2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Culture in the US versus JDM

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I'm finding the responses to this rather interesting (none were anticipated when I first shared my thoughts on the original post).

Let me clarify something, I'm not trying to change "internet behavior" - any attempt to do so would be akin to my standing at the beach trying to do my best Moses and turn away the tides.

Just sayin' that I believe the web has turned the world into a less friendly place due to the anonymity of it all and that I still subscribe to the philosophy of "If I ain't got nuttin' good to say, don't say it." Oh yeah, many many times I'll start a response to something that I think is pretty lame but then I stop and say, "Mic, you gots lots more things to do than start a flame war." No point.

If something comes up here on this forum that makes no sense or as T'bo put it, "isn't safe", I'll point it out with an explanation without judgement and move on. That's it. Nothing more needs to be said.

Yes, sometimes that takes two or a hundred pages of text.

That's all I was getting at... not butt hurt in the least. I'll just do my part of keeping my little corner of the web clean and live with the rest.

Mic

PS Kindly remove yourself from my lawn. Or what's left of it here in Waterless, CA.
The following users liked this post:
RWDBajan (11-08-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Mic you are much more patient than I. Ill admit it, i have a problem. But thats my flaw i have to work on. It amazes me how some can keep calm with all the stupidity that goes on in this scene.

I try my best to inform people about how theyre putting their life at risk with their unsafe mods, but after having to say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, patience wears thin. Im surprise you can keep recomending driving school without getting annoyed.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Bad taste is bad taste.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I'm finding the responses to this rather interesting (none were anticipated when I first shared my thoughts on the original post).

Let me clarify something, I'm not trying to change "internet behavior" - any attempt to do so would be akin to my standing at the beach trying to do my best Moses and turn away the tides.

Just sayin' that I believe the web has turned the world into a less friendly place due to the anonymity of it all and that I still subscribe to the philosophy of "If I ain't got nuttin' good to say, don't say it." Oh yeah, many many times I'll start a response to something that I think is pretty lame but then I stop and say, "Mic, you gots lots more things to do than start a flame war." No point.

If something comes up here on this forum that makes no sense or as T'bo put it, "isn't safe", I'll point it out with an explanation without judgement and move on. That's it. Nothing more needs to be said.

Yes, sometimes that takes two or a hundred pages of text.

That's all I was getting at... not butt hurt in the least. I'll just do my part of keeping my little corner of the web clean and live with the rest.

Mic

PS Kindly remove yourself from my lawn. Or what's left of it here in Waterless, CA.
Made me laugh (again)! Your description of refraining from saying negative things is the equivalent of biting one's tongue on-line. If that were the case, mine might be completely gone by now!

I agree with trying to tidy up my own corner of this board, but it's difficult not to offer some advice to those people who are about to stick their hand into a deep mudhole.

Regarding your lawn, Mic. Could you build a few more jumps so I can take my Juke-R for some rallycross practice? I know you don't mind...
Old 09-29-2015, 03:28 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Mic you are much more patient than I. Ill admit it, i have a problem. But thats my flaw i have to work on. It amazes me how some can keep calm with all the stupidity that goes on in this scene.

I try my best to inform people about how theyre putting their life at risk with their unsafe mods, but after having to say the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, patience wears thin. Im surprise you can keep recomending driving school without getting annoyed.
T'bo, in the grand scheme of things we call life, how much does "this scene" really mean? I love and sometimes live for my cars but truly, there's so much more to life than to worry about what I'm going to do next to my car, LET ALONE what someone else does to THEIR cars.

S'far as my recommending driving school, well, that's just MY thing and it's something that I think others can benefit from as I have for 37 years. As I always say, it's the ONE effective mod that carries with you from car to car, all your life. But if anyone wants to drop thousands into making a car do 0-60 in 3-flat and pull 1.25g sans the human ability to handle that kind of performance, well, that's their choice.

And I'm not going to lose a second of sleep over it.

But despite that, I'll keep saying it because that kind of imbalanced ratio of power:ability makes the road unsafe for them AND more importantly, for the rest of us who have to share the roads.

NO, it's NOT my job to tell people how to do things. But, the upside is if ONE person takes my "advice" and benefits from it for a lifetime of safe fun and making it just a teeny tiny more safe, well, then hey.

Mic

bboypuertoroc: C'mon man, there's no such thing as "bad taste"! What's that thing they say about "beauty and the beholder?" Hahahahaha.... Nope, no such thing.... but boy oh boy do I shake my head wondering "Why?" a lot.

Last edited by MicVelo; 09-29-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Made me laugh (again)! Your description of refraining from saying negative things is the equivalent of biting one's tongue on-line. If that were the case, mine might be completely gone by now!

