Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Hard to get into 2nd...

Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 AM
katinkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into 2nd...

Hey guys... so I have had this 2008 350z 6spd mt. 65k miles for about a month. pretty bone stock, dual intake, axle-back exhaust. Stage 2 exedy clutch. new flywheel/pressureplate.

no grinding through any of the gears...

however. If I hit it WOT in first and try to shift to second it wont go. causing a miss shift. have to wait till RPMs come down some to around 5k then I can get it into second.

Synchros screwed? never heard of it only in high rpms. normally you can feel some sort of grind on a regular basis.

Any comments help. Thanks.

Last edited by katinkid; 08-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome- with 65K on the odo, when was the tranny fluid last changed? Also, what brand and type of lubricant was used?

If you do a search, you'll find Nissan recommends the tranny fluid be changed at 60K intervals and specifies a GL-4 lubricant with specific viscosity requirements. Both my race and street Zs use Redline MT-85, as they meet the exact specs, together with being a synthetic lubricant with enough friction engineered in to allow for proper syncro operation.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 AM
katinkid

Thanks dkmura... sorry I suppose this is my first post... even though I've been trolling since 2008 on here haha.

This is my 2nd Z. first sports car was a 1993 TT RX7 very fun. then had a 2003 Enthusiast 350z. Now have the 2008 base HR 350z. I love it. so much fun.

So I spoke with the previous owner... he said the slave cylinder had a leak in it so he replaced it with an aftermarket with steel lines.

while doing this he replaced the clutch with the exedy stage 2. he says 6puck, i didnt know they made a 6puck for a stage 2 but ok. brand new pressure plate and flywheel.

this was about 1,000 miles ago and all fluid is factory fluid from Nissan.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM
katinkid

He says he remembers specifically it was factory Nissan oil because it was expensive at about $20/quart and it took 5.5 quarts he says... sounds like a lot of fluid....

Like I said though, car shifts perfect warm or cold... its only got the issue at high rpms and only 1-2nd. every other gear at high rpms is perfect.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah in your case, I would just try new tranny fuild. Can't hurt and it's a relatively inexpensive way to likely solve the problem or find out if it might be something worse.

edit 5.5 qts is too much for the tranny...

Last edited by venture210; 08-13-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:12 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with Redline MT , i went with it and its butter smooth for my 03. Took like 20mins , easy job.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

No one is going to guess driver error on this one? Only so much abuse a gearbox, even the CD009, will take, and slamming it into 2nd gear at redline might be a bit much. Maybe pause for just an instant as you pass through neutral and let the revs drop and make things a bit easier for the synchros? Just a suggestion.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 PM
katinkid

Originally Posted by dcains
No one is going to guess driver error on this one? Only so much abuse a gearbox, even the CD009, will take, and slamming it into 2nd gear at redline might be a bit much. Maybe pause for just an instant as you pass through neutral and let the revs drop and make things a bit easier for the synchros? Just a suggestion.

I would slightly agree with you Dcains however, this isnt my first rodeo and it wasn't quite at redline. I'm talking about 7k rpms in first. so 500 from redline.

This is my 2nd Z and had 93 FD TT before that. absolutely have never had any issues even bouncing redline and SLAMMING into second.

to hit a wall as I'm describing in between first and second with no other issues IMO is a good cause to raise an eyebrow.

I will try the tranny fluid... again I have only had this car about a month. so I dont know how the previous owner treated it but with all gear working smooth besides this, the mileage and brand new parts I would assume he took decent care of it. He seemed pretty upfront and has answered every question I have asked.

Other then the 5.5qts....

So Redline MT good? never used it... any other recommendations?

Thank you all the replies guys. I could only assume besides this Synchros in first/second slightly worn. or off.

Last edited by katinkid; 08-19-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Damn I must baby my car, I would never try shifting without taking my foot off the gas.
The following 2 users liked this post by dboyzalter:
MicVelo (08-19-2016), terrasmak (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by katinkid
I would slightly agree with you Dcains however, this isnt my first rodeo and it wasn't quite at redline. I'm talking about 7k rpms in first. so 500 from redline.

This is my 2nd Z and had 93 FD TT before that. absolutely have never had any issues even bouncing redline and SLAMMING into second.

to hit a wall as I'm describing in between first and second with no other issues IMO is a good cause to raise an eyebrow.

