Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just bought my 350z common wear items to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Empire087

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my 350z common wear items to look for

Alright, just took my z out for the first drive today. Since winter is right around the corner im looking to get things sorted out before i hit drift season in the spring. Right now mine badly needs valve cover gaskets which it will be getting here soon. Other than that it seems to run/drive/stop pretty decent.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:34 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Everytime I buy a car I always change fluids unless your certain they have been changed recently.

My steps and what I did with my Z was:
Change oil
Change trans oil
Change coolant
Change PS fluid
Check brake fluid change if needed aka soft brakes since it's labor intensive

Check your PS pump for leaks
Check valve covers
Check oil pan leaks
Spark plugs if you want but a PITA to get to so I skipped that for now. Boosting soon so I'll wait till then to check mine
Then check all bushings and mounts

I'm sure I missed or forgot some
Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 PM
bleclair00

suspension!!!!!! i bought mine and had full lowering coil overs and right rear was leaking. not a big deal just sent it in and they re-serviced and packed all 4.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Empire087
Alright, just took my z out for the first drive today. Since winter is right around the corner im looking to get things sorted out before i hit drift season in the spring. Right now mine badly needs valve cover gaskets which it will be getting here soon. Other than that it seems to run/drive/stop pretty decent.

Thanks!
If your car needs valve cover gaskets more than likely you will have to replace the valve covers. Pull all the coil packs out and see if there is oil in the spark plug holes. If so you will have to replace the valve covers. My car is an 03 with built motor and a Greddy 20g TT kit. I have had some issues I'll list the issues ive had in the last year with mine. 1. Cam and crank sensors. 2. Window motors. 3. Valve covers. 4. Tpms sensor. 5. Front lower control arm bushings. (Replaced with white line). I did a full suspension bushing kit front and rear including diff and subframe bushings. If you plan on tracking or drifting the car I would recommend doing this. Also upgrades for drifting I would highly recommend upgrading the cooling system and getting an oil cooler. Hope this helps!
Old 11-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Suspension bushings & swaybar endlinks. I still need to replace mine .
Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 AM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Window motors.. both will go eventually just a matter of when.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Abe_Froman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1 for Suspension bushing and shocks/struts as these will contribute to tire feathering faster if worn out. Valve cover gaskets but you are already on top of that. Don't be scared of the spark plugs. You do have to remove the intake and a few wires/brackets to get to them but they aren't as bad as some of the wussies here make them out to be. After dealing with bad coilpacks the last few months (another thing to check on) I could probably get all my plugs changed in about 20 mins now.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Empire087

The car got cam sensors about 2k miles ago previous owner had the receipt from the nissan dealer he had it done at. I have been driving it for the last few days and everything seems to be pretty tight. But i will certainly be crawling under there and seeing whats all going on with suspension bushing and everything, as next year its gonna do double duty as a track car and drifting.

Ill put new plugs in when i do the valve cover gaskets, cheap and easy to do once your in there(i did watch one of the how to guides on valve cover gaskets). I am reasonably sure im doing coilovers over the winter, as im betting money the stock struts/springs are getting pretty tired. So when i do those ill do everything else, ideally im gonna see if i can get it up on a lift and do a once over.

I appreciate it guys, certainly been enjoying thing with this car.