it on cold starts only? Does the noise go away when the car is moving? Does the noise get louder when revving, etc.

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 07-05-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Video.

Description is too broad. If you think it's that bad take it to a mechanic.

All engines make noise. Could be anything like said. Lifter tick is what my money is on. It's normal to a certain degree.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Is your check engine light on? And are you still able to drive your car or does it go away? Most people call me when they have Ticking, knocking or rocking sounds. And I tow their car to a mechanic or junk yard.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:58 AM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

"Ask your dad to check the oil?"

Thanks for posting your comment...I'll be remembering your name so I completely ignore your posts.

Be an adult or find another playground.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 07-05-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You're only getting a knocking sound? No misfires?

Really you'll need to take it to a mechanic or the dealership for a free inspection. They can at least accurately diagnose it for you I'd think.

Hope this helps,

Saved
Old 07-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of your dad checking the oil level did you check your oil level?

Is there a check engine light? Is it an rpm dependent noise?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM
michaelmoon912

If it lasts for a half second to a second and then disappears right when it fires, its probably the timing guides and tensioners. My 05 has started making a little rattle (if you can imagine the sound of a chain being pulled across an edge of something) for a split second on startup and im at 152k. it goes away after a second, but i imagine in 20000 more miles it will be time for a rebuild. I am just going to rebuild the whole assembly when i put the cams in.

Last edited by michaelmoon912; 07-05-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I respectfully ask the question: "What was the purpose of your snide response??" The OP posed a reasonable question that he has researched and yet is still unfamiliar with the possible issue. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is your type of remark that further diminishes the already declining signal:noise ratio on this forum.

If you are indeed the sage mechanic that your response seems to indicate that you think you are AND you can render an accurate e-diagnosis without actual hands on, then by all means, POST IT. Doing so in this manner gives everyone reading the thread information that they might be able to use in the future.

Negativity of the kind in your response benefits NO ONE. All it does is let everyone know that you really don't know the answer (and no one can without actual hands on the problem) and that you are merely arm chair quarterbacking and sniping from the comfort and anonymity behind your screen and keyboard.

If one has nothing to contribute to a thread, just don't say anything. If you do have info - even speculation - make your contribution worthwhile. Your response turns everyone off - new members, salty veterans, and everybody in between. The more positivity on the forum, the better it is for all.

Answer a question in the way you'd like to be responded to. With respect. You may indeed be a veteran, but you started at a point of unknowing as well.

Mic
Thanks, Mic for your well thought out, and well worded post. You and me, dcains and dkmura are turning this ship around.
If you cannot be positive, go watch espn and do not post here.

Mahalo Mic.
jc
Old 07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Mic
You sir, give me hope that the world isn't traveling the path similar to Mike Judge's Idiocracy.

OP, I'll give my best e-diagnostic with a little more info on your situation
Old 07-07-2015, 04:42 AM
D.R0905

Sorry for the late reply, it sounds internal. During warn up it sounds like a diesel. After coming to full warm up it goes away but comes back for a few revolutions while driving. I haven't moved it for about 4 days because I'm afraid it's something serious and I haven't had time to put my hands on it. I'll put the video on YouTube and send y'all the link here in a few. I've done more research people day fuel dampers bit other say that's not it. I'll post up the video and link tho.

And thank you everyone that's willing to help out, I really appreciate it!!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:48 AM
D.R0905

350z engine noise:

That's what I'm getting, sorry for the bad graphics but that's the noise. I do have a CEL but because I have test pipes. And no misfires at all. No change in rpms while at idle either. I'ma drain the oil today to see if I have metal shavings or not. I'll keep y'all updated!! Much love guys!!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't diagnose but dayum, that sounds no bueno.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 AM
D.R0905

^^ lol doesn't make me feel any better..
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Do you have a massive crack in your test pipe thats a pretty wierd sounding z. If you think its internal I would get it towed to a shop. It doesnt sound as bad as the jeep grand Cherokee I had when the connecting rod broke and the engine kept running for a short time. But it does sound more like a diesel then the 2013 cummins 6.7 that I drive all day.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 07-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

he has the unicorn diesel 350. check for exhaust leaks
Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 PM
D.R0905

Exhaust leak can cause that noise? I'll reinstall the test pipes but I've been running with them for about 3 months no problem. My buddy has a g35 and he just started getting something similar like that.

Last edited by D.R0905; 07-07-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:11 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

if you cracked one, it could cause that sound

Quick Reply: Ticking, knocking or rocking sound