Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

BC Racing Coilovers w/ Swift vs Koni Yellow /w RSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:55 PM
spitfire91104

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BC Racing Coilovers w/ Swift vs Koni Yellow /w RSR

I have been doing tons research on which coilover or spring/shock combo I should get. Lots of information out there but sometimes too much, making my decision more difficult.

My main goal is handling. My car is a DD/ soon to be weekend warrior.

I know the BC coilovers are not usually well regarded for any type of racing and more aimed towards someone who just wants to drop or slam. Didn't know if that was mainly due to the damper itself, the springs, or combo of both. I only plan on lowering 1in max myself but like the adjustability aspect of coilovers. I feel like I will be constantly be trying to tweak stuff. Z1 motorsports offers the BC coilovers with custom swift springs of my choosing. These also include monotube shocks vs the Koni's twin tube.

My other option would just be to go with Koni Yellows matched with the RSR springs. I liked these obviously because they are linear, give me a mild drop, and have stiffer rates than my unrevised springs. If I went this route I was thinking of later on down the road, sending them into Truechoice to be converted into of one their "phase" options.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by spitfire91104; 08-30-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 PM
spitfire91104

Sorry im an idiot and posted this in the wrong forum. Can I get this moved to the suspension forum by any chance?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 AM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm running (and would recommend ) Bilstien PSS10's prob one of the best street coilovers and they work fairly well for my skill level at the track.

Last edited by chatcher; 08-31-2016 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 AM
Rc_velox

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey OP,

I personally have BC racing shocks on my G35... Here's my two cents:

I think, for the price, you can't really beat BC racing. The products are decent in quality, and there is nothing wrong with the damper adjustment IMO. As far as springs are concerned, I've actually gone with H&R 60mm ID springs in the front.

http://www.frsport.com/H-R-RF250060-..._p_226595.html

The reason I did this is because I didn't want a stupid low drop, and these springs are actually pretty cheap IMO. You can get any combo of length and rate under the sun. (I'm still undecided on rear springs at the moment)

Also, the BC Racing units can be rebuilt and re-valved fairly easily, which could be important in the future.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:35 AM
spitfire91104

Chatcher- I have looked into those. They are indeed geares more towards street. They are really pricey though and I would want to swap out rear springs anyhow as they are progressive with a pretty wide spread from initial to final rates. Dampers are probably better though.

RC-velox- Thanks for your input on those. Assuming they have been holding up well? How many miles on em so far?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Rc_velox

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire91104
RC-velox- Thanks for your input on those. Assuming they have been holding up well? How many miles on em so far?
I think I have put 7k on them, but I bought them used so I really have no idea what the total mileage is.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just recently replaced my koni yellows and rsr ti2000 springs. Awesome DD and autocross setup for OTS parts. Now I'm on custom valved koni coilovers now.

I've driven a Z with bc coils (not sure what version) and was not impressed. Owner was looking for help with instability in corners. The car felt like compression was overdamped no matter what setting and rebound appeared to be non existent.

For a beginning autocross setup koni yellows are best damper you'll get under $2000 in a coil over setup. Plus you can do what I did and revalve / convert to coilovers.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:59 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I LOVE BC Racing coilovers. I've used them on the Z/G chassis as well as other chassis, and they are still some of my favorite bang for your buck suspension solutions.

HowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwEver, I would not recommend them for YOUR situation and here's why. The BC unit is a great unit for allowing a substantial drop without it feeling like you cut your springs. You can ride extremely low and still be comfortable. They also offer moderate performance at both mild and extreme drop levels. This is all in stock (out the box) form.

If you're planning to get a set and then you're going to upgrade to swift springs, you're moving past the price point that really allows BC to shine. Plus, based on your future plans and how little of a drop you're doing, I think you're getting more than what's really necessary. The only real draw to the BC's, at this point, would be the dampening ability. And, if I'm being honest, for your purposes, dampening isn't really going to matter much. I mean, anything's going to be stiffer than stock, but nothing unbearable.

I think the Koni option is your best option based on your plans.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

You could check out feal coilovers. They might be closer to what you want and should be higher quality than BC. Also custom built in N.A. and come with swift springs.

http://fealsuspensionstore.com/home/
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another one you can look at is MeisterR coilovers.
I am running on their GT1 coilovers at the moment and it is great, but it is their top end custom build unit.

Got another local member who is using their entry level ZetaCRD coilovers on his 370Z, and he done a review on the 370Z forums.
Worth a look, most of the owners in the local community who swap from the BC to the MeisterR all have been impressed.

http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspen...coilovers.html