Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first trip opinion on my Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:14 PM
stendori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first trip opinion on my Z

well we went for a good 450 mile ride and and figured i would share/ask questions. with super unleaded i avg. about 24.6 mpg either on the interstate of secondary roads between 74 to 45 mph. not sure how good that is as i was getting 28 mpg w/ my slk350 but it also had only 268 hp. the car has pretty good power for being stock and trying not to jack rabbit every light. it will need new tires next year as the stockers are over 3/4 worn with less then 11k on them. the only dislike i have is that it's too quiet when going up in the rpms and putting an aftermarket exhaust on is a gamble of not having it too loud(yea i am the weird one that hates loud 6 cly cars) and the sound clips on you tube is not really how any of them sound. I do have to read my book to see if or how often you lube the latches and pivot points of the top as it seems a little jumpy when going up/down. over all glad i bought the car so far. thanks
Old 08-16-2016, 02:27 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Your mileage figures sound pretty average for an HR traveling between 45-74 MPH. Nissan engineers really figured out how to lean out the air/fuel mixtures when traveling at a constant rate of speed in sixth gear. And if you're still on the original RE040 tires, you really should swap them out sooner, than later. The rubber compound is nine years old and worn- not a good combination for avoiding an accident on the road.

As for exhaust systems, try going to a meeting of your local Z car club, there's sure to be a variety of exhausts to listen to there. Good lock and enjoy your ZR!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:44 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

450mile trip... Isnt that a trip to the grocery store when you live in Maine?

If your looking for a little more noise try finding an S-tune exhaust...

You could also get a pop charger its super cheap and will add some noise in the high RPM... I would actually do this over an exhaust if yours is in good condition... Stock exhaust sounds awesome IMHO
Old 08-16-2016, 04:04 PM
stendori

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
450mile trip... Isnt that a trip to the grocery store when you live in Maine?

If your looking for a little more noise try finding an S-tune exhaust...

You could also get a pop charger its super cheap and will add some noise in the high RPM... I would actually do this over an exhaust if yours is in good condition... Stock exhaust sounds awesome IMHO
lol we actually went to the white mts. in NH for our little trip. exhaust like everything else on this car is mint so no rust anywhere as the under side car looks like it came out of show room. for me i really liked the sound of my wife's g37 exhaust note but this is a little quiet is all. thanks guys for the input. ya as far as tires goes i will try to reach for different tires.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Sounds as though you are satisfied with the car and its characteristics (i.e., exhaust sound, mileage, power, etc.).
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 AM
stendori

pretty much except for exhaust sound, i would say your correct.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
pretty much except for exhaust sound, i would say your correct.
As it has been suggested, what you are looking for is a nismo s-tune catback
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM
firekrave

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the S-Tune wakes it up. that's what i have on my car and like someone else said a pop charger. should balance it out nicely... heck you may just want to start out with the popcharger first.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM
magellster

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of exhaust tips on the forums. S-tune is a great recommendation for "waking up" the exhaust a bit. If you want a little deeper sound that isn't "loud" look into Borla TD or HKS. Both are a step up in volume from the S-tune. Quiet under 3400 RPM's but if you really get on it, they open up and it really sounds great. Especially with the windows down on those windy Maine roads. Mmmmm.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:11 AM
stendori

Originally Posted by magellster
Lots of exhaust tips on the forums. S-tune is a great recommendation for "waking up" the exhaust a bit. If you want a little deeper sound that isn't "loud" look into Borla TD or HKS. Both are a step up in volume from the S-tune. Quiet under 3400 RPM's but if you really get on it, they open up and it really sounds great. Especially with the windows down on those windy Maine roads. Mmmmm.
being this is a convertible i like the idea of having a quieter sound at the lower rmp range for sure. i did listen to a sound clip or borla and thought it was quiet, but again they are never a true sound compared in person. thanks again for all the great suggestions.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Not to take this too far OT, but back the Z33s were a "new" model, Nissan Sport Magazine hosted a few HPDE events in Colorado, New Mexico and Cali. At one of them, I was following a student who had a Stillen TD on his coupe. Slipstreaming behind him on a long straight, I'll always remember the wail from his exhaust. It sounded great!

A few years later, I ended up buying the Stillen TD from him and have to say, it's been a reliable and relatively quiet exhaust ever since. Until I get to WOT and then it just WAILS once again!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I have a borla... It is deff quieter than the oem exhaust, and doesn't sound as good... It does flow much better, looks much better, is better quality materials, but deff does not sound better... Maybe once I replace the cats it will liven up... But stay away from borla if you want more volume. You will be very disappointed.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 AM
magellster

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I have a borla... It is deff quieter than the oem exhaust, and doesn't sound as good... It does flow much better, looks much better, is better quality materials, but deff does not sound better... Maybe once I replace the cats it will liven up... But stay away from borla if you want more volume. You will be very disappointed.
Yeah, forgot to mention I have Borla headers too. I can't speak for just the exhaust. Mine is certainly not quieter than OEM but it isn't louder by any significant amount. Mine sounds amazing but I imagine without some header work it won't sound great.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 AM
stendori

i've listen to many different cars on you tube w/ the borla and some of them sounded really good. but good info to know as i would not want to waste my money.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with DKmura in an earlier post when he mentioned changing your tires sooner rather than later. Even if they have no cracks in the sidewalls and look OK, tires have a shelf life and are considered knackered after 5 years. the rubber gets hard and starts to perish, not a good combination for a 350Z.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:28 PM
stendori

updated: went for my 3rd big ride and car is running great. even seems to be getting better fuel mileage with mid grade gas (89) then with super(91) or least a half mix with 27.5 mpg. fyi tires are doing good consiering they are 3/4 worn out. don't think i would buy the oem tires if you can only get less then 15k on them. when i was looking at the pop charger set up i only saw a single unit. since the car has dual air inlets is there 2 of the aftermarket set up or converted to a single inlet for air? thanks.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

The 03-06 have a single throttle body and use the one pop charger, the 07+ have the 2 throttle bodies so you nees the duel set up...
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

https://www.z1motorsports.com/air-in...0z-p-3819.html
Old 08-27-2016, 05:38 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
updated: went for my 3rd big ride and car is running great. even seems to be getting better fuel mileage with mid grade gas (89) then with super(91) or least a half mix with 27.5 mpg. fyi tires are doing good consiering they are 3/4 worn out. don't think i would buy the oem tires if you can only get less then 15k on them. when i was looking at the pop charger set up i only saw a single unit. since the car has dual air inlets is there 2 of the aftermarket set up or converted to a single inlet for air? thanks.
How did no one comment on the 89 gas going in here? I'm sure it's fine in a pinch but I've never put less than 91 in my HR. Oh well.

As far as exhausts go I have the GReddy Evo2 (discontinued) as I wanted louder up top but not roaring around everywhere. I had that for about 2 years before I cut out the resonators and woke it up even more. Have a listen

I also dig the TiC single from GReddy. It seems like you know a bit about cars but maybe not a TON on the Z so I would recommend listening to Motordyne, Bassani, and ARK for a sound clip

Best of luck!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't cheap out on gas.

Quick Reply: first trip opinion on my Z