350Z Race Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
You're welcome, JBJ. Creating this thread is my attempt to put more substance on the board. Tired of looking at all the wanna-be threads and builds that make the Z slower in some variation. Let's talk about the stuff that makes the Z faster or more reliable on the track!
And the campaign for president just heated up.

President of what is not the question. Who cares? The man speaks truth!!

Seriously, this is the best thread to come along in a long time! Congrats on the T1 win!!! Awesome!!

Mic
Old 07-29-2015, 04:48 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Thanks Mic, I'm a fan of your latest thread as well. Hopefully, this will encourage plenty of more interesting posts going forward!

SCCA also put up post-race interviews from Sunday's Majors race, so 350Z fans can see this punter:

http://www.scca.com/videos/1971682
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks Mic, I'm a fan of your latest thread as well. Hopefully, this will encourage plenty of more interesting posts going forward!

SCCA also put up post-race interviews from Sunday's Majors race, so 350Z fans can see this punter:

http://www.scca.com/videos/1971682
Again, totally awesome, David!!

For all: take note that David won in a class two up from where the Z33 normally slots in! So, the other guy broke.... hey, a win is a win!!

Also great to put a face to a screen name!!

Cheers,

Mic
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Mobil 1 0-40W is a Group V synthetic oil with good UOA results with the VQ (see separate thread). It actually pours more like a 30 weight oil and flows better at low temps (like we have in the fall and spring here in Colorado), but can also protect in the blazing heat of summer like we have now.

Second- shifting at redline in near 100 degree heat has always maxed out the cooling capacity of my HR. And short shifting is NOT granny shifting- you still need to be quick with your hand and the clutch, but rather than shifting at 7500 RPM, I'll cut it to 7200 and then lower my shift points in 200 RPM increments until I get that water temp down.

Lap after lap, as I blasted down the front straight, I noticed the water temps rising past halfway and towards the top of the gauge. You DO NOT want to hit limp mode on the racetrack as it will destroy your race in short order. At PMP, short shifting really only impacted my top end speed (102 vs 108 MPH), as I used fifth gear rather than pull though fourth at the end of the straight. Threshold braking was still tricky and I doubt many grannys would approve of my technique to cool off the Z...

Would you advise using a 5-40 for me here in SoCal where is hot 90% of the year?

also 300 rmps keeps your Temps down? Crazy
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Would you advise using a 5-40 for me here in SoCal where is hot 90% of the year?

also 300 rmps keeps your Temps down? Crazy
I'd advise you to read the UOA thread here and decide for yourself what brand and viscosity is best for your Z. There are a few good quality 5W-30W conventional oils that have had good results, but the only way to know for sure is to test your own samples.

And it's not just a 300 RPM drop, but changing your shift points during a race can keep heat from building. The ECM constantly monitors water temps and exceeding 260 degrees F on a consistent basis will trigger limp mode to prevent engine damage. Not crazy at all- constantly scanning the gauges at least once a lap is SOP.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

260 is still not over heating!? Sorry for all the questions I'm new here and just got my HR. What is the UOA? I'm doing my oil change soon and went with Castrol Edge full synthetic 5-30. Not I'm curious if I should have used European 5-40
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Do a little search and you'll find this landmark thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-info.html

Read the first few pages to get most of the author's thoughts and explanation. There's a followup thread on UOAs (used oil analysis) for HRs as well. Search.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Back to the refresh- there's a non-functional cool suit to figure out, rubber weatherstripping above the DS door to replace, an ABS code to figure out and the standard maintenance to go through. Already entered the last SCCA Rocky Mountain Division race at High Plains Raceway in a few weeks. More pics coming when I get the chance.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Pulling the Z out of the trailer illustrates what a 275/30-18 R-compound race tire looks like using RPF-1 rims. It also shows a bright, shiny new bumper cover and a LR turn signal module in good shape. The Z now uses a Magnaflow (steel) race muffler, but the titanium muffler I used for the first five years eventually broke (welds fractured) and most of it fell off in a race. The heat coming off the open pipe was HOT enough to not only soften and melt part of the rear bumper, it melted the bottom of the LR turn signal and deformed it to the point it just rattled around back there! Part of this race refresh was to address that issue and get it back to looking GOOD.