I will try the tranny fluid... again I have only had this car about a month. so I dont know how the previous owner treated it but with all gear working smooth besides this, the mileage and brand new parts I would assume he took decent care of it. He seemed pretty upfront and has answered every question I have asked.

Other then the 5.5qts....

So Redline MT good? never used it... any other recommendations?

Thank you all the replies guys. I could only assume besides this Synchros in first/second slightly worn. or off.
Everyone has to drive like they're in a F&F movie, and they think that's OK - until something fails. You can't help everyone, and everyone thinks they're born knowing how to drive properly, as if it's in their DNA. No one would ever think about going to a driver's school, learning from someone else who has. Have at it, and see how long your Z lasts before it lets you down.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Damn I must baby my car, I would never try shifting without taking my foot off the gas.
Same here, only off throttle for a split second

Last edited by terrasmak; 08-19-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

nobody cares what you had, but to me it sounds like you drive like a douche. i don't get anywhere near redline
Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 PM
dcains

Just shows he doesn't know how to drive - max tq/hp on an HR motor is nowhere near the redline. Almost Thanksgiving, and the light poles are hungry for the next Dugan.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:38 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Whenever i have a bad day at work, the first entry i go to is Dugan the the drift king and before long my frown turns upside down and I'm rolling around busting my sides with laughter.
Anyway back to the problem that Katinkid is suffering, could it be with the way he's been brutalising his 'box that he could have knackered the triple cone sychronizers between 1st and 2nd?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM
katinkid

Funny all the douches are the guys on here who think they know somebody based on one post... their driving habits, driving history.

dcains... you have heard of Spring Mountain, Pahrump NV? Great driving school.

The only reason I have taken the car to high rpm's is because it's new to my inventory.

I dont need to defend myself. Im a 30yo with a perfect driving record so all of you assuming I drive like a douche F**k off and quit judging people other than yourselves.

This was a technical question that turned into bashing and for all you idiots know I could have been on the racetrack you tards.

so STFU and quit bashing based on assumptions.

At the time I have posted this thread I owned this car for less than 2 weeks... and hardly drove it due to NON OP status by original owner. Any GEARBOX issues is not from ME abusing the GEARBOX as I havnt hardly driven the damn car.

Last edited by katinkid; 09-06-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 AM
katinkid

Originally Posted by dcains
Just shows he doesn't know how to drive - max tq/hp on an HR motor is nowhere near the redline. Almost Thanksgiving, and the light poles are hungry for the next Dugan.

WHO said anything about max TQ/HP???? pretty sure the only thing I stated was that I shifted at 7000rpm 500 before redline.... read the damn thread douche
Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM
katinkid

Mods can we please close this thread as it has turned into a bashing fest for the hot dog lovers on this forum.

As a follow up to the question whoever advised to change transmission fluid that solved the problem. 1 and 2nd are smooth as can be all the way up to 7500rpms.

thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM
katinkid

Originally Posted by travlee
nobody cares what you had, but to me it sounds like you drive like a douche. i don't get anywhere near redline
You have never taken your car anywhere near redline? And you want to call me a douche? Have you never been on a racetrack? You computer monkey... GO DRIVE YOUR F***ING CAR

To me it sounds like you shouldnt be judging someone based on a post saying they bought a new/used car and took it near redline once.
Youre right nobody should care what ive had or driven or done as far as driving history in the past. only everyone is assuming I driving like a F&F fan boy whenever I get into a car. Im here to say I respect my vehicles and am very responsible with them. Have never been in a single accident. and have owned multiple high performance cars to say I know what im doing.

SO GET OFF MY NUTZ>

Last edited by katinkid; 09-06-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i dont have the need to take it to redline
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM
katinkid

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Whenever i have a bad day at work, the first entry i go to is Dugan the the drift king and before long my frown turns upside down and I'm rolling around busting my sides with laughter.
Anyway back to the problem that Katinkid is suffering, could it be with the way he's been brutalising his 'box that he could have knackered the triple cone sychronizers between 1st and 2nd?
How am I brutalizing my gear box shifting at 7,000 rpms on an extremely occasional basis? Please explain?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to get into 2nd...