Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Passing smog with Uprev?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Dillon Vang

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Passing smog with Uprev?

I'm sure this has been asked and yes I've looked around but kinda wanna get a definite answer. Smog is coming this year for me so i wanted to know if I could pass smog with all stock parts back on the car and just running the stock map? Or would it be a better choice to just flash it back to stock?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I just got my car smogged yesterday and had a good talk about this with the shop.

The pass fail goes off of OEM specs. If they see or find out your car is running rich to support a mod or turbo via ECU edit or map mod plug in they will auto fail.

If they even see the uprev tuner plugged in they are supposed to fail you.

As of right now if you convert back to stock you should pass. But he said some shops now and in the near future all shops will be required to run a new system where they will plug into the OBDII port and see if the ECU has ever been changed or modded, even if or when any new codes or maps have been set in place or thrown. Even if a engine light is cleared you need like some sort of way to prove its been fixed not just cleared or disabled cause the new system will apparently know that. Apparently it pulls EVERYTHING the car has ever done ECU or code wise.

Resulting in a fail. He said the only way to pass is from big name turbo kits who have been deemed and have certs for smog compliant due to them submitting and paying for testing and cert on specific kits which allow their system to run off uprev or type systems and specific set maps.

But in short, if you have your uprev in the car or plugged in... Its a visual fail and might show up at a aftermarket map. Even if OEM tune it still will be piggy back.

If its not seen and everything is 100% stock it should pass. Or find a shop that's "more lenient" on passing cars and inspections.

Last edited by CK_32; 02-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I've been running with an Uprev Tune on my Z for the past 4-5 years. Besides the common bolt-ons (MREV2 Plenum + Spacer, Intake, exhaust, brakes, suspension) and my Uprev tune, my Z is stock. I haven't had any trouble passing smog in CA. I believe my Z is running a bit richer vs. the factory tune and the timing is advanced a bit more. Should I need to, I can always use the Cruise Control buttons to switch to the factory tune/map before I head in for a smog, but so far this hasn't been required.

Note, I'm not running a piggy-back system. I had my factory ECU reflashed and tuned by an Uprev partner/tuner. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you live in CA, just make sure you have CARB EO numbers available for aftermarket components in case the Smog inspector decides to look over your vehicle with a microscope.
-Icer
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

good ol commi-fornia
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
icer5160 (02-09-2017), pyshin (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Z33E

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Texas.
texas is the best.
No one cares about smog around here
Old 02-08-2017, 12:10 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33E
I live in Texas.
texas is the best.
No one cares about smog around here
true story, they just care about ses lights
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
I just got my car smogged yesterday and had a good talk about this with the shop.

The pass fail goes off of OEM specs. If they see or find out your car is running rich to support a mod or turbo via ECU edit or map mod plug in they will auto fail.

If they even see the uprev tuner plugged in they are supposed to fail you.

As of right now if you convert back to stock you should pass. But he said some shops now and in the near future all shops will be required to run a new system where they will plug into the OBDII port and see if the ECU has ever been changed or modded, even if or when any new codes or maps have been set in place or thrown. Even if a engine light is cleared you need like some sort of way to prove its been fixed not just cleared or disabled cause the new system will apparently know that. Apparently it pulls EVERYTHING the car has ever done ECU or code wise.

Resulting in a fail. He said the only way to pass is from big name turbo kits who have been deemed and have certs for smog compliant due to them submitting and paying for testing and cert on specific kits which allow their system to run off uprev or type systems and specific set maps.

But in short, if you have your uprev in the car or plugged in... Its a visual fail and might show up at a aftermarket map. Even if OEM tune it still will be piggy back.

If its not seen and everything is 100% stock it should pass. Or find a shop that's "more lenient" on passing cars and inspections.
^^^ All true here in CA. Also watch out for the "gotcha".... where they plug into OBD and the scope pulls a "Not Supported" (which can happen with UpRev installed despite running OEM map - not always but it's happened). Dead giveaway, immediate fail.

I know....people are gonna say, "But if it passes the sniffer....". Welllll, all well and good but they typically do NOT put our Zs on the pipe test. If it fails either visual or above "error msg", toast.

Here's one place I like the "hardware approach".... spare ECM, all stock settings.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Dillon Vang

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicVelo
^^^ All true here in CA. Also watch out for the "gotcha".... where they plug into OBD and the scope pulls a "Not Supported" (which can happen with UpRev installed despite running OEM map - not always but it's happened). Dead giveaway, immediate fail.

I know....people are gonna say, "But if it passes the sniffer....". Welllll, all well and good but they typically do NOT put our Zs on the pipe test. If it fails either visual or above "error msg", toast.

Here's one place I like the "hardware approach".... spare ECM, all stock settings.

This here is why I ask the question if it would have any smogging issues. Great info and thanks for the answer guys! Worst case I guess I'll be looking for a stock ecu if they catch that.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:22 PM
CK_32

Yea just try your way and if it doesn't pass then worry about it.

Most places offer one free retest. Just make sure they offer a free retest after a failure. Then come back with your stock ECU
Old 02-08-2017, 02:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillon Vang
This here is why I ask the question if it would have any smogging issues. Great info and thanks for the answer guys! Worst case I guess I'll be looking for a stock ecu if they catch that.
If you go with a second ECM, make sure it's got the right code, same as for your year as there are changes with each successive and previous ECM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Yep, sick of the regulations here in Commi-Fornia. If it wasn't for my good job, I would have left the state years ago. Looks like I'll need to start planning an exit strategy sooner rather than later with all this "Sanctuary State/City" nonsense going around. CA is bankrupt and only going to get worse once Federal funds are cut.

Sorry to get off topic, just venting. CARB stuff really grinds my gears!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:52 AM
CK_32

The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (02-10-2017)

Search this Thread