This is a photo of one of the multiple lead bricks I took out of the Z at the last race. That single brick weighs 35# and was placed in the passenger side footwell per SCCA rules to make the 3,400# minimum weight. It actually felt good to pull all that weight out of the Z and let it run free, but NO HOW, NO WAY will I ever get it close to the 2,450# minimum weight the car is classed with in T1.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:27 AM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

dkmura, you don't happen to have a thread detailing your car and what all you've done to it in your journey to make it a full on race car do?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Back when we produced Nissan Sport magazine, this car was the basis of a series of articles about building and developing a SCCA T2 racecar. It started with issue #8 in the spring of 2008 and continued until the end of that publication in 2012.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Back when we produced Nissan Sport magazine, this car was the basis of a series of articles about building and developing a SCCA T2 racecar. It started with issue #8 in the spring of 2008 and continued until the end of that publication in 2012.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find it on the WWW.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

After I pulled all the lead and steel ballast out of the racecar (as well as the cooler for my cool suit), I found a few areas that needed some attention. As you can see, the interior of this Z33 is stripped and the rollcage mounts boxed into the frame rails and MIG-welded. But that doesn't stop rust and some surface scaling appeared in this case.

After a thorough cleaning, I applied a rust converter to all the rusty sections and allowed it to work overnight. One more cleaning and a coat of primer and later, a coat of rustoleum flat black would finish the job. But guess what? I forgot to take the "after" pic, so that will have to wait for the next time I get it out of the trailer.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Here is a photo of that same area after being converted, painted and all the equipment put back. No more rust on that bulkhead and cool suit tank and almost 90 pounds of lead and steel put back into the Z for a Rocky Mountain Division SCCA race this weekend:

Certainly not the flashiest of photos of a racecar, but it's at least orderly, functional and (hopefully) legal under SCCA rules to clinch a championship or two this weekend. Wish me luck!

Last edited by dkmura; 08-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Here is a photo of that same area after being converted, painted and all the equipment put back. No more rust on that bulkhead and cool suit tank and almost 90 pounds of lead and steel put back into the Z for a Rocky Mountain Division SCCA race this weekend:

Certainly not the flashiest of photos of a racecar, but it's at least orderly, functional and (hopefully) legal under SCCA rules to clinch a championship or two this weekend. Wish me luck!
GOOD LUCK, DAVID!!

Guessing you're back running T3 with all that ballast, yes?

Rooting!!
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, Mic! Yes, I need one more race finish to take the T3 championship in Rocky Mountain Division this year. So my first race will see me with a FULL ballast and fuel to make it to the scales weighing a portly 3,450 pounds! After that, I get to pull all that extra weight and race with a Boss 302 in T1. SCCA rules say the 350Z (with an HR engine) can weigh an equally ridiculous 2,450 to compete in T1. Hey, it's only a measly THOUSAND frickin' pounds, right?

And for those wondering why I'm going to all this trouble, I want to beat the T1 class leader and his Corvette for the T1 points championship. The Mustang will probably walk me (and everybody else) this weekend, but he's not a contender for the championship. It would be sweet to top all the other big bucks entries in that series for once.

Last edited by dkmura; 08-20-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, Mic! Yes, I need one more race finish to take the T3 championship in Rocky Mountain Division this year. So my first race will see me with a FULL ballast and fuel to make it to the scales weighing a portly 3,450 pounds! After that, I get to pull all that extra weight and race with a Boss 302 in T1. SCCA rules say the 350Z (with an HR engine) can weigh an equally ridiculous 2,450 to compete in T1. Hey, it's only a measly THOUSAND frickin' pounds, right?

And for those wondering why I'm going to all this trouble, I want to beat the T1 class leader and his Corvette for the T1 points championship. The Mustang will probably walk me (and everybody else) this weekend, but he's not a contender for the championship. It would be sweet to top all the other big bucks entries in that series for once.
And here I am again back to wondering what a FACTORY Nissan Z racer that you can buy off the showroom floor (a la Corvette CX-R, Ford Mustang GT350-R, COPO Camaro, etc) would be like.

Y'know.... A homologated "370ZR-L (L for light weight, like the old BMW nomenclature) with 15-20% more power, 20% less weight Nismo Z with sponsorship from Nissan, Yokohama, etc. would have me signing up in a minute!!

Hmmmm, wait, almost sounds like the race prepped 370Zs in the IMSA Continental series..... Different tires than what I said. Hahahahaha.... I like Contis too. Wink wink, are you listening Mother Nissan??

Ahhhh, but I fantasize when I'm supposed to be working on a report...
Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And here I am again back to wondering what a FACTORY Nissan Z racer that you can buy off the showroom floor (a la Corvette CX-R, Ford Mustang GT350-R, COPO Camaro, etc) would be like.

