2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Transmission or Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM
gonfidel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission or Clutch

Hi everyone,

To start off, I'm not very mechanically inclined but, have a growing interest because of my new Z. When at a dead stop it is difficult to shift into any gear sometimes. Also, when shifting my car is 'jumpy' sometimes. It is a 2004 with 90K miles. If it is the clutch, would I need to replace it with these issues or just adjust it?

Thanks for all of the help in advance..
Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by gonfidel
Hi everyone,

To start off, I'm not very mechanically inclined but, have a growing interest because of my new Z. When at a dead stop it is difficult to shift into any gear sometimes. Also, when shifting my car is 'jumpy' sometimes. It is a 2004 with 90K miles. If it is the clutch, would I need to replace it with these issues or just adjust it?

Thanks for all of the help in advance..
Without someone actually putting hands on it or at least driving it, it's difficult to offer a virtual diagnostic. However, just based on the described symptoms, most likely your clutch.

There is no "clutch adjustment" per se as it is hydraulic and "self adjusting". However, clutch pedal adjustment is possible and may fix your problem. Google "clutch pedal adjustment 350Z" and this will lead to many many pages on how to adjust the clutch pedal or bring it to someone who's familiar with Z33s to have it done. (Sorry, it seems that a lot of general clutch/transmission shops don't quite get the nuances of this and you can end up paying for a new clutch when all it needed was adjustment.)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Check to see if your clutch fluid reservoir is low on fluid.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM
corbin9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay here is a generic troubleshooting guide for you:

1. Put car in 5th gear at 20ish MPH... You should be around 1500 rpms just crawling along. Floor the gas, if the car slowly starts to pick up speed and the clutch "grabs" we can move on to step 2. If the RPM's shoot up and car doesn't move, replace clutch.

2. If clutch is good after that then start with fluids (they are the cheapest). Change and bleed clutch fluid and change your trans fluid to something nice (probably hasn't been done.. ever). If this fixes your problem them stop there.. if not, on to the next one.

3. Check your slave cyl, they fail and can cause this problem.. I believe yours is internal though, so it requires pulling the trans.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM
richimoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ echo the above suggestions.
New to Z, but in general, difficulty in selecting gear is usually between the **** and the transmission...worn cups and such...
However, even with the clutch pedal pushed in, if the clutch is not fully disengaged (in a slip condition) you will fight the gears when shifting, (shove it into gear at a stop, probably get the grinding sound, and the car starts moving)
In a different platform, i had an intermittent failure, part of the disc had separated, and was flying around in the bell housing, sometimes jamming the throwout...
Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by corbin9
Okay here is a generic troubleshooting guide for you:

1. Put car in 5th gear at 20ish MPH... You should be around 1500 rpms just crawling along. Floor the gas, if the car slowly starts to pick up speed and the clutch "grabs" we can move on to step 2. If the RPM's shoot up and car doesn't move, replace clutch.

2. If clutch is good after that then start with fluids (they are the cheapest). Change and bleed clutch fluid and change your trans fluid to something nice (probably hasn't been done.. ever). If this fixes your problem them stop there.. if not, on to the next one.

3. Check your slave cyl, they fail and can cause this problem.. I believe yours is internal though, so it requires pulling the trans.

Let us know how it goes!
Only the hr's have the internal slave