2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible wheel bearing problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 AM
sjtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible wheel bearing problem??

I have this humming sound coming from the front right side of my 2006 350z. Im assuming it is a wheel bearing however the humming becomes noticeable from speeds around 20-55mph then goes away but if i reach 80 mph it comes back. I havent noticed the noise go away if I turn to the right or left as if changing lanes so I am not sure what could be the problem.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by sjtomcat
I have this humming sound coming from the front right side of my 2006 350z. Im assuming it is a wheel bearing however the humming becomes noticeable from speeds around 20-55mph then goes away but if i reach 80 mph it comes back. I havent noticed the noise go away if I turn to the right or left as if changing lanes so I am not sure what could be the problem.
jack the car up, grab wheel at 12 and 6 and shake.... does it move? while car is up in the air, spin the wheel..... does it make a whuuuuuuur sound?

come on man, do some basic troubleshooting
Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM
sjtomcat

Originally Posted by travlee
jack the car up, grab wheel at 12 and 6 and shake.... does it move? while car is up in the air, spin the wheel..... does it make a whuuuuuuur sound?

come on man, do some basic troubleshooting
Yeah i was going to do that today after I got off work. Just havent had time. Thought maybe there was an obvious answer I wasnt able to think of.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

nah, if you go up or down in a parking garage you will prob hear it more when going one way vs the other because more load being on it. they are pretty straight forward to replace
Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 PM
ZmanIsCool

Default Another thought . . .

A better way to see if it's a wheel bearing is to listen while you're on a highway ramp or exit (ie: left side vs right side). This way you can figure out which side might be bad. You may hear a slight grinding sound from one side or the other driving straight which will become more pronounced when rounding a curve or ramp, as it were.

However, most times you can find out at medium to high speeds (55 - 65mph, not 110!) simply by swerving a bit to your left, then to your right. Better to do the ramp. You don't need to kill yourself doing this.

If you do need one, they're easy to replace. I had a bad bearing, so I bought a replacement hub (you can't buy just the bearing race any more), but by the time I decided to replace it 10 months later, I found I needed both, so I bought a pair in addition to the one I had because it was cheaper per unit at that time to buy a pair. My Zcar is a salvage recovered Z and I expected such issues. Typically, one goes long before the other.

Therefore, I have one for sale if you need it. They're usually around $130-140 each and, since I don't need the extra one I have, I can offer it to you for under $100.

Contact me if you want it. Either way, the troubleshooting information provided is correct.

Z
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

That also kinda sounds like tires. My 05 had that problem, from about 15 to 50 they roared. Swap the tires and it went away for 10k miles , slowly came back.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:18 AM
ZmanIsCool

Default Tireso? Maybe.

My answer was dependent upon ruling out a simple problem like damaged tires. By all means, check the tires first. Often, the best answer is the easy answer.

My solution was dependent upon exhausting all of the most obvious choices first, then moving forward. Please excuse me for not including this scenario within the possibilities set forth.

Your best solution requires the step by step elimination of the simplest answer toGassaway the most difficult ones that exist.

I hope this helps. C
Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 AM
ZmanIsCool

Default Tires? Maybe.

My answer was dependent upon ruling out a simple problem like damaged tires. By all means, check the tires first. Often, the best answer is the easy answer.

My solution was dependent upon exhausting all of the most obvious choices first, then moving forward. Please excuse me for not including this scenario within the possibilities set forth.

Your best solution requires the step by step elimination of the simplest answer to the most difficult ones that exist.

I hope this helps. C
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ZmanIsCool
Therefore, I have one for sale if you need it. They're usually around $130-140 each and, since I don't need the extra one I have, I can offer it to you for under $100.

Contact me if you want it. Either way, the troubleshooting information provided is correct.

Z
Dude, nice of you to offer the part, but please read this thread just so everyone stays consistent. No one wants to get scammed on this site (mind you, I'm not accusing you of anything... yet.)

https://my350z.com/forum/private-cla...fieds-194.html
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I also think it is the tires.

In my own experience when my front passenger side wheel bearing went bad on my B13, the humming did not go away at certain speeds. The higher the mph, the more of a hum I heard. Also, big way to figure it out is that it would get much louder during braking or turning in the opposite direction. In my case, under braking and making left turns, the hum would magnify due to the load being put on the front passenger side bearing.

When I had my second set of BFG KDW2s installed on my Z, it sounded like a bad wheel bearing. Turns out the place overfilled my tires by about 15psi. Corrected the psi and the humming went away.

Tires and wheel bearings make very similar noise.

Good luck!