Y'know.... A homologated "370ZR-L (L for light weight, like the old BMW nomenclature) with 15-20% more power, 20% less weight Nismo Z with sponsorship from Nissan, Yokohama, etc. would have me signing up in a minute!!

Hmmmm, wait, almost sounds like the race prepped 370Zs in the IMSA Continental series..... Different tires than what I said. Hahahahaha.... I like Contis too. Wink wink, are you listening Mother Nissan??

Ahhhh, but I fantasize when I'm supposed to be working on a report...
Ah yes, fanaticizing about factory race cars. You might as well consider the R35 NISMO GT3 for about $250,000.00 (shipping not included). A brace of these compete in the SCCA World Challenge series and are probably more cost effective than the IMSA Z34s. But that's why I enjoy building, prepping, developing and yes, refreshing my T1/2/3 Z33 racecar. I didn't blow the budget or take a second mortgage out, and I still get to experience the highs and lows of racing one step below the pro ranks.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Monday Morning Race Report

The "HYper Hot Air-Cooled Sprints" (title of race) is over and what a weekend it was! My goals were realized with points paying finishes and championships in both T1 and T3. On Saturday, I raced with a friend who started his career about the same time as I did. His turbo Audi A4 was classed in STU and we had different strong points around the 2.0-mile west circuit at High Plains Raceway. We raced for the overall lead on Saturday and his AWD grip and turbo power got him off the slower turns just a bit better that my Z. We almost touched on several occasions, but that refreshed paint stayed perfect!

Sunday the other T1 car showed up and it turned out the be a FR500 Boss 302S. I hadn't realized that particular car was classed for not only World Challenge GTS, but also T1! This FACTORY BUILT (emphasis here for Mic) racecar was finished in classic school bus yellow (same as the Trans Am winning 'stangs of the Parnelli Jones back in the 70's) and was impressive in almost every detail. My buddy in the Audi recognized we were all running similar lap times (although I suspected the Mustang driver was holding back) and told both of us, he'd back out to let us race if either of us got ahead. Thanks, Bob- that's a thoughtful move to discuss among racers.

At the start of the feature race, the Audi held the lead with the Mustang right on his tail. I was another three car lengths back in third and we were all pressing hard. Down the backstraight, my VQ was definitely losing ground to the V8 and turbo 6 ahead of me, but the Z was better balanced under braking and I could close, but not pass. Several laps in, the Mustang passed Bob on the straight and I tried to squeeze a bit closer. Bob was true to his word two laps later, and let me by on the short chute between T5 and T6.

Amazingly enough, I found myself closing the gap to the Mustang as he continued to brake on corner entry in a few turns I did not. The well-used BFGoodrich R1S on the Z were up to temp and very predictable. I began pressuring the Mustang as we hit the tight complex, but knew he'd walk me down the following straight as we started the next lap. We're now past the mid-point of the race, and I knew the only thing to do was to continue driving consistently lap-after-lap to keep the pressure on. Finally, he made a mistake! He missed an upshift (probably 3-4, if it's anything like the Z) partway down the backstraight. Here was my golden opportunity!

I pulled out of the draft and...nothing. My VQ35HR was pulling as hard as it could, but the Mustang driver found a gear and held his marginal lead. that 5.0-liter Ford coughed a bit, but began pulling away the second half of the straight. But the move seemed to unsettle him and was determined to test him even more. Coming off the straight, I went for my usual braking point and filled his mirrors for an instant. The transition from 120+ MPH to the 90 needed to make the following right handed T4 is always tricky, but setting up for the following downhill left hander even more critical. As he moved right to set up for the normal line through T5, I quickly slipped to the inside and out-braked him going downhill. The pass was decisive and clean, and the lead was mine for the first time.

Although we were in the latter stages of the "feature" race, I had no idea how many laps were remaining. Driving steady laps was a bit easier with only lapped traffic to deal with. My tires were beginning to go away at this point and oversteer slowed me in several sections as I had to be careful with squeezing the power on. The Mustang closed up on the straights, but there was little to do. Finally, the white flag came out as the Z flashed past the starter's stand and I knew I had a chance. Built a small lead coming through the tight T1-3 section and shifted cleanly through the backstraight. The Mustang pulled out of my draft and looked to the inside, but wasn't close enough for a clean pass at T4. The Z was better through T5 and gained a bit to the tight hairpin at T6. But he was right on me again as we hit T7 and climbed the hill to T8. Again, better braking balance and efficiency made sure he couldn't get inside as we made the turn for the downhill "Prairie Corkscrew" (not nearly like the famed corkscrew at Laguna). The Mustang driver made a last ditch attempt to put his 440-hp to good use as we drag raced to the line, but onlookers told me afterwards I held at least a half car lead at the line (0.241 margin on the results).