I agree with trying to tidy up my own corner of this board, but it's difficult not to offer some advice to those people who are about to stick their hand into a deep mudhole.

Regarding your lawn, Mic. Could you build a few more jumps so I can take my Juke-R for some rallycross practice? I know you don't mind...
David, read what I wrote just above. I'll never stop offering my advice - particularly in the case of someone who, as you put it, are about stick their hand into that mudhole that's a proven mistake.

And you do it without the judgmental, condescending attitude that I referred to in my original post. And that's how I like to think I handle it. I'm not patting myself on the back here - not in the least - it's just how I roll.

Funny you should mention a Juke.... told wife the other day that maybe I'll buy one of them Nismo Jukes just to be different. She looks at the one that made me say that and she just deadpans me, "Uhhhh, no, hun...." Sorry, I didn't say it.

But you're welcome to help me excavate my lawn with yours. Then if you have a fur-buh-fur Jeep or something, you can climb my rock garden - which is what I'm going to have to install if this dry keeps holding on. Psh....

But you'll notice I no longer mungkoo about being unable to wash my cars now that I have Optimum No Rinse!! (Trav..... thanks YET again.)

Mic
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Noor93y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can fool alot of ignorant people with that rolls-royce "replica"
Old 11-05-2015, 03:22 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
David, read what I wrote just above. I'll never stop offering my advice - particularly in the case of someone who, as you put it, are about stick their hand into that mudhole that's a proven mistake.

And you do it without the judgmental, condescending attitude that I referred to in my original post. And that's how I like to think I handle it. I'm not patting myself on the back here - not in the least - it's just how I roll.

Funny you should mention a Juke.... told wife the other day that maybe I'll buy one of them Nismo Jukes just to be different. She looks at the one that made me say that and she just deadpans me, "Uhhhh, no, hun...." Sorry, I didn't say it.

But you're welcome to help me excavate my lawn with yours. Then if you have a fur-buh-fur Jeep or something, you can climb my rock garden - which is what I'm going to have to install if this dry keeps holding on. Psh....

But you'll notice I no longer mungkoo about being unable to wash my cars now that I have Optimum No Rinse!! (Trav..... thanks YET again.)

Mic
You guys never mentioned that the optimum no rinse smelled so delicious... I was able to fight my temptations to give it a little tast but my pet chippy couldnt resist. He seemed fine today luckily.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I live in a ... let's call it a "culturally diverse" neighborhood in the South part of a large (by West Coast standards) city. At least once a minute, you see a Donk or a low rider drive by. Every other car is a 90s-vintage Cadillac DeVille that's been painted with the largest metallic flakes physically possible to put through a paint gun. Some of these cars have wheels on them that are worth more than 10 months' worth of mortgage payments. $25,000 wheels on $5,000 cars. Genius.

I see these cars fly by in the center turn lane at 50 mph, through red lights, clouds of marijuana smoke shooting out the barely opened windows, dodging jay-walking recent arrivals to the country Froggering their way across the street with paper bags full of canned goods from the local food bank that's a quarter mile from the nearest cross-walk.

I travel down this Donking super-highway of death every day to get to my house, which I'm told by the Assessor's Office is now worth over $650K because there's a tech boom going on and there's no houses for all the post-Apple II kids making $250K because they bothered to learn C++++.

Like it or not, this is MY car scene, so yeah, a 350z turned into a Rolls-Royce seems pretty freaking awesome to a guy like me.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:28 PM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by zakmartin
... so yeah, a 350z turned into a Rolls-Royce seems pretty freaking awesome to a guy like me.
I'm sorry.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (11-12-2015)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 PM
kazuya13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBay wing

Just bought the same wing. I am very satisfied with the way it turned out. Definetly gives the car a new look.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 AM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Bad taste is bad taste.
but who is the ultimate judge if they like chocolate ice cream while you prefer tofu ?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:35 AM
bboypuertoroc

Holy thread revival, Batman.
Originally Posted by tampa_joey
but who is the ultimate judge if they like chocolate ice cream while you prefer tofu ?
The simple truth is you can't acquire good taste as a bolt on.

I can respect and appreciate the time and workmanship that goes into a project regardless if it's my style or not. Problem comes when it's done in bad taste, cheaply done, uses counterfeit parts, and then the owner (and others) tries to shove ******** like "respek mah build", "I built it for meeeee", "it's original" or whatever other tired corny *** line they wanna use. FCK OUTTA HERE with that mess.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:51 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

I do what I want, and I don't care what ppl think of my car because opinions don't trigger me. Life is great.
It's MY passion, ppl just need to stop with the social media looking for self validation of how much shares and likes they can get on their builds and stop bitching about getting the occasional comments of disgust or disagreement with your part selection.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 05-30-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:28 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I love my riced out Z almost as much as surprise butt sex.