2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A Hint of Things To Come Z35-wise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts
Default A Hint of Things To Come Z35-wise?

http://www.hybridcars.com/nissan-hin...ng-considered/

How's that for disturbing sleeping caca? Hahahahahahaha!

Go.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The Z is dead. We were lucky to get one while they were still good. They're doing the same thing now, ruining the Z33/34 platform the same way they did back in the day to the original 240Z. Complexity, weight, features not becoming any sports car, $$$ price, etc. Marketing guys will never get sports car buyers.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I'm not married to the idea of internal combustion, look what a high end Tesla can do! Also, I 've seen my share of Leafs in the left lane doing 90mph. There might be a niche market for a performance version depending on price point.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:14 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If they can make a $35K Tesla, great, but it won't be $35K.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
If they can make a $35K Tesla, great, but it won't be $35K.
Laff..... 400,000 people that placed pre-orders for Model 3 seem to believe the hype.

1 of them is the guy buying my Volvo - who needs the car to hold him over "...until my Model 3 arrives next year cuz my existing high mileage Volvo just won't make it 'til then".

400 M-I-L-L-I-O-N taken in by Tesla on a promise. Psh. That's R&D money for the Model 3!

My question: "Will Tesla refund deposits to people who cancel their orders WITH INTEREST?" OK, accounting people, go figure out what $400M spells out in interest over a year for Tesla....
Old 08-24-2016, 04:24 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

The Z will never be a 4cyl. And will never be electric. They will stop making them before they do that. The Japanese are very much in to tradition, it has been said by the higher ups in nissan that this is the case.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Dear lawd, please say it isn't so
Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NiLL
The Z will never be a 4cyl. And will never be electric. They will stop making them before they do that. The Japanese are very much in to tradition, it has been said by the higher ups in nissan that this is the case.
If Porsche is making 4-bangers....
Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by jv350z
And 4 doors, and SUVs
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by StevSam
Dear lawd, please say it isn't so

You're getting trolled hard
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
I'm not married to the idea of internal combustion, look what a high end Tesla can do! Also, I 've seen my share of Leafs in the left lane doing 90mph. There might be a niche market for a performance version depending on price point.
Agreed about breaking the mold and doing something different.

I saw a Tesla today just take off and leave everyone behind. I actually considered it a possibility that I would someday own a sporty electric car.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Nissan broke many traditions in 1999 when Carlos Ghosn, a foreigner took the helm. Ghosn broke more than just tradition by closing several factories with mass lay offs. He then turned the company from bankruptcy to profit within a year. Nissan isn't worried about tradition when it comes to money.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
You're getting trolled hard
I just hope that the next Z isn't going to be an electric car. The idea of instant torque with an electric car does sound appealing, but it just doesn't feel natural. The purr of a Z exhaust note is the best
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 AM
NiLL

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Nissan broke many traditions in 1999 when Carlos Ghosn, a foreigner took the helm. Ghosn broke more than just tradition by closing several factories with mass lay offs. He then turned the company from bankruptcy to profit within a year. Nissan isn't worried about tradition when it comes to money.
That's fine, It's not going to happen with the Z. If the new g37/Qwhatever was a 4 banger I would think it was a possibility. It's not. They would have a Nismo sentra / IDX before the Z gets a 4cyl or electric.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:11 AM
NiLL

Originally Posted by jv350z
Porsche has to make money somewhere. Nissan has cars for profits.(Rogue/Versa/Altima) The Z isn't one of them. Not only does it not need to be changed because it was never meant to keep Nissan a float, It won't be.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I believe Nissan makes the Z as a hobby for car enthusiasts. They probably feel like it's a niche market. They obviously make their money from family cars such as the van, the suv, and the sedan. Whatever they decide to do with the Z will have to be so different that it hooks us instantly.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I believe Nissan makes the Z as a hobby for car enthusiasts. They probably feel like it's a niche market. They obviously make their money from family cars such as the van, the suv, and the sedan. Whatever they decide to do with the Z will have to be so different that it hooks us instantly.
It's no hobby- Nissan takes a lot of pride in being a full line car manufacturer. That means having at least a presence in every market segment, including "affordable sports cars". But Smooth is right; Nissan makes most sales/profit from sedans/crossovers and they hope- trucks in North America.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:47 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

That's fine, It's not going to happen with the Z. If the new g37/Qwhatever was a 4 banger I would think it was a possibility. It's not. They would have a Nismo sentra / IDX before the Z gets a 4cyl or electric.
Hate to break it to you, but the new Q50 (replacing the G37) DOES use a turbo four (2.0-liter) as one of the engine options. It's on sale now.

