2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need advice on next mods for vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 AM
MasterPCrace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on next mods for vert

I have a 2006 350z roadster.
It has 84k on the clock, my question is it to late for FI?
I have nismo exhuast and intake. It has eibach sportline springs on it and
varrstoen es2's. 19x10.5 +12 and 18x9.5 +22 wrapped with falken azenis fk 453's

I want
kinetix plenum and hfc
y pipe
4.08 fd gears.

But I really want power. So is a vortec out of question
Without rebuilding the engine or a newer one to drop in.

I will be tracking a few times a season and keeping it reliable for the warm months in Ohio. Winter comes and it hides in the garage under the cover.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

no need to post the same thing in 2 different sections of the forum
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM
MasterPCrace

Woops I"m new I tried to delete the other because it got no response.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

You really need to build the shortblock if you want reliable FI power. My suggestion is to add a set of swaybars to your ZR and be amazed at how it tightens the handling. Way more cost effective and accessible mod for your consideration. I use the NISMO S-tune bars on my street Z, but there are many choices out there.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:49 AM
travlee
Master

no worries. check out Duesexmaxima (something like that, i cant remember) he did a pretty cool nismo roadster build
Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 AM
MasterPCrace

Is the enigine to high mileage? Thats my concern. I want to geta a vortech and run the stock 7.5 to 8.5 psi. Do i need to build the engine up for that? From what ive read everyone puts it on a block with like less than 30k. I wpuld go turbo but that seems to be everyones go to and i want a unique build. I dont seee many roadsters with a lot of power or that are sitting right.
Also i have hotchkins sway bars in my amazon cart. I havent pulled the trigger yet because i want to do a before and after on the track with stock and new ones.

Last edited by MasterPCrace; 08-28-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

If you have FI and Vortech questions, these may help:

FI: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Vortech ?s: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...questions.html

If you're concerned whether you engine is healthy enough to boost, you'll need to run the appropriate tests first.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM
MasterPCrace

What would those tests be? It seems to be safe from what i read in that write up. I didnt see any tests though.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM
travlee
Master

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...rger-350z.html
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM
MasterPCrace

Thats a good price I'll look into that. Im also not looking to spend 10 grand. So thats helpful.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterPCrace
What would those tests be? It seems to be safe from what i read in that write up. I didnt see any tests though.
I would do a compression test first to determine the condition of the valves and piston rings. Depending on the results, maybe a leak down test.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats a good price I'll look into that. Im also not looking to spend 10 grand. So thats helpful.
Sell your stock car and buy my built and boosted vert. Lol. Im open to selling it now before i run into legal problems as its worth more with 0 miles on it than when i beat on the car. Only a matter of time before it gets impounded anyway
Old 08-28-2015, 03:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
You really need to build the shortblock if you want reliable FI power. My suggestion is to add a set of swaybars to your ZR and be amazed at how it tightens the handling. Way more cost effective and accessible mod for your consideration. I use the NISMO S-tune bars on my street Z, but there are many choices out there.
^^^This.

Do the necessary supporting mods FIRST. Full suspension, tires/optionally wheels, BRAKES, cooling, tune - and figure on several re-tune dial-ins after FI -then proceed to Mo'Power mode.

Is the enigine to high mileage? Thats my concern. I want to geta a vortech and run the stock 7.5 to 8.5 psi. Do i need to build the engine up for that? From what ive read everyone puts it on a block with like less than 30k. I wpuld go turbo but that seems to be everyones go to and i want a unique build. I dont seee many roadsters with a lot of power or that are sitting right.
Also i have hotchkins sway bars in my amazon cart. I havent pulled the trigger yet because i want to do a before and after on the track with stock and new ones.
You didn't mention shocks.... nor alignment.... nor differential bushings... nor.... well, you get the picture.

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I would do a compression test first to determine the condition of the valves and piston rings. Depending on the results, maybe a leak down test.
Every engine is different. As Heel points out, testing the engine to determine it's ability to handle FI is critical to ANY build. In addition to the tests he mentioned (and yes, leak down test is critical!), you need to consider things like cooling system efficiency when you're adding that much heat to the engine. Valvetrain, bearing wear, basically anything that seals, lubes, or cools the engine.

It boils down to "Yeah, probably should do a motor refresh."

Anybody can slap a snail on a VQ.... but doing it right, well, figure on it costing you WELL over $10k to, again, DO IT RIGHT.

By the way, you say you want "unique".... the Vortech route isn't that unique. There are lots of Vortech blown Zs running around out there.

And to the rest of you guys: Aren't y'all proud of me??

I did NOT mention "driving school" once!!

Cheers,
Mic
Old 08-28-2015, 04:01 PM
travlee
Master

technically you did mic..... just saying
Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM
MasterPCrace

Yeah i would do it right. that's why im here to see which comes first. Also im going to do track driving before fi. Keeping the car in good shape is number one. I feel my driving is good but practice before a SC kit will make it safer.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:23 PM
MasterPCrace

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Sell your stock car and buy my built and boosted vert. Lol. Im open to selling it now before i run into legal problems as its worth more with 0 miles on it than when i beat on the car. Only a matter of time before it gets impounded anyway
Can i see it? And how much? I got mine for a steal.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Resmarted

I'd say either buy a built car (*ahem*) or just put a vortech on it. You can spend thousands and thousands "doing it right" and still have a failure. If your motor lets go, just buy another stock vq35 long block. They aren't that expensive and it will be a hell of a lot easier than refreshing and rebuilding before a catastrophe.

Don't expect huge power, but with a good tune and 400whp or less you should be absolutely fine with a vortech. Pump, injectors, osiris, tune exhaust vortech you'll be fine. Flush the coolant system, change to a one step colder spark plug, run a higher water % in your radiator, or even water+water wetter only (just make sure to flush more frequently). Change your oil frequently, and run diagnostic tests on your oil to see the condition of your engine.

High mileage isn't good for boost, but the vortech kit really isn't that hard on the engine compared to turbo.

As for being unique, forget about it. Custom/unique just means more down time, more work, and more money. Trust me.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Resmarted

Can i see it? And how much? I got mine for a steal.
I have a build thread in my signature.

Only real changes are a tomei TI muffler, vortech TI trim kit, twin 044 bosch pumps, and injector dynamics 1000cc's. No turbo, sold it, because it was headache upon headache. Car isn't running (mechanically everything's functional, just have a few loose ends). If you're interested shoot me a pm and we can discuss things in specific. Have a few other goodies that I can include with the car. I'm having problems registering it in california so
Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Tire rack had a good deal on the sway bars dont know if they still have them or not but it was cheaper then amazon.. Might wanna check them out.

If you change your gears and add 100hp your tire shop is going to love you.

Wish I could justify sinking 10k into my z.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
MasterPCrace

Yeah me too i might just try to stay na. Its a lot of work and money. I just want to beat out my girl at the track. She is buying a big turbo vw mk4 gti. So its faster and cant have that. Also in a straight line i want to make sure i can get it.

Quick Reply: Need advice on next mods for vert