Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

MOST POWER Bolt Ons around $1k? Intake/pop charger, Plenum spacer, tune? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:45 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

But seat time doesnt add hp. I need my 1000hp to get my milk and ceral with!

I love the fact that most racer i know, actually have gone to school. And when we mention it to the outsider, they're just like "wtf??? You needed to go to school to learn how to drive??? LOL" *proceeds to leave car meet, doing wicked sick burn out, and running into crowds*

Lol honestly, i see it all the time. The worse drivers always seems to think theyre the best and just proceed to crash. Hell, driving school was well worth the money after i nearly spun out in the ran. Haha the investment, yes investment, paid for itself when i managed to recover and not have a repair bill to deal with.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Invest in a final drive. If you can do the labor yourself, it will be well worth the money. From what I've read, people that have gotten the 4.08's seem to love them.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
But does it come with a cool sticker?
People confident in their abilities have no need to advertise.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Speednz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car any extended amount of time, i vote Osiris Uprev tuner. The amount of diagnostics that are included with Cipher make it worth its price alone. Much less the tuning capabilities.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrtus
Invest in a final drive. If you can do the labor yourself, it will be well worth the money. From what I've read, people that have gotten the 4.08's seem to love them.
If you love higher rpm on the highway
Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 AM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PSI-ELECTRI...-/162082997430
/end thread
Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Awww, dang, that's for a Ford.

Can I get a DUAL super-dee-dooper power turbo supercharger for HR engine and make 10psi? Double the horsepower that is.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 AM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
If you love higher rpm on the highway
You know that saying that goes, "God giveth and God taketh away"? That's kind of like how this is; God giveth that acceleration and God taketh some top end speed away.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:26 PM
slicnicz33

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best option is a plenum spacer and tune ( don't waste your money on another intake or aftermarket plenum if your n/a )

1. Uprev Osiris tune at either churches ( if you live in the OC area) or Specialty Z (If you live in the LA area) Pismo Knights is also a good tuner but he can only tune you on 91 pump gas (no e85)

1a. Get the plenum spacer also BEFORE your tune

2. If you DD the car then I say tires, if this Z is your weekend car then 4.08 final drive

3. coilovers/ alignment

4. Weight reduction

5. Stopping power ( upgrade to brembos) you don't go faster but stopping is just as important as going fast
Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 PM
ZFifty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you everyone for the input and help - I much appreciate it!

I should have mentioned that this is one part of a bigger plan- this is the minimal performance part, I am planning for suspension & such.

Recently upgraded wheels & tires, got some nice sticky potenza S-04 pole position rubber in 245F and 275R staggered.

Besides the wheels/tires my only current modification is a Stillen true dual Exhaust & drop-in

I am thinking of getting the plenum spacer, a tune and on the fence about a LMT intake. Also possibly on ART pipes as I may be moving out of state.
Thinking of a tune from Church's in socal or saulnismoknights from the various feedback I have heard.

Thoughts/Opinions On:
1-- WHat type of suspension or coilovers would you All recommend? that will not break the bank
2-- Weight - What can I do for weight reduction besides spare tire, rear wiper/motor, etc?
3--Brakes - I have been trying to find OEM track model Brembos but they are all so expensive or the decent priced ones sell too quick
4-- Track time - I have done a bit of track time including scca autocross, but I do want to get more under my belt for sure

My car is an '03 VQ35DE 350Z with about 75k miles. It half time DD it

Last edited by ZFifty; 09-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Somebody say weight savings?
Name:  IMG_20130824_203046_1_zps78cc04ea.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  298.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
MartinZ (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:41 AM
MartinZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFifty
I am thinking of getting the plenum spacer, a tune and on the fence about a LMT intake.
The LMT intake is an expensive joke
If you must put an intake on it, get the JWT Pop charge - it's reasonably priced and breaths well

Plenum spacer proven to work on your engine/year

I would not spend money on a tune unless you actually make constructive changes that a tune can exploit - equal length headers, cam's, etc

Also possibly on ART pipes as I may be moving out of state.
This will increase performance - likely to be illegal depending on which state - will be noisy and you can get some unpleasant smells

1-- WHat type of suspension or coilovers would you All recommend? that will not break the bank
2-- Weight - What can I do for weight reduction besides spare tire, rear wiper/motor, etc?
3--Brakes - I have been trying to find OEM track model Brembos but they are all so expensive or the decent priced ones sell too quick
4-- Track time - I have done a bit of track time including scca autocross, but I do want to get more under my belt for sure
1) No point buying budget coil overs

2) All the stereo gear - the lead weight in the hatch - the seats are a big ticket item, they are seriously heavy, but decent seats are expensive

3) Good brakes cost money and they are a consumable (pads and rotor)
Cheapest option is quality brake fluid and some nice brake pads
Next option would be a Akebono brake kit from a 370z (very heavy however)

4) You will get more return and improvement from this (driving experience and practice) than all the changes you've listed put together

Stay away from the rev limit - it's just a matter of time before a con rod big end lets go (when consistently used at redline)
(Hint - it's a lot more expensive fixing a busted engine than making your engine stronger)
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I still see a few ounces that could be shaved
Old 09-10-2016, 11:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Not your car, right, Mike?

