Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I did it now, my son wants one

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
But how many times have any of you broke the speed limit? Just because you havent wreck doesnt mean youre a good driver or can control the car...
You would be surprised honestly, we never street race we never even really speed, we cruise like 5 over but we all mostly stick to the track when we want to go fast. I go to the dragstrip on my motorcycle 2 or 3 times a month, 20 dollars to race beats a 3500 dollar fine and a night in jail. Once again my brother learned that the gard way.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gc350z03
You would be surprised honestly, we never street race we never even really speed, we cruise like 5 over but we all mostly stick to the track when we want to go fast. I go to the dragstrip on my motorcycle 2 or 3 times a month, 20 dollars to race beats a 3500 dollar fine and a night in jail. Once again my brother learned that the gard way.
Then theres no need for a 350z as a daily, since theyre impractical
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM
gc350z03

Then theres no need for a 350z as a daily, since theyre impractical
That is why I have two motorcycles, my daily switches on the daily The z is just for the rainy days and car shows.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM
turboed350z

Im not trying to teach anyone to be a parent. Im not trying to insult anyones driving skills. Im just being honest. Teens+sport car=bad idea.

Teens are irresponsible, they dont understand consequences. They have peers to pressure them. Theyre inexperience in driving. And their ability to resist temptation isnt the best.

I know a kid, 16, daddy bought him a brand new gtr fresh off the lot. He hasnt crashed it, yet, but he DOES constantly got over 120 on public streets. Especially in the days of social media like instagram and facebook, teens have more needs/want to show off.

Trust me, i see it first hand. My cousin got a bone stock 350z at 16. Yea he bought it with his own money too. He has gone over 100mph more than i have.tboned a lady at 5mph leaving school. And has gotten 2 speeding tickets... and he holds a 4.0gpa with college schoolarship.

So yea, kids can claim to be responsible or whatever, but truth is, when temptation calls, they tend to answer. Me, as a future parent, want to eliminate the chance of that. If i deny my child of a fast car and have them hate me, but potentially saving their life, i see it worth it.

We all want the best for our kids, but sometimes, the best for our kids, arent in their best interest. Hell, go on craigslist, see how many 350/g35 are salvaged title. That should give you a clear indication of how many are irresponsible when they get behind the wheel of these sport cars.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM
gc350z03

Im not trying to teach anyone to be a parent. Im not trying to insult anyones driving skills. Im just being honest. Teens+sport car=bad idea.

Teens are irresponsible, they dont understand consequences. They have peers to pressure them. Theyre inexperience in driving. And their ability to resist temptation isnt the best.

I know a kid, 16, daddy bought him a brand new gtr fresh off the lot. He hasnt crashed it, yet, but he DOES constantly got over 120 on public streets. Especially in the days of social media like instagram and facebook, teens have more needs/want to show off.

Trust me, i see it first hand. My cousin got a bone stock 350z at 16. Yea he bought it with his own money too. He has gone over 100mph more than i have.tboned a lady at 5mph leaving school. And has gotten 2 speeding tickets... and he holds a 4.0gpa with college schoolarship.

So yea, kids can claim to be responsible or whatever, but truth is, when temptation calls, they tend to answer. Me, as a future parent, want to eliminate the chance of that. If i deny my child of a fast car and have them hate me, but potentially saving their life, i see it worth it.

We all want the best for our kids, but sometimes, the best for our kids, arent in their best interest. Hell, go on craigslist, see how many 350/g35 are salvaged title. That should give you a clear indication of how many are irresponsible when they get behind the wheel of these sport cars.
I wish my dad would have bought me a gtr at 16, but all jokes aside theres a pretty big difference between a 350z and a gtr. And I still believe it is his choice as a parent, but just because he has the power doesnt mean he will always use it on the street. My bike is faster than a gtr yet I have never even touched 80 on a public road, and yet I still seem to be an immature teen just like the rest of us.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by gc350z03
I wish my dad would have bought me a gtr at 16, but all jokes aside theres a pretty big difference between a 350z and a gtr. And I still believe it is his choice as a parent, but just because he has the power doesnt mean he will always use it on the street. My bike is faster than a gtr yet I have never even touched 80 on a public road, and yet I still seem to be an immature teen just like the rest of us.

