Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I buy a 350z for my first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM
zimjig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll state my opinion coming from a 32 year old. But in the end it's your choice.

The Z is a great car. It handles great, looks great, but it sucks as a daily driver.

First, you don't have much cargo space. Being that you're 19, I'm sure you'll have some life changes coming up to where you'll move out of your parents to get your own place, might go out on some weekend trips etc... The Z isn't a great car if you're expecting a lot of changes coming soon.

Second - you live where it snows. The Z is a rear wheeled drive car and if you don't have snow tires on, expect some butt puckering moments driving in the snow. Since you're on a budget, I doubt you'll be able to afford two sets of tires. 1 set for warmer months and the second set for winter months.

Third - Your own budget which is topped out at 14K - I did a quick search on autotrader for the Chicago area (zip code 60126 with a 50 mile radius) and not 1 Z popped up. However- you can find plenty of AWD cars like a Subaru Impreza (

Last edited by zimjig; 09-30-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: updated
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 AM
zimjig

I'll state my opinion coming from a 32 year old. But in the end it's your choice.

The Z is a great car. It handles great, looks great, but it sucks as a daily driver.

First, you don't have much cargo space. Being that you're 19, I'm sure you'll have some life changes coming up to where you'll move out of your parents to get your own place, might go out on some weekend trips etc... The Z isn't a great car if you're expecting a lot of changes coming soon.

Second - you live where it snows. The Z is a rear wheeled drive car and if you don't have snow tires on, expect some butt puckering moments driving in the snow. Since you're on a budget, I doubt you'll be able to afford two sets of tires. 1 set for warmer months and the second set for winter months.

Third - Your own budget which is topped out at 14K - I did a quick search on autotrader for the Chicago area (zip code 60126 with a 50 mile radius) and not 1 Z popped up. However- you can find plenty of AWD cars like a Subaru Impreza (
Old 09-30-2016, 08:51 AM
zimjig

with under 59,000 miles for about 11K

If you absolutely have to get a coupe, spend about 12K and that will get you a decent civic, focus, or scion. Also find one that is a manual. Don't buy a Altima 2.5S coupe though, great car, but it's boring to drive with the CVT transmission.

That's my $.02. Let us know what you decide to go with. I'm now curious
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM
sjtomcat

I just bought a 2006 350z with 44k miles on it 4 months back. This was my first car purchased with my own money and I am 21. As long as you find something with low miles it wont be too bad. I paid 12k for mine and it was in mint condition except for the interior where the paint was scratched off at points. Just don't drive it like an idiot and always keep good tires on it. My tires are worn down and I took a corner going 20 after it had rained and I spun out and hit a curb. Had to replace the toe rod in the back and the wheels cause I bent one of them. So as long as you don't do what I did youll be fine.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 PM
zimjig

^^^What sjtomcat said. Try to keep your search to under 75K miles. The lower the better.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Back in '03 I got a 350z as my first car and daily driver. So my answer is yes, go for it. They are a lot cheaper now for '03-06's then back then. I lived in Denver at the time and I'd just recommend to get some winter rims and run blizzak's and studded during the winter season if you really want to be better of. Get the LSD version to so like an enthusiast model. I'd go 6MT so you can have better control of what the car is doing in the snow *IMO if your a seasoned stick driver in snow/ice.

Like you I did the route of slowly modding it to have fun over time. Eventually went TT and dailyed that for a long time. Stuff will break even N/A, those years had a fair bit of TSB's but as long as you stay on top of them all and take care of the car, you should be okay. If I could do it all over again now, I'd probably tell my young self back then to just get a vette due to the long term cheap/power ratio mod ability there as you simply can't beat the LS platform there. But I liked the Z looks more, it was absolutely a much more expensive route but I was glad I went thru it as it was a lot of great memories. Now at 34 with my 3rd Z in the stable, my next fun car will be a vette to join it, how stuff turns out...

Last edited by Juztin; 10-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:32 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 1st $1000 you spend better be for winter tires/wheels.

2nd mod should be a track day with an instructor teaching you how to drive a RWD semi-fast car. Nothing worse than a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

You say you will be financing it - through bank or mom and dad? At 19 you can't have much of a credit history so depending on year of the car, the interest rate is going to be steep. Full insurance for a 19 year old in Chicago won't be cheap either. And before you ask, no one here has ANY idea how much - call your agent, actually call several. Do not rely on on-line quotes - they are basically worthless.
Most bolt on engine mods are basically worthless. Figure about $100 per HP. Brakes and suspension would be a better choice.
You say that you are going to drive it hard? See you back here within six months with your "story".....