If it were/is, I'm going to say you have a problem with chronic automotive anorexia and we need an intervention because that's just ridiculous.

And to whomever's car that IS.... hope that's a race car in progress and nothing driven on the street cuz you're going to crash from falling asleep at the wheel from CO ingestion on a long haul.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Haha no deff not mine, my wife was ready to kick my *** from suggesting I take out the speaker- glove box area... Some dude posted that in the less weight thread...

Mine currently looks like

That minus the wiring harness because I took that out... I also dont currently have a rear differential, or an exhaust system, or a sway bar, and only the center piece of a W brace...

So I have mad weight savings for a soap box racer.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 PM
ZedFed

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednz
If you plan on keeping the car any extended amount of time, i vote Osiris Uprev tuner. The amount of diagnostics that are included with Cipher make it worth its price alone. Much less the tuning capabilities.
Not jacking just curios...

I downloaded the tuner software from uprev afte rI ordered and it came with Ciypher but I do not see any tunes like they say it comes with. Im I missing something?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:43 PM
ZFifty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MartinZ
The LMT intake is an expensive joke
If you must put an intake on it, get the JWT Pop charge - it's reasonably priced and breaths well

Plenum spacer proven to work on your engine/year

I would not spend money on a tune unless you actually make constructive changes that a tune can exploit - equal length headers, cam's, etc

This will increase performance - likely to be illegal depending on which state - will be noisy and you can get some unpleasant smells

1) No point buying budget coil overs

2) All the stereo gear - the lead weight in the hatch - the seats are a big ticket item, they are seriously heavy, but decent seats are expensive

3) Good brakes cost money and they are a consumable (pads and rotor)
Cheapest option is quality brake fluid and some nice brake pads
Next option would be a Akebono brake kit from a 370z (very heavy however)

4) You will get more return and improvement from this (driving experience and practice) than all the changes you've listed put together

Stay away from the rev limit - it's just a matter of time before a con rod big end lets go (when consistently used at redline)
(Hint - it's a lot more expensive fixing a busted engine than making your engine stronger)
Thank you for all of the great input!

Plenum/TUNE-- Wont I need a tune if i put on the plenum spacer?
What other should I put on at the same time to make the best of the tune? Thats why I was thinking intake/etc at same time then get tune for it all

1-- What brand & model coilovers do you all recommend?
Did not mean to say budget, more-so just not one that will break the bank. Not where you just paying for the name, but also not knock off or cheap crap.

2--I have been looking at seats actaully - both for weight and cuz I am a 36/38 waist and not a small asian man like the designers of the car! Plus I am tall and barely fit with headroom so thats a factor. & want adjustable recline. I need a lighter, wider and . Glanced at the bride lowmax but pricey.

3--Maybe I will search further for stock brembos -- or great idea on the nice fluid and pads if I cant find low cost brembos

4-- I just also want to prep my car for the track, so get some add-ons first then take it to the track. Get a little more power, get some stopping power, weight reduction etc etc. then go. Last thing I want to do is go now, get all used to it and then throw all these parts at it and have to then get used to new driving experience when I could have done that in first place

Any other input from people is much appreciated! thank you all!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

2--I have been looking at seats actaully - both for weight and cuz I am a 36/38 waist and not a small asian man like the designers of the car!
All that commentary and I key in on this. Laff.

And let's not forget the first Asian inducted into the BB HOF this year...

Then there's me..... 6', 200. Small by this generation of Asian standards but growing up, "Why, hello there.... freak!"

I'm just kiddin' around but.... I fit fine in my Z.

Laff.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:39 AM
AffyliatedZ

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you everyone for the input and help - I much appreciate it!

I should have mentioned that this is one part of a bigger plan- this is the minimal performance part, I am planning for suspension & such.

Recently upgraded wheels & tires, got some nice sticky potenza S-04 pole position rubber in 245F and 275R staggered.

Besides the wheels/tires my only current modification is a Stillen true dual Exhaust & drop-in

I am thinking of getting the plenum spacer, a tune and on the fence about a LMT intake. Also possibly on ART pipes as I may be moving out of state.
Thinking of a tune from Church's in socal or saulnismoknights from the various feedback I have heard.

Thoughts/Opinions On:

I can vouch for Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers around $1200 for the set. Great for daily and some track time. Upgrade to the 510 series for $1500 for a more dedicated track car.

You can also look into a shock/spring combo instead of coilovers. Bilstein shocks + Swift springs. An awesome combo that doesn't break the bank either.