Youre also comparing awd to rwd... a rwd car kicks out from behind and you can bet 9/10 will lose control. And awd kicks out from behind, well lets just say you have to be a pretty bad driver to bot be able to regain it.

As far as the irresponsible part, you said your car was being build... 6 months later and nothing. I assume your family had money, so i would think if the shop its at isnt capable of doing it, your dad would move to a diff shop and demand a refund. So im going to call BS on the build and that daddy pulled the plug when he found out how much it cost.

So if you WERE as responsible as you think, youd have the 350 back on the road, stock or not, and ask for advice on how to proceed with the shop. But youre just letting the csr sit there, rotting....

Again, not insulting, just simply calling it as i see it.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM
gc350z03

Youre also comparing awd to rwd... a rwd car kicks out from behind and you can bet 9/10 will lose control. And awd kicks out from behind, well lets just say you have to be a pretty bad driver to bot be able to regain it.

As far as the irresponsible part, you said your car was being build... 6 months later and nothing. I assume your family had money, so i would think if the shop its at isnt capable of doing it, your dad would move to a diff shop and demand a refund. So im going to call BS on the build and that daddy pulled the plug when he found out how much it cost.

So if you WERE as responsible as you think, youd have the 350 back on the road, stock or not, and ask for advice on how to proceed with the shop. But youre just letting the csr sit there, rotting....

Again, not insulting, just simply calling it as i see it.
My z is a seperate issue, and the shop savage street cars still has it. They finally started working on it after my parents threatened legal issues if they didnt. I have no say in what happens since I am not the one paying for the build.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Get him a 240SX

I know of one for sale in St. Louis that would make a great first car for him

Nick C.

This x 10,000,000^^^

240 chassis is an awesome platform for a first mid rance "sporty" car. If you must spoil him maybe a 300zx?

Originally Posted by corbin9
^ hopefully an s14 haha

Why? S13 are way better cars IMO.. A lot lighter, more numble, easier to mod and WAY cheaper.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

And the wisdom of age creeps in and says, "T'bo, yer old."

Pretty soon you'll be saying, "Why, back in the day...."

Like I do all the time.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:56 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And the wisdom of age creeps in and says, "T'bo, yer old."

Pretty soon you'll be saying, "Why, back in the day...."

Like I do all the time.

In every stage of life, we always think we know it all, we experienced it all, and wuse beyond our years....

Until we get older and older and look back 5-10 years ago and see how stupid we really are lol. I look back now and see how stupid i was at 16, wouldnt doubt it if i look back to today in 10 years and laugh at how stupid i am now.

Thats life haha if you go a day without learning, its a day wasted.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

In every stage of life, we always think we know it all, we experienced it all, and wuse beyond our years....

Until we get older and older and look back 5-10 years ago and see how stupid we really are lol. I look back now and see how stupid i was at 16, wouldnt doubt it if i look back to today in 10 years and laugh at how stupid i am now.

Thats life haha if you go a day without learning, its a day wasted.
Well, it's good to know that I got my quotient of stupid behind me. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