Amazing- this past weekend of racing the Z exceeded my expectations by a long shot. After packing up the trailer and driving home in the Titan, I thought: life doesn't get much better than this!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The "HYper Hot Air-Cooled Sprints" (title of race) is over and what a weekend it was! My goals were realized with points paying finishes and championships in both T1 and T3. On Saturday, I raced with a friend who started his career about the same time as I did. His turbo Audi A4 was classed in STU and we had different strong points around the 2.0-mile west circuit at High Plains Raceway. We raced for the overall lead on Saturday and his AWD grip and turbo power got him off the slower turns just a bit better that my Z. We almost touched on several occasions, but that refreshed paint stayed perfect!

Sunday the other T1 car showed up and it turned out the be a FR500 Boss 302S. I hadn't realized that particular car was classed for not only World Challenge GTS, but also T1! This FACTORY BUILT (emphasis here for Mic) racecar was finished in classic school bus yellow (same as the Trans Am winning 'stangs of the Parnelli Jones back in the 70's) and was impressive in almost every detail. My buddy in the Audi recognized we were all running similar lap times (although I suspected the Mustang driver was holding back) and told both of us, he'd back out to let us race if either of us got ahead. Thanks, Bob- that's a thoughtful move to discuss among racers.

At the start of the feature race, the Audi held the lead with the Mustang right on his tail. I was another three car lengths back in third and we were all pressing hard. Down the backstraight, my VQ was definitely losing ground to the V8 and turbo 6 ahead of me, but the Z was better balanced under braking and I could close, but not pass. Several laps in, the Mustang passed Bob on the straight and I tried to squeeze a bit closer. Bob was true to his word two laps later, and let me by on the short chute between T5 and T6.

Amazingly enough, I found myself closing the gap to the Mustang as he continued to brake on corner entry in a few turns I did not. The well-used BFGoodrich R1S on the Z were up to temp and very predictable. I began pressuring the Mustang as we hit the tight complex, but knew he'd walk me down the following straight as we started the next lap. We're now past the mid-point of the race, and I knew the only thing to do was to continue driving consistently lap-after-lap to keep the pressure on. Finally, he made a mistake! He missed an upshift (probably 3-4, if it's anything like the Z) partway down the backstraight. Here was my golden opportunity!

I pulled out of the draft and...nothing. My VQ35HR was pulling as hard as it could, but the Mustang driver found a gear and held his marginal lead. that 5.0-liter Ford coughed a bit, but began pulling away the second half of the straight. But the move seemed to unsettle him and was determined to test him even more. Coming off the straight, I went for my usual braking point and filled his mirrors for an instant. The transition from 120+ MPH to the 90 needed to make the following right handed T4 is always tricky, but setting up for the following downhill left hander even more critical. As he moved right to set up for the normal line through T5, I quickly slipped to the inside and out-braked him going downhill. The pass was decisive and clean, and the lead was mine for the first time.

Although we were in the latter stages of the "feature" race, I had no idea how many laps were remaining. Driving steady laps was a bit easier with only lapped traffic to deal with. My tires were beginning to go away at this point and oversteer slowed me in several sections as I had to be careful with squeezing the power on. The Mustang closed up on the straights, but there was little to do. Finally, the white flag came out as the Z flashed past the starter's stand and I knew I had a chance. Built a small lead coming through the tight T1-3 section and shifted cleanly through the backstraight. The Mustang pulled out of my draft and looked to the inside, but wasn't close enough for a clean pass at T4. The Z was better through T5 and gained a bit to the tight hairpin at T6. But he was right on me again as we hit T7 and climbed the hill to T8. Again, better braking balance and efficiency made sure he couldn't get inside as we made the turn for the downhill "Prairie Corkscrew" (not nearly like the famed corkscrew at Laguna). The Mustang driver made a last ditch attempt to put his 440-hp to good use as we drag raced to the line, but onlookers told me afterwards I held at least a half car lead at the line (0.241 margin on the results).

Amazing- this past weekend of racing the Z exceeded my expectations by a long shot. After packing up the trailer and driving home in the Titan, I thought: life doesn't get much better than this!
DAYAM, DAVID, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Was just about to PM you for results!!! That is just freakin' AWESOME!!!! Handling over horsepower!! My motto, anyways. But besides all that, DRIVING TALENT gets 'er done!!!

That is just the best Monday morning news!!

You get an invitation to Daytona yet??

MicAwestruck

Quick Reply: 350Z Race Refresh