Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Z :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodbye Z :/

Recently I was faced with an extremely tough decision, to give up my Z..

I feel like I made a wise and smart decision, however it pains me more than any car I've ever had. Being only 21 I feel as if it has been a blessing to be apart of this community, and to say Ive had a Z before, ive loved damn near every moment of the time I've had with my Z, my only regret is that I never did take her to an autox event or even a drag strip..

With a mediocre, at best, job a girlfriend, an apartment and the bills that follow that, a long with a car payment and insurance, we were going underwater, fast!
If my job would've stayed steady these past couple months, sure I may have squeezed by, maybe not. But it made me think, we could actually have money, afford things when we need them, save for a real house, basically be able to progress through life, instead of being stuck for at least 3 more years of a car payment. So after being behind on the car payment for so long they wanted 800+$ roughly half ( a little less) than what I actually owed at the time, or they wanted the car. I came up with that money by the next day like they wanted, but instead of keeping the car I decided that we would be better off without keeping the Z right now. It truley sucks it has to come to this, but I know its what I should do.

What makes me most upset I think, is that I never truley got to say goodbye.. I found out they were coming to take it only a couple hours in advance, and I was at work..
It really kills me that I could not hold on to my Z, and this part of the Z's history, a car I've loved long before I ever owned one, thefact I ever got one was by pure lick and chance. Fact is I was never originally looking for a Z, but I stumbled across a few and found one I liked, went to check it out, didn't like it once I seen it, then this one was sitting right beside it, less miles, and newer, unmolested, ran beautifully, especially compared to the other one.. then I became apart of this community, and truley learned a crap ton of stuff not only about the z, but cars in general as well. I believe it was a blessing to have shared the love of 350z's with all of you, I hope one day I can have one again..

Last edited by SR71; 10-19-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: No selling
Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry OP that sucks.

But yeah that is good decision. Get yourself a cushion. Do not let up until you have at least 3-6 months of bills saved. After you have that cushion start spending money on bs.

Too often young people myself included are caught up right away when we become adults in buying and having "new" crap. New cars, credit cards, new apts etc. We max ourselves out until we have no spending money left and that's where stress starts. And fighting with spouse or gf.

Nothing in life is free or easy. You may be able to have a nice car for a few months or years but other important area will suffer if you're not financially secure. And that doesn't just mean a job. It means having savings in case you lose your job.

Anyways I can go on and on. You made a good step, stay motivated and practice self discipline. Do not finance another car until your credit score is 800 plus and you have 3 months of bills saved. Even better would be to not finance a car ever again.

Good Luck!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Not to kick you while youre down, but this is why i tell people, if you cant buy it 2x, you cant really afford it. If youre going to buy a 10 year olf car, pay cash.

Sorry it didnt work out in your favor. Good luck and hopefully this has taught you to plan better
Old 10-07-2015, 04:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

sucks to hear, and sucks your credit is going to get dinged pretty bad

pouring some out for a lost homie

The following 4 users liked this post by travlee:
dboyzalter (10-07-2015), PP08HR (10-07-2015), UZ_ (10-07-2015), verdict. (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:04 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Good luck... Dont wanna be like this guy

Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Glad to hear you're out from under a car loan you couldn't afford. While it's a smart decision, it's hard giving up the Z. But the exposure to a real sportscar and the things you learned from it will stay with you. That's the kind of education we all need.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

I too had to give up my Z for financial reasons. I got married, we just had a child, saving for a house, etc. Wife said I could keep it, but the responsible thing to do was to let it go and get something more affordable. I ended up selling my Z34 and buying both me and my wife new cars, which combined ended up being cheaper than my monthly payment on the Z by a few hundred. It was a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong... I miss my Z'(s) every day. My heart sinks every time I see one roll by.

You do what you have to do. Take care of yourself and your finances first. Once you are more stable and comfortable getting back in to a Z, go for it. They'll always be around. I told my wife once we buy our new house and our current vehicles are paid off, I want to start searching for a "weekend car," which will probably be a 240/260/280Z. Like you, I'll be back in one again one day, but right now is just not the time.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

OP, bad joss but a good decision.

While it hurts now, there will ALWAYS be another time, another Z - or heck, something else to come along and grab your fancy when you're financially ready.

And on that note, there's nothing to say you can't have fun with a "budget build". There's guys on here doing some really cool little "micro cars" that I'm sure carry lower insurance, and to some degree, offer a fair amount of fun for not so many Z-dollars.

Hang in there and look forward, not back - other than as motivation for moving forward.

