Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Passenger door won't open!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Studio_city_rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door won't open!

Hi Z folks! Don't make to many posts here but I've got an issue that I'm wondering if anyone has had and resolved before?
My problem is my passenger side door on my ZR will not open from inside or out, the handles offer no resistance when pulled so I'm thinking that the issue must be broken/disconnected latch/unlatch cable or mechanisms. Sooooo is there a way or trick to get the door open so that I can take off the panel and get a clear view at what's actually broken?
Its been suggested that I take the door panel off from inside but that's not really possible with the door closed is it??
Has anyone had this problem before and gotten the door open without damaging the door or panel or anything?
If so would love to hear how it was done! I've searched the issue but most seem to be able to open the door from the inside or vice versa when one handle doesn't work.
Thanks!
Rob
Old 02-28-2017, 11:50 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call a locksmith, take it to a body shop, or ask the police if they can use their slimjim to open it. Also google:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...de-or-out.html

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-position.html

Last edited by Theminatar; 02-28-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

You need to get one of these installed

The part is called the ejecto seato button. Passenger door should open right up.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
You need to get one of these installed

The part is called the ejecto seato button. Passenger door should open right up.
I think he just ejected all the pixels.....
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Studio_city_rob

Originally Posted by Theminatar
Call a locksmith, take it to a body shop, or ask the police if they can use their slimjim to open it. Also google:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...de-or-out.html

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-position.html
thanks, in my google search I came up with what you have above plus a few other similar issues, was hoping for something a bit more conclusive.... I'm going to see if I can borrow a slimjim from a local body shop or see if they'll do it for me and go from there.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM
fairlady33z

Does the inside door handle have any resistance to it at all or is it just the outside one lacking resistance? Either way, you can try holding the open button down on your remote for 5 seconds and let the windows go down all the way. Then if you shine a light into the crack the window falls down into, close to the door handle itself (about 3-4 inches) you will see a rod going into a blue little plastic actuator. This is what needs to be pulled up for your door to open using the inside door handle. I used to have a similar problem when my passenger (and then subsequently the driver's side) door handle broke, so I had to do the above method in while I waited for new handles. I became a pro to where I could do it in literally 15 seconds (including window going down) just to avoid being seen in public... I used a thin steel rod about 3-4 feet long, and then made a 'J' hook at one end to where I could slide it between the door, latch it to the blue actuator and rod, pull up and voila! LOLOL I hope it helps save you a trip to dealer or better yet save you some money!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Studio_city_rob

Originally Posted by fairlady33z
Does the inside door handle have any resistance to it at all or is it just the outside one lacking resistance? Either way, you can try holding the open button down on your remote for 5 seconds and let the windows go down all the way. Then if you shine a light into the crack the window falls down into, close to the door handle itself (about 3-4 inches) you will see a rod going into a blue little plastic actuator. This is what needs to be pulled up for your door to open using the inside door handle. I used to have a similar problem when my passenger (and then subsequently the driver's side) door handle broke, so I had to do the above method in while I waited for new handles. I became a pro to where I could do it in literally 15 seconds (including window going down) just to avoid being seen in public... I used a thin steel rod about 3-4 feet long, and then made a 'J' hook at one end to where I could slide it between the door, latch it to the blue actuator and rod, pull up and voila! LOLOL I hope it helps save you a trip to dealer or better yet save you some money!
Thanks for this! Neither inside or outside handle offers any resistance at all, so I'm thinking your above mentioned method with a homemade slimjim is the way.
When my drivers outside door handle broke I used the remote-auto windows down method and just reached inside to open it up because the inside latch linkages were still connected and working.
Sounds like you got pretty good at slimjimming your door open!
Again thanks, I definitely WONT be taking it to the dealer for this, I'll fab a homemade slimjim this weekend and go fishing for the blue actuator and try to get good at this so I can replace my handles/linkages myself in the next week.
Thanks much for the insight!