Nissan plans to release a new version of the NISMO Sentra this fall. According to your logic, the possibility the Z35 gets a 4 cylinder option or goes EV is increasing...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Hate to break it to you, but the new Q50 (replacing the G37) DOES use a turbo four (2.0-liter) as one of the engine options. It's on sale now.

Nissan plans to release a new version of the NISMO Sentra this fall. According to your logic, the possibility the Z35 gets a 4 cylinder option or goes EV is increasing...
Long "editorilization" viewpoint ahead, don't say I didn't warn ya.

OK, I have to weigh in here....

After my eye opening first trip to Europe this year, I am convinced - and echoing what I said in the "What's the next gen Z gonna be?" (or whatever it was called) thread BEFORE my visit - that it is entirely possible Nissan can (not "will", necessarily) leverage their partnership with Renault and more notably, Mercedes to offer a (choke, gasp.... ) turbo diesel/electric hybrid Z-car.

OK, heresy aside, here's why I say this. Nissan/Renault, under Ghosn's guidance developed the agreement with Mercedes for their world leading diesel technology, among other things. In addition, Nissan is aiming at being a leader in the next generation of green automotive technologies. And who better than Benz to do this with since they're NOT going to do a deal with their biggest market segment competitor, Toyota. Sure, could've worked with Audi on the diesel side but Mercedes is a more all around player in diesel AND electric.

Back to my "epiphany laden" venture to the Continent.... Diesel technology is alive and well, contrary to the U.S. motorist's POV. EVERYWHERE we went, there were almost more diesel powered cars than gasoline. And that extended to all segments of cars from econoboxes to luxo autostrada beasts to mid-sizers to trucks.

Here's proof:

These shots were taken of four different cars (three different marques) on a SINGLE block in Madrid, ES. And the same story held true throughout all six countries I was in last month.

The taxi/Uber fleets were at least evenly split between diesel and hybrid cars....tons of Priusii (Priuseses?) made up the taxi fleets. We personally rode in AT LEAST a dozen of 'em along with the vans/limos that were diesel, not a gas-only car amongst the fleet.

Furthermore, in our travels between cities and countries, if we weren't on a plane, our mode of transportation was 100% diesel cars and NONE had any issues getting up, going, and cruising at average speeds of 140kmh; easily on par with gasoline cars.

Our transport (car and driver) between Rome and Florence and also from Florence to Venice, different car & driver but same model.

So, how does this relate to this topic?

Simple. There's nothing to say that Nissan dumps the gasoline V6 or V8 in favor of alternate engine tech. We here in the U.S. need to open our eyes because the VQ engine, good as it is, is getting long in the tooth and the greener alternates are catching up (or caught up) in terms of power output, efficiency, and most importantly, being beneficial to the environment. (Not to mention the political stance of the manufacturers.... whole 'nother topic entirely.)

You may ask "Why the heck would Nissan commit such heresy on their second-to-the-performance-throne sports car?"

I would say, in addition to all of the above, "Take a look at Formula One."

What's powering those world dominating AMG Petronas Silver Arrows?? Hybrid technology. Small displacement turbo V6 (1.6L) with a monster MGU (electric motor) and huge ERS (energy recovery system) capabilities to supply the juice to the MGU. We're talking 1,000 horsepower from 1.6 liters of gas engine and a sewing machine motor here!

So, while you shouldn't hold your breath about getting a grand of ponies in a Z, the technology is there to deliver sufficient power for even the most jaded would-be Z-owner.

Likewise RBR (Red Bull Racing) in their "close second place" cars.... same type of drivetrain by FIA stipulation. But hey, they say Tag Heuer on them but the basis is "R-E-N-A-U-L-T". Now where have we heard THAT name before besides in front of "Le Car"??

Yep, same Renault that rescued Nissan and gave us our Z cars.

So, finally, I ask, inspired in part by Soichiro Honda's famous quote: "Racing improves the breed." (Yes, THAT "Honda"), why wouldn't a little trickle down theory work to power the next generation Z car? Especially when it comes from Nissan's "parent" company (not really but for all functional purposes, is)?

I'll STFU now.

Note: I am NOT encouraging nor endorsing any of this. Just playing the devil's advocate and trying to shed light on yet another POSSIBILITY given all of the speculation. I said it a year ago and I continue to believe it isn't out of the question.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Here is another possibility I could see launching in the new z car....
http://www.motortrend.com/news/infin...gine-for-2018/

The 2018 Q50 is planned to have this engine. As much as i would prefer the z to stay with a 6 cylinder, this could be a very viable replacement. Granted the z's price would have to increase due to cost of the engine. Still have not seen too many stats on the engine as of yet. Hopefully this fall at the Paris Auto Show, they will shed some more light on it.