Cheers,
Mic
Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 AM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

What a pisser! sorry to hear it.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by verdict.
I too had to give up my Z for financial reasons. I got married, we just had a child, saving for a house, etc. Wife said I could keep it, but the responsible thing to do was to let it go and get something more affordable. I ended up selling my Z34 and buying both me and my wife new cars, which combined ended up being cheaper than my monthly payment on the Z by a few hundred. It was a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong... I miss my Z'(s) every day. My heart sinks every time I see one roll by.

You do what you have to do. Take care of yourself and your finances first. Once you are more stable and comfortable getting back in to a Z, go for it. They'll always be around. I told my wife once we buy our new house and our current vehicles are paid off, I want to start searching for a "weekend car," which will probably be a 240/260/280Z. Like you, I'll be back in one again one day, but right now is just not the time.

Yeah the Z isnt the most baby friendly car around. My baby is like wtf guys when he rides in it... Plus he always turns on the hazard lights when he sits shotgun.

The following 4 users liked this post by dboyzalter:
chari (10-19-2015), UZ_ (10-07-2015), verdict. (10-07-2015), WYZIWYG (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 AM
FOOKhonda

Wow, thank you for all the support guys, it truly helps a lot. Most of you that have posted here are the people who helped me make this decision through their posts on other threads, so i really respect a lot of you for your general wisdom and a lot of your help and contributions here.

I learned here that if I cannot buy a car in cash I cannot afford one. However I would finance a car again to help my credit, but only if I'm able to pay cash for it in the first place.

Yes it was very stressful as well and one of the major factors that lead me to this decision.

Also im glad I was smart enough to not go on modding when I was already broke lol, it was hard but I steered clear.

Right now me and my gf are getting a more practical car, I went looking at some e36's as at least the still have good chassis and have some power, and rwd. But didn't find any worth a crap, first one was falling apart, literally.. eventually i stopped to look at some other bmws I seen from the road, they were all crap /auto (yes, I'm moving to a manual now that ive taught the gf to drive stick, so when I'm back it'll be in a manual) but he also had a couple jettas.. I found a great deal on an 02 5 speed with 99k miles talked him to 2500$ a good deal based on kbb, says suggested retail is 3500$. Sure it has oodles less power than the Z but its actually everything we actually need right now, practical, great on gas, at least for me there is still aftermarket support, and is extremely cheap, ie, Autotech 270 cam with spring conv kit to run that high duration, $500, to get it flashed is like 250-300$ techtonics exhaust w/borla mufflers, $600 lost goes on, sure ill never make power with it, but it'll be better than 90whp :'/

Fact is, it was a great deal, and really exactly what we need, and cheaper insurance, especially once my tickets are gone, hopefully won't get anymore in a jetta, problem is the car will still ride at high speeds, just gonna take a bit longer to get there than the Z would, so may end up getting some anyways..
If I do it was the sports cars fault, its taught me too much about driving, well, "spirited" driving
Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...pend/index.htm
This might help.

Sounds like you're stumbling through life a bit. Not flaming but it seems like you need some life knowledge... Just saying, educating yourself would do wonders for your future and monthly income.

I was always taught college with the right degree is financial safety insurance for your future. It's done wonders for me when compared to people I know without a degree. 4 years of your life makes for buying a brand new z + all the mods you want vs struggling and getting it repossessed. In college you're surrounded with people who are getting a professional degree thus guiding you in the right direction in life. You pick up all the right habits, increase your network potential, learn how to acquire that higher paying salary vs working for the hourly wage.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Solid advice, Sparco.
Gl, ****, and props for making the right choice. Sorry for the bad taste in your mouth.

I need to congratulate you for having the stones to be real and say, " I'll be back".
Good luck, man.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:45 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You mentioned that you have a girlfriend. You'll be broke forever.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Piggylover1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Lol
Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 AM
FOOKhonda

Originally Posted by davidv
Oh how right you are XD
Sad thing is we both have decent jobs, for our age, we only owe another 1000 on the new car, after that I think we will save money, we have wise parents, and we are pretty smart too, given we may be a bit foolish at times but I think we will do alright, we know what we should do I'm just hoping we stick to it.

But all is well for now. Teaching the girl to drive standard is proving to be more difficult then I thought lol. First time she drove she almost stalled taking of then chirped into 2nd... She never gives enough gas on take offs, and over revs every other gear, but she releases the clutch too fast and without getting back to gas and causes it to buck everytime. I just have to stop paying attention lol.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
chari
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh my, sorry to hear that but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully you will be back on the Z scene after taking care of biz for sure.
Me and my fiance both have Z's now. I bought mine 2 months after he bought his. We both have car payments again and a long way to go too, fun times lol.
But he taught me to drive standard in his old Saturn. He would get real frustrated with me when I couldn't drive up the hills lol.