Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I did it now, my son wants one

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Wow just wow. I don't understand how we survived with all the rear wheel drive cars before the 1980's. Virtually all cars were rear wheel drive until the '80's and somehow, magically, we survived those cars. I drove rear wheel drive cars from the early 1960's until about the mid 1980's. Rear wheel drive is not as deadly as you make it seem.
Big difference in spinning out in a 80's Monte Carlo or Buick vs a modern day Z or any modern day RWD for that matter. Not arguing against RWD Z's at all i love them but i wouldn't want my son driving one for his first car. Much rather he have a little less powa IE: a FRS or BRZ maybe

fun fact = i learned how to drive in a 2 door 1.8 5 spd toyota corolla.
The following users liked this post:
Firebase99 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get him a 240SX

I know of one for sale in St. Louis that would make a great first car for him

Nick C.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM
corbin9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ hopefully an s14 haha
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM
onebentvalve

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Get him a 240SX

I know of one for sale in St. Louis that would make a great first car for him

Nick C.

240sx, is a great first car, at least for a few years. He will probably fall in love with it and want to put an sr20 in once he starts getting good at driving.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gc350z03
Not accurate at all, if anything it could add in the younger z enthusiasts point of view. All the older people on the forum assume all of us kids are too big of morons to drive a car just because it has around 300hp and is RWD. Maybe when these people were growing up that was the case but nowadays, especially where I live, it is commonplace for kids to get a brand new 5.0 or even a 370z as their first car, and neither myself nor any of my friends who drive even faster cars have had any incedints whatsoever.
you keep saying "without incident" yet you wreck your car hard enough for the tire to pop off the wheels.....

kinda hard to say youre a good driver when you wrecked your car....kinda hard to say kids should have fast car when you wrecked your.

as for the whole "where i live its common" thats the WORST excuse i have ever heard. if your friends jump off a bridge would you? its common for kids around my area to be hoo on crack and heroin, should i let my kids get hook on it?

you said so yourself, youre 18, had your car since 16, you crashed your car at the end of 2014, its mid 2016, that means you crash your car less than a year since owning it. thats call being part of statics. i would NOT want that for my kid...
Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

+1 IMHO it is a little too easy to get into trouble with a Z @ a young age, Don't get wrong now if my son had his own cash and said pops I'm getting one then eff it. But if I have a financial say then that's diff. I would steer him towards something larger and safer. Luckily my kid isn't even in school yet Then there are some older stats which are alarming specifically when thinking of your kid. Speaking on the topic my friend passed away in 1996 or 1997 Vette as a passenger in a high speed highway collision

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall

1. Nissan 350Z

Topping the list of deadliest cars on the road is another Nissan: the two-door 350Z from model years 2005 to 2008. IIHS recorded 143 deaths per million registrations for Nissan 350Z drivers during the study period, with 90 deaths per million registrations occurring in single-vehicle crashes.

Chevrolet and Nissan were producing the vehicles involving the highest ratio of driver deaths for a span of four years, with Hyundai and Kia making up the balance. In the course of used car shopping, check the IIHS stats to ensure the safety record of any vehicle.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Typical male, 16-20 WILL (statistically) crash at some point no matter what car they are in. Highway said there is a big difference between losing control of a 5000 pound 1989 Monte Carlo with 300HP and and 2005 3300 pound Z, and I couldnt agree more. Unless youre Michael Schumacher son Id never give my kid (dont have any thank God-lol) the keys to a 350Z as a first car.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 AM
My07350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboed350z
"No major incident"... you crashed at 16... slid 30ft AFTER you crashed.... i would consider that as MAJOR incident...
Damage to the car ending up a total of a whopping $400. Not that serious
Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by My07350z
Damage to the car ending up a total of a whopping $400. Not that serious

400 to repaint the bumper, the tie rod, new tires, and other parts? [X] doubt.

you still wreck hard enough to slide 30 ft, debead the tire from the wheel, thats consider a MAJOR incident. And now youre just another statistic. Opinion invalid.

Edit: not trying to be rude, but you try to act like its not a big deal, yet you wreck less than a year of owner ship, further proving my point that teen+sport car=bad idea.

Edit 2: i ran over a small child. Only got blood on my bumper and washed off. Not a major incident since it did 0 dollar in damage.... FLAWED logic

Last edited by turboed350z; 05-19-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Inspector71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, never expected, but much appreciate, so many responses. Yes, he needs to learn first on the Mazda. It has a very long clutch, about 100 yards long and little power compared to the Z. I learned to drive a stick on a 68 Dodge Charger 3 on a tree, moved on to a Toyota Celica 5 speed, 6 Rx7s, and so forth. He is a very responsible kid, loves cars almost as much as I do, and I plan to bring him along slowly, maybe do some driving school stuff with SCCA and see how he does. The Z is the best car for the money in the sports car class.'
I might get the 350 for "me" and, see how he progresses, and then pass it on. I'm keeping my white one no matter what. No one drives her but me. The 240sx is a good idea. I had one, an 89 in black, and loved it. Hard to find good ones right now.

