Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do to next to my Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Nick Hiatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do to next to my Z

Hows it going everybody! Today is my first post on this forum and ive got some questions on what i should upgrade in my Z. I have a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring M/T with a Borla Type S Exhaust(purchased with the car). I have some parts already picked out and am going to be paying for this weekend unless you guys interject or have better idea's.

Items I am purchasing include
~5/16" Copper Iso Thermal plenum spacer
~Stillen Hi-Flow Intake Kit
~Stillen Standard Performance Lightweight Crevank Pulley
~Stillen High Capacity Aluminum Oil Pan/No
Those together are running me about $1100

Im not sure where to go after this. Should i get headers? Stage 3 + Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel? I really dont know what to do to add power other then the heavy purchase of the Headers and when i do get those what next. If you guys have any ideas on how to add to my build i would deeply appreciate it. Im trying to push 350-400rwp and im not looking to Turbo or Supercharge my Z for a long time. Im just looking for some Strap on performance boosts. And nothing that is going to cost a grand at a time.

Also ive been looking into flashing my ECU when should i do that? Im looking into Osiris Standard its going to run me about $800 Do i need to get this, this early on? Be nice to me here haha... Is there ways to reset or reprogram my ECU without buying Osiris? Such as a complete power down through disconnecting the power to the battery? Im up in Montana so i have no ways of going to a pro shop to get a dyno tune done or to get a tune built to my knowledge.

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate you reading this forum and i look forward to your positive criticism and input.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:36 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to do some research, my friend. You will be nowhere near 350-400whp N/A. With intake work you don't "need" a tune but once you start messing with the cats you'll actually get something from one. Again, I'd do some research before buying because it sounds like you really don't know what to do or expect from what you're planning on buying.
The following 2 users liked this post by radiocrash:
jv350z (06-28-2016), travlee (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 AM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You should get a full tune immediately with those mods. I would suggest installing a complete exhaust system at the same time, though it's not as important to tune with outtake.

How many miles? If your clutch is fine and you're not racing, it's not a super important upgrade but it could help.

I would drop the 400whp NA goal before travlee comes in here. It's just not realistic.

Headers aren't too important, there are two main reasons for that:
-You have to take out the engine (well, you don't HAVE to, but you'll be there for a very, very long and ******** amount of time)
-Our stock headers are pretty good, and not restrictive.

Also I can't speak to the personal ECU, you'll have to wait for someone else to yell at you about that one I'm afraid. But there are dynos in every state I believe, it doesn't have to be a nissan shop. Just google dyno near me.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:34 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by radiocrash
You need to do some research, my friend. You will be nowhere near 350-400whp N/A. With intake work you don't "need" a tune but once you start messing with the cats you'll actually get something from one. Again, I'd do some research before buying because it sounds like you really don't know what to do or expect from what you're planning on buying.
this, and look at his sig.... his hr only hit 290, my hr with full bolt on-s only hit 286. to put thing in perspective for you, my z06 with heads, headers and a tune is only putting out 497.... and it is a 7 liter motor. if you think you are going to get anywhere over 260 whp with your de, you are going to be really disappointed
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 AM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's tough when you first get on the forums, but try to take it as good advice. I was hostile at first but to this day I thank travlee especially and the rest for helping me go racecar instead of ricecar.

Read around the forums, check the tech area high post threads and pinned threads, and DO NOT join the 350z facebook group.

Set goals for yourself for both the car and personal knowledge, and try to turn wrench yourself as opposed to letting someone do it as much as possible. Everything short of FI you can and should do yourself, especially boltons.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I wouldn't doubt you're making less than 240 right now.

Full exhaust with LTH are your best bet for additional power. That being said, you'd be lucky to break 270.

Disconnecting your battery won't do anything for you.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and let me throw out some thoughts. Your '03 Touring Z was never designed to be a muscle car, although the VQ pushes it outside the realm of four cylinder sportscars. By now, it could really use a new set of sport shocks and maybe some stiffer roll bars to sharpen the already sharp handling.

But what it really needs is a better nut behind the wheel. How about investing some of that budget on your own driving skills? Being up in Montana, there's an SCCA region near you that's holding autocross events this summer. Consider going out to one and finding out what you and your Z are capable of. They may even have a solo school designed to help you refine and build your driving skills. You'll find a lot of Z pilots have taken this low-cost approach and discovered what a Z is really capable of.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:53 AM
AffyliatedZ

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it easy on the bolt-ons. My suggestion is to put them on the bottom of your wishlist or save up to go FI. You'll realize that NA power mods aren't really worth it for the price.

Stop trying to reach an unrealistic number on the dyno and focus on suspension, brakes, lightweight wheels, etc. I guarantee that you'll be wayyy more satisfied...
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The fastest cheapest way to get 400whp is trurbo or SC. Don't be fooled by the numbers they put on the website on intakes and exhaust. But best advice I can give u is get breather mods, intake, headers, test pipes, exhaust. And then get a tune. U should gain some good amount of HP. No where near 400, but should sound a lot better and you will get some noticable gains. anything after that is going to be very expensive. Just be happy u drive a Z. If u want more NA power u need to move up to a V8.