But seriously, love your last line!
Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 AM
Inspector71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad didn't allow me to use the car until I was a senior in high school. It was a 63 Chivvy Impala (4-door...yuck) 283 2 barrel. It came with the special "no-trunk" option (actually eaten out by the tons of salt they put on Maryland roads) and I couldn't even do a burn out. Hold the brakes, rev the motor, stall. My own first car was a 63 Plymouth Valiant, slant-six push button automatic. This car would burn rubber and gave a few small blocks a run for their money but, it was a 4-door and its frame rails looked why termite chewed wood. When the leaf spring shackles came up through the trunk, time to go. Later on I graduated to serious power. All fun.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:49 AM
My07350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But how many times have any of you broke the speed limit? Just because you havent wreck doesnt mean youre a good driver or can control the car...
Never gotten a speeding ticket in my life
Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector71
My dad didn't allow me to use the car until I was a senior in high school. It was a 63 Chivvy Impala (4-door...yuck) 283 2 barrel. It came with the special "no-trunk" option (actually eaten out by the tons of salt they put on Maryland roads) and I couldn't even do a burn out. Hold the brakes, rev the motor, stall. My own first car was a 63 Plymouth Valiant, slant-six push button automatic. This car would burn rubber and gave a few small blocks a run for their money but, it was a 4-door and its frame rails looked why termite chewed wood. When the leaf spring shackles came up through the trunk, time to go. Later on I graduated to serious power. All fun.

I had never heard of a plymouth valiant, I actually didnt know it was a plymouth, and that push button transmission blew my mind lol

Picture just for you of a car I towed a few weeks ago

Only missing a couple doors, can honestly say ive towed more plymouth valiants then 350z's

O yeah and if I remember correctly that bad boy had 13 inch baller wheels on it haha

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-20-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I had never heard of a plymouth valiant, I actually didnt know it was a plymouth, and that push button transmission blew my mind lol

Picture just for you of a car I towed a few weeks ago

Only missing a couple doors, can honestly say ive towed more plymouth valiants then 350z's

O yeah and if I remember correctly that bad boy had 13 inch baller wheels on it haha
Remember when 14 inch were consider "big"? Lol memories...
Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Remember when 14 inch were consider "big"? Lol memories...
Nahhhhh man, when you had 14's, you wanted to upgrade to 15s with letter tires. No, not just the raised white letters on the s'walls but sized as such.... M50-15 (on deep dish Cragar S/S chrome whills of course) on the back of your Chevy Nova!! Bishin'!!

But ya, 14's were standard on S30s. You were da shiznit if you ran 15x7s or if you wanted to achieve Superman status, goodhevvins, 16x7s... like the Porsches!! Hahahahahaha.... oh man, we've progressed.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:18 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Big difference in spinning out in a 80's Monte Carlo or Buick vs a modern day Z or any modern day RWD for that matter. Not arguing against RWD Z's at all i love them but i wouldn't want my son driving one for his first car. Much rather he have a little less powa IE: a FRS or BRZ maybe

fun fact = i learned how to drive in a 2 door 1.8 5 spd toyota corolla.
There isn't really a big difference spinning out a 1960's car and the Z. I just checked and my 1969 SS396 Chevelle weighed about 3400 pounds. That is just about the same weight as a modern 350Z. If anythiing, spinning out in a 350 HP car from the 1960's would be far more dangerous than in a modern car. It is apparently hard for all you younger guys to figure out how we survived in cars of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. We drove those rear wheel drive cars and never thought about how dangerous they would be viewed in the 21st century.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
There isn't really a big difference spinning out a 1960's car and the Z. I just checked and my 1969 SS396 Chevelle weighed about 3400 pounds. That is just about the same weight as a modern 350Z. If anythiing, spinning out in a 350 HP car from the 1960's would be far more dangerous than in a modern car. It is apparently hard for all you younger guys to figure out how we survived in cars of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. We drove those rear wheel drive cars and never thought about how dangerous they would be viewed in the 21st century.
Also lots less cars on the road back in the 60s and 70s. Families often only owned 1 vehicle. People also probably drove more cautious then today... Although changing that 8track wasnt easy it probably was less distracting then checking e-mail and reading phone garbage when driving like lots of people do these days. If I had a lovely classic car I would legitimately be paranoid about driving on the distracted streets of 2016.

Ive owned many cars with no air bags and only lap belts, they did have flowmasters though, dont those help save lives I love cars without computers.