Amped-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Wont be low now hahaha
Trueeeeeeeee, lol.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Amped-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I also was paying for accident forgiveness so hopefully that keeps it from raising it too high.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:18 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The sub frame behind that wheel is aluminum. It is strong but it does have some weak points that might crack. (expensive)

The sub frame bushings are liquid filled, and are prone to failure. (expensive)

I would not be optimistic about and insurance surplus. I recommend that you wait until everything is repaired and you are certain that it rides and handles like it should, before modding anything.

Time will tell.

Last edited by JCat; 11-12-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Is your car paid in full? If not, the insurance company will be writing a check to you and to the lien holder. That could complicate getting the car fixed with upgraded parts. If there is no lien holder, you are free to do anything you want with the money, including not getting the car fixed if that is what you want to do.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:07 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

OP, dis you!?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

what year is the car?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

No trav, that isnt dugan...
Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Is your car paid in full? If not, the insurance company will be writing a check to you and to the lien holder. That could complicate getting the car fixed with upgraded parts. If there is no lien holder, you are free to do anything you want with the money, including not getting the car fixed if that is what you want to do.

I had lien (auto loan from Wells Fargo) on mine several years ago when my front bumper got hit from the left and blew the driver's airbag. Bill was ~$7K (airbag and seatbelt stuff is $$$$) and Allstate sent me the check in the mail. Maybe it varies by state and/or company?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:21 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

every time i have had a claim, they did repair shop and me
Old 11-12-2015, 06:26 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Allstate was pretty cool with it. A few days after I had the first check they called and asked if I had missed any work because of the crash. My car was actually stationary when I was hit, but the airbag blew and tagged my right thumb pretty hard, so I took a few nights off (I'm a neurosurgery RN). They didn't even ask for any proof and sent me another check for the missed shifts.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lifekenophobic
OP, dis you!?

That's painful to watch.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 PM
350z82

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your rates should not go up just because you replace OEM parts with aftermarket ones. Now, if there is a habit of regular accidents to you car over the span of a year, then yes, it will go up as you will be classified as a higher liability.

My old car was involved in a accident, through no fault of my own, my motor was wrecked due to the the front impact, Statefarm looked it over, cut me a check, i deposited it the bank, ordered a used motor from a shop and also had a custom turbo built and installed along with the motor. After all the work was done, took it back to Statefarm where they examined the car to make sure the car run and operated within safety specs.
The claims rep was there too and looked over the engine. He asked me if the car was turboed from the factory, I told him it wasn't and that the turbo was just something extra I had done since the shop was going to be pulling the motor anyways. Claims rep laughed and let me go. My rates didn't go up 0.01.

The only thing Statefarm says to do when it comes to aftermarket parts is to hold onto ALL receipts for parts and labor done for aftermarket work.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Amped-
Yeah, definitely learned the lesson but must say it was a ton of fun. It's just money and I'm glad I physically wasn't hurt. Definitely hurt seeing damage done to the Z though.

@350z82 yeah, my insurance company is letting me take the the Z to a shop of my choice which is a drifting team shop in the area here that is pretty reputable and they told me to have them fax an invoice to them and they'll cover it. It's under $1000 I'll pay it with no claim, but if it's over $1000 then it'll be a claim and I pay the deductible and they have the rest.
You just bought yourself raised rates.

Just because you didn't have the insurance pay out anything still means you had a 4pt collision (4pts on your license in insurance terms), which is internally logged as an accident and a claim that required no payout.

Friendly suggestion...big mistake to notify your insurance company BEFORE you do your own research.

Maybe your insurance company is different, but I've seen this situation first hand play out in ways that always shocked the driver.

Last edited by savedbygrace; 11-14-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:48 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z82
Your rates should not go up just because you replace OEM parts with aftermarket ones. Now, if there is a habit of regular accidents to you car over the span of a year, then yes, it will go up as you will be classified as a higher liability.

My old car was involved in a accident, through no fault of my own, my motor was wrecked due to the the front impact, Statefarm looked it over, cut me a check, i deposited it the bank, ordered a used motor from a shop and also had a custom turbo built and installed along with the motor. After all the work was done, took it back to Statefarm where they examined the car to make sure the car run and operated within safety specs.
The claims rep was there too and looked over the engine. He asked me if the car was turboed from the factory, I told him it wasn't and that the turbo was just something extra I had done since the shop was going to be pulling the motor anyways. Claims rep laughed and let me go. My rates didn't go up 0.01.

The only thing Statefarm says to do when it comes to aftermarket parts is to hold onto ALL receipts for parts and labor done for aftermarket work.
The reason your rates didn't go up is because the accident "was no fault of your own".

If an insurance company is notified by the police that the fault is assigned to the insured (you), or if the company talks to both parties and internally determines that it was your fault (which is their perogative), then your rates will go up.

Drifting in an abandoned parking lot is a huge red flag to an insurance company...you do it once you'll likely do it again, so the risk is high that they'll have to pay for your thrill seeking...which they have no desire to do.

If they know how you wrecked your rates are almost guaranteed going up, whether you need them to reimburse you for anything or not. You could also be dropped at their discretion for being an irresponsible risk.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 11-14-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:23 PM
350z82

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
If an insurance company is notified by the police that the fault is assigned to the insured (you), or if the company talks to both parties and internally determines that it was your fault (which is their perogative), then your rates will go up.
Not always true, one or two accidents and your rates SHOULD NOT go up. It is when it becomes a pattern that is when you become a high-risk and therefore high rates.

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Drifting in an abandoned parking lot is a huge red flag to an insurance company...you do it once you'll likely do it again, so the risk is high that they'll have to pay for your thrill seeking...which they have no desire to do.

If they know how you wrecked your rates are almost guaranteed going up, whether you need them to reimburse you for anything or not. You could also be dropped at their discretion for being an irresponsible risk.

Saved
This is true, if the insurance knows your were doing something wreckless then yes, your rates MIGHT go up, not 100% but I personally wouldn't test it out by making it a habit of drifting in parking lots. If you want some good fun, then find a track and tear it up.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Dekker001

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geico cut me a check for getting sideswiped, and we are doing a ton of work on the car. My father-in-law is a body/paint guy, but even after the repairs we have tons left over to "play" with. There is no law requiring you to fix the car to OEM standards.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

1000 dollar deductible lololololololol.
I just lowered mine to 250. Cost 2 bucks more a month than 500.

If you deductible is a 10th of the cost of your car there is a problem