Last edited by Golden_Armz; 06-28-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:46 AM
MyZ32TT

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
this, and look at his sig.... his hr only hit 290, my hr with full bolt on-s only hit 286. to put thing in perspective for you, my z06 with heads, headers and a tune is only putting out 497.... and it is a 7 liter motor. if you think you are going to get anywhere over 260 whp with your de, you are going to be really disappointed
Was this on a mustang or dynojet?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Nissan was on a mustang, Corvette was DynoJet
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 AM
MyZ32TT

Originally Posted by Unicus
You should get a full tune immediately with those mods. I would suggest installing a complete exhaust system at the same time, though it's not as important to tune with outtake.

How many miles? If your clutch is fine and you're not racing, it's not a super important upgrade but it could help.

I would drop the 400whp NA goal before travlee comes in here. It's just not realistic.

Headers aren't too important, there are two main reasons for that:
-You have to take out the engine (well, you don't HAVE to, but you'll be there for a very, very long and ******** amount of time)
-Our stock headers are pretty good, and not restrictive.

Also I can't speak to the personal ECU, you'll have to wait for someone else to yell at you about that one I'm afraid. But there are dynos in every state I believe, it doesn't have to be a nissan shop. Just google dyno near me.
He has a DE, his headers are pretty restrictive. Only 07-08 get the better headers.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 AM
MyZ32TT

Originally Posted by travlee
Nissan was on a mustang, Corvette was DynoJet
That's not bad, I made 291whp, 265wtq on a dynapak that reads about 10whp less compared to other dynapaks in my area. I have already bought tomei 264 cams and headers, and test pipes pending install. I'm hoping to hit maybe 310 since the last car my tuner tuned with cams did 307whp but I have better mods and will also have an ACT stage one with flywheel. I currently have Injen intakes, Nismo s tune and berk HFC's tuned on osiris.

Last edited by MyZ32TT; 06-28-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Light weight fly wheel, light wheels and sticky tires, and that about as best as youll get.

400whp NA is hard to do on a V8 let a lone a whimpy de.

You want 400whp for cheal? Get a nitrous set up and call it a day.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome and let me throw out some thoughts. Your '03 Touring Z was never designed to be a muscle car, although the VQ pushes it outside the realm of four cylinder sportscars. By now, it could really use a new set of sport shocks and maybe some stiffer roll bars to sharpen the already sharp handling.

But what it really needs is a better nut behind the wheel. How about investing some of that budget on your own driving skills? Being up in Montana, there's an SCCA region near you that's holding autocross events this summer. Consider going out to one and finding out what you and your Z are capable of. They may even have a solo school designed to help you refine and build your driving skills. You'll find a lot of Z pilots have taken this low-cost approach and discovered what a Z is really capable of.
^^^ Sooooo this!!

Driver mods.... Only mod you can take with you when you move on to your next carS.

Dave, you beat me to my own punchline. Hahahaaaaa!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Driving is like typing, if you don't have seat time, you are still hunting and pecking with your two index fingers.

A nicer keyboard won't go much faster than a simple keyboard until you learn how to type.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I only hit 282whp on the dyno after getting tuned. intake , intake manifold , headers , greddy exhaust , motordyne pipes and a tune.

if I can do it all over again I would leave the motor alone keep the 4.08 gearing and spend the rest at the track and on tires.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepiedaze
I only hit 282whp on the dyno after getting tuned. intake , intake manifold , headers , greddy exhaust , motordyne pipes and a tune.

if I can do it all over again I would leave the motor alone keep the 4.08 gearing and spend the rest at the track and on tires.
Was that in a DE?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Hiatt
Hows it going everybody! Today is my first post on this forum and ive got some questions on what i should upgrade in my Z. I have a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring M/T with a Borla Type S Exhaust(purchased with the car). I have some parts already picked out and am going to be paying for this weekend unless you guys interject or have better idea's.

Items I am purchasing include
~5/16" Copper Iso Thermal plenum spacer
~Stillen Hi-Flow Intake Kit
~Stillen Standard Performance Lightweight Crevank Pulley
~Stillen High Capacity Aluminum Oil Pan/No
Those together are running me about $1100

Im not sure where to go after this. Should i get headers? Stage 3 + Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel? I really dont know what to do to add power other then the heavy purchase of the Headers and when i do get those what next. If you guys have any ideas on how to add to my build i would deeply appreciate it. Im trying to push 350-400rwp . . . .
I just spit out my delicious cold-brewed iced coffee. Get yourself some shocks/springs/swaybars for ~the same $ and you'll get improvements you can actually feel. Then maybe some lightweight 18" wheels and good tires. Or maybe a decent sound system - i.e. something you'll enjoy. The Z is one of the worst sportscars in terms of return on investment from bolt-ons. Take your time and take it a step at a time. Learn to drive, and please don't be a Dugan.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:09 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

My '03 touring 5at dynoed at 249hp/229tq on a dynojet. Mine has the following
JWT pop charger
Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
Berk hfc's
Borla true dual exhaust
UpRev Osiris, dyno tuned at Dynosty

you can make a little more hp to the wheels with a 6mt but not that much more. Long tube headers and cams will add more hp but at that point, you're dropping a lot of coin for minimal gains. It cost me roughly $2600 to gain 30hp(219hp baseline) and I'd say a lot of that has to do with the tune.

Quick Reply: What do to next to my Z