2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z Race Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 AM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

THIS. THREAD. DELIVERS. Great writing and content!
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (09-03-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
If I don't go racing anywhere else and put the Konis back on, they're yours! Get that bank account warmed up and ready!
I've warned the boss.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

What this thread needs is a video from the last race. Here's a link to a good production (even has a music background) that shows off the High Plains Raceway weekend. Mostly focuses on PDX and time trials, but there's a few shots of my Z and other racecars as well:

MicVelo (09-03-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
JBJ

Great video. I really like that car at the 2:40 mark for some reason.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JBJ
Yes- viewing your own Z at speed is always interesting.

BTW- you and I were the only Nissans on track that weekend. Kinda sad when you think of all the great competition cars the marque has produced over the years.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by JBJ

BTW- you and I were the only Nissans on track that weekend. Kinda sad when you think of all the great competition cars the marque has produced over the years.
And for some other reason I'm detecting a note of marque snobbery, er, bias....

Very cool, gentlemen. (And I use the term loosely.)

Seriously, most excellent!!

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 09-03-2015 at 06:34 AM.
JBJ (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

One more video of High Plains Raceway from the cockpit of a beautiful Lotus S7 FP entry. I think this one is from this past spring, as I remember finishing second to the yellow 911 turbo that rapidly disappears at the start:

Last edited by dkmura; 09-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:20 AM
JBJ

Totally agree. It's sad to see these Z's with all this money poured into them just to race up and down main streat. The SCCA PDX program is stupid cheap. Why more people don't get involved and get out there on the track is beyond me. Although, I suppose the costs of tires can be a bit much. Especially how you can burn through a set rather quickly.

Last edited by JBJ; 09-07-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JBJ
Totally agree. It's sad to see these Z's with all this money poured into them just to race up and down main streat. The SCCA PDX program is stupid cheap. Why more people don't get involved and get out there on the track is beyond me. Although, I suppose the costs of tires can be a bit much. Especially how you can burn through a set rather quickly.
Look at it another way: what if we were all driving on the highway and suddenly an accident occurred that called for quick reaction and the ability to control your car at the limit. Would you rather have a heavily modded Z with an inexperienced driver at the wheel, or a less modded car with a more experienced driver who at least understands what driving at the limit is like? The cost of avoiding even a single accident makes the cost of a set of tires pale in comparison.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM
difranchise

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is a new set of slicks required each race??
Old 09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by difranchise
Not at all. JBJ went through the outside edges of his pricey Michelin street tires after attending several HPDEs and one PDX. His Z is mostly stock, although he is in the process of adding UCAs and beefing up his suspension. SCCA rules require my racecar to use DOT-rated tires and one set of BFGoodrich R1-S tires will last four weekends of hardcore racing if rotated properly.

Of course, there are plenty of well-heeled racers who have multiple sets of new tires each race to use. The old adage of "How fast do you want to go, how much do you want to spend?" still applies in racing.
difranchise (09-10-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Spent some time this weekend troubleshooting my cool suit system. The lines look OK and the quick disconnects detach cleanly. Checked the operation of the bilge pump itself and found it needed to be primed more aggressively before it started pumping much.

So now that the weather is turning cooler, I don't need it much! That's racing for you...
Old 09-15-2015, 06:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wrote an article for Redline Magazine about the last race. It uses some of the content from this thread, but includes additional details and pics from Brian (JBJ). Here's a link if anyone is interested in taking a break from the maintenance and repair threads:

http://www.coloradoscca.org/redline/...ptember&page=3

Personally, I'd like to see more posts on having serious fun with the Z!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wrote an article for Redline Magazine about the last race. It uses some of the content from this thread, but includes additional details and pics from Brian (JBJ). Here's a link if anyone is interested in taking a break from the maintenance and repair threads:

Most excellent, David!! Wins for Nissan have become rather few and far between - given rules changes and the like - and to get first hand accounting from a behind-the-wheel perspective is ALWAYS welcome reading!!

Congrats again on the win!!!

But I have a question.... "Queen Ann Hickey"????? C'mon........!!!!

Mic
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wow Mic, you really read that article! The reference to our region's chief registrar as the "queen" was meant to be humorous, but we all know that the first person you usually encounter at a SCCA race is the registrar. Ann Hickey had an unusual request from me: one entry into T3 on Saturday morning's race and three T1 entries for Saturday's afternoon and Sunday's two races. I needed all of them to win dual Rocky Mountain Divisional titles and she cooperated wonderfully.

Come to think of it, I've been racing for long enough that I've seen several generations of officials come and go. From being considered the young rookie to the grizzled veteran, I've always had a good rapport with race officials. While they have a job to do, they are truly race fans at heart and I like to give credit to them when I can. This type of racing is still very pure at the heart of it all.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM
JBJ

Originally Posted by difranchise
I got seven track days out of the Michelins Pilot Super Sports. As I'm learning, the Z is in desperate need of negative camber. Not only are the Michelins directional, they are also side specific. So you can't take them off the rim and put them on the other side. At least without losing some traction (especially in the rain).

I put on the Kinetix adjustable upper arms and took it to the tire shop yesterday. I'm pretty disappointed with the amount (or lack of) camber they could get. I got a total of 1.1 degrees of negative camber. To be honest I'm not even sure if that is any more than the stock set up.

Another thing is that with the offset wheels, you are limited to rotating them. I plan on getting a matching set when money allows. I'm sure that better sway bars will help as well. I'm really looking forward to how the RS-3 fronts do this weekend at the NASA event.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 PM
JBJ

Thanks for the credits David. I really appreciate it.

Even if you did spell my last name wrong.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ah crap- sorry about that Brian! I'll issue a correction next issue if you'd like. Those pics were great and I appreciate your letting me use them.

Have fun at the NASA HPDE this weekend and give us a report!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:10 PM
JBJ

Ah crap- sorry about that Brian! I'll issue a correction next issue if you'd like. Those pics were great and I appreciate your letting me use them.

Have fun at the NASA HPDE this weekend and give us a report!
Nope. Just busting your chops. I couldn't care less. Just glad I could contribute.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wow Mic, you really read that article! The reference to our region's chief registrar as the "queen" was meant to be humorous, but we all know that the first person you usually encounter at a SCCA race is the registrar. Ann Hickey had an unusual request from me: one entry into T3 on Saturday morning's race and three T1 entries for Saturday's afternoon and Sunday's two races. I needed all of them to win dual Rocky Mountain Divisional titles and she cooperated wonderfully.

Come to think of it, I've been racing for long enough that I've seen several generations of officials come and go. From being considered the young rookie to the grizzled veteran, I've always had a good rapport with race officials. While they have a job to do, they are truly race fans at heart and I like to give credit to them when I can. This type of racing is still very pure at the heart of it all.
Of course I read it! It's so much better than reading some of the "out there" stuff on the forum, hands down!

But yes, the people really are the backbone of racing. So many that volunteer their time and efforts to make it all worthwhile for the racers AND spectators/crews alike. I love the cars with "Thanks, corner workers!" on them!

Oh sure, there's a scrutineer that is waiting to make someone's good day on the track a nightmare but it's all part of the game!!

Quick Reply: 350Z Race Refresh