Last edited by Inspector71; 05-19-2016 at 07:13 AM. Reason: another thought...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Well ill throw my opinion in the mix... If he is 13 now and thinks he wants whatever car in 3 1/2 years when he gets a drivers license chances are things might change... However if they stay the same I would say thats fine but he doesn't get the sports car till after high school, and only gets to use it for special occasions and when your in the car with him untill then... (or if he lands a hotty like turbo350zs wife and wants to take her out for some social event)

For daily driving to and from school I would say a sweet manual pick up truck, or small suv so he will have the capabilities to drive in all weather conditions, will get used to rwd handling, and can put in 4wd if he gets stuck in the snow. Plus more ladies can fit in a lets say jeep liberty or s10 blazer then a z so he can taxi the sophomore ladies home big pimpen style. Thats just my .02... I know I was a dumbass when I was 17 and drove my first car into the ground. But I also built a 72 GMC 4x4 with all my pizza delivery money, and with help from my brother that was "roadworthy" just as my first car gave up on life.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-19-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you keep saying "without incident" yet you wreck your car hard enough for the tire to pop off the wheels.....

kinda hard to say youre a good driver when you wrecked your car....kinda hard to say kids should have fast car when you wrecked your.

as for the whole "where i live its common" thats the WORST excuse i have ever heard. if your friends jump off a bridge would you? its common for kids around my area to be hoo on crack and heroin, should i let my kids get hook on it?

you said so yourself, youre 18, had your car since 16, you crashed your car at the end of 2014, its mid 2016, that means you crash your car less than a year since owning it. thats call being part of statics. i would NOT want that for my kid...
Wrong kid, I have never wrecked a car nor have I ever even hit a curb. And I was giving an example of how common it is for a kid to be driving a fast car.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM
My07350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

400 to repaint the bumper, the tie rod, new tires, and other parts? [X] doubt.

you still wreck hard enough to slide 30 ft, debead the tire from the wheel, thats consider a MAJOR incident. And now youre just another statistic. Opinion invalid.

Edit: not trying to be rude, but you try to act like its not a big deal, yet you wreck less than a year of owner ship, further proving my point that teen+sport car=bad idea.

Edit 2: i ran over a small child. Only got blood on my bumper and washed off. Not a major incident since it did 0 dollar in damage.... FLAWED logic
Fixed the tie rod and tire. Bumper was damaged so minimally that it was simply pulled back to shape. I had one incident which was the accident and that was simply because I had my license for only a matter of months. My parents never stressed the importance of being careful in a sports car. I learned the hard way which like I said, $400 is fairly minimal. The only other "incident" you could claim I had was a single ticket and I have now been driving a year and a half or so.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Texas home of the affluenza teen, cant imagine why lots of kids own sports cars, but a dumbass young driver can kill people in any motor vehicle... I'll give you props for only getting one speeding ticket it's hard driving like miss daisy is your passenger all the time, and speed limits only seem exciting when your on a 18lb road bicycle.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 AM
gc350z03

Fixed the tie rod and tire. Bumper was damaged so minimally that it was simply pulled back to shape. I had one incident which was the accident and that was simply because I had my license for only a matter of months. My parents never stressed the importance of being careful in a sports car. I learned the hard way which like I said, $400 is fairly minimal. The only other "incident" you could claim I had was a single ticket and I have now been driving a year and a half or so.
When you think about the accidents a lot of younger drivers have that is not bad at all, my brother got a mustang gt for his first car and 11 days later my dad got the call with my brother crying saying he wrecked his car, of course the he "had" to borrow my z for a few weeks while his mustang got fixed for a total of 7500 dollars. Be glad your wreck was something to learn from and no one got hurt, and op you are the only one who knows your kid so if you think he is ready get him a z, if not then let him buy his own z one day.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:04 AM
turboed350z

When you think about the accidents a lot of younger drivers have that is not bad at all, my brother got a mustang gt for his first car and 11 days later my dad got the call with my brother crying saying he wrecked his car, of course the he "had" to borrow my z for a few weeks while his mustang got fixed for a total of 7500 dollars. Be glad your wreck was something to learn from and no one got hurt, and op you are the only one who knows your kid so if you think he is ready get him a z, if not then let him buy his own z one day.

So basically your brother add on to the statistic, yet again further proving my point that teens+sport car=bad idea.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 AM
turboed350z

Slid 30 ft after you wrecjed. De bead the tires. No matter how you want to sugar coat it, its consider a MAJOR incident, considering how you had ZERO control of the car after you hit the curb, you should be grateful you didnt kill anyone.

Again, i hit a small child, car was undamage, child die. Bot a major incident since the repair bill was 0. Flawed logic....
Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM
gc350z03

So basically your brother add on to the statistic, yet again further proving my point that teens+sport car=bad idea.
I never said my brother was smart,lol. And I should have clarified in my first post, out of all the kids I hang out with that have powerful cars none have wrecked yet. Granted all of us bought our own cars so I guess we do not take as many risks.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Well ill throw my opinion in the mix... If he is 13 now and thinks he wants whatever car in 3 1/2 years when he gets a drivers license chances are things might change... However if they stay the same I would say thats fine but he doesn't get the sports car till after high school, and only gets to use it for special occasions and when your in the car with him untill then... (or if he lands a hotty like turbo350zs wife and wants to take her out for some social event)

For daily driving to and from school I would say a sweet manual pick up truck, or small suv so he will have the capabilities to drive in all weather conditions, will get used to rwd handling, and can put in 4wd if he gets stuck in the snow. Plus more ladies can fit in a lets say jeep liberty or s10 blazer then a z so he can taxi the sophomore ladies home big pimpen style. Thats just my .02... I know I was a dumbass when I was 17 and drove my first car into the ground. But I also built a 72 GMC 4x4 with all my pizza delivery money, and with help from my brother that was "roadworthy" just as my first car gave up on life.
I agree with the date night idea. Thats what my tboed z actually is for haha. I weekend the NA, so the tboed doesnt get alot of action.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM
turboed350z

I never said my brother was smart,lol. And I should have clarified in my first post, out of all the kids I hang out with that have powerful cars none have wrecked yet. Granted all of us bought our own cars so I guess we do not take as many risks.

But how many times have any of you broke the speed limit? Just because you havent wreck doesnt mean youre a good driver or can control the car...

Quick Reply: I did it now, my son wants one