Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Changing grounds after Wire Tuck, unconventional grounding locations/technical

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Changing grounds after Wire Tuck, unconventional grounding locations/technical

So I finished my driver and passenger side wire tuck after I did the engine harness last week. I did have a 7 wire grounding kit on the car, now I have a 4 wire. ECU, Intake to Battery, Battery to chassis and Battery to engine, wire was to short to run an more.

Now here is my questions if anyone has experience. I'm not asking is a grounding kit good or what gains. I don't have a meter so can't really test these grounds.

1. With the wire tuck the only place logical I could ground my coil packs was in the rear of the engine down on the drivers side. A bracket coming off the block. I assume this is ok. Its steel and not aluminum. Both coil packs on 1 bolt, nothing else

Should I ground a wire from this location to the chassis? Like to the back of the fake firewall?

2. The passenger side ground wire, the one that is next to the battery that is actually the grounds for almost everything else. Those who haven't cracked this loom open think its just 1 10-8 guage wire but it is in fact 7-8 different ground wires in 1 connection. I had to extend this and used a 8 guage wire about 8 inches to reattach to the factory location by the battery/fuse area.

I could have attached this wire inside the fender, but chose to extend it. For resistance reasons and so on I was debating mounting these ground wires separately inside the fender which is hidden by the fender well. Meaning drill 7-8 small holes for each wire, or joining a couple of them. All were 18-14 guage with 1 wire being a 10-12 guage. My thinking is each one has its own ground less of a chance of grounding issues. Or is this redundant.

3. Having to reroute my current grounding kit to match the wire tuck with no visible wires, these ground wires seem kind of long. I've always been tought never to have a important ground longer than 18 inches if you can help it. I don't have any other grounding kit wires other than what I named, ECU, Battery to intake, battery to chassis and battery to engine and I think engine to chassis now that I remember.

So I want effectiveness should I throw a wire from chassis to my coil pack ground location and what should I change about the factory grounds that are grouped together. Leave them as is or run each one independently hidden under the fender. All connections are cleaned up bare metal.