Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

This week I finished my new dry-cell battery installation. Reason? To shave weight off of the front. Stock battery weights 35.5 lbs on my scales and my new PC545 is 11.5 lbs. 24 lbs difference. Some people might say "what the point? you wouldn't notice!". Well to each his own... I can assure you car accelerate and turns better. Because it has less inertia. That's the law of physics.

Odyssey battery series is most recommended according to my research, and they really do superb product. PC545 is one of the smallest in series. It comes fully charged, in tough shell and can be installed upside down or on side or however you need it. Car starts without a hesitation... I use the battery for 5 days now. Of course it's not recommended to listen to audio with engine off. Or to leave headlights on. Buttery discharge time is 19 minutes as I understood.

Also some research shows danger of hi temperatures for dry-cell batteries... I found out that Z's battery compartment is well isolated from engine compartment and it's actully cool there after a drive. It' probably ventilated somehow...

First, couple of pictures of stock and dry-cell side by side:

Last edited by Vlad; 05-03-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:57 AM
jckolnturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's so small you could carry a second one in case that one dies but that would defeat the purpose right?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:05 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vlad, I like your thinking. This car needs to go on a crash diet. Don't you run in B-Stock though? Can you change your battery under SCCA rules? I can't recall.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Vlad

Default Re: DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

Now to the installation. It took me quite a while to think out the best installation method... and couple of trips to home depot...

So here is how i did it. You'll need 1 piece of aluminum L profile 1x1". One piece of aluminum square profile 1x1". Two 10-32 1 1/2" bolts (if I remember well) with cup-shaped nuts. Two 1/2 screws, and drill. Paint if you want to paint new pieces.

Installation is totally reversabel so it allows to switch back to stock battery for winter.

First, open the battery compartment. Plastic cover is hold by 5 plastic rivets. The pop up easily if you push them up from inside. With compartment open unattach the battery terminals, screws, and remove the battery.

Since wires are quite short, there is really only one position where wires will reach the battery. That's were new holder for the battery goes

It's made from aluminum 1x1 L profile. I just lay the piece near the battery and did all the measurements... In the corners I drill 1/4 whole, and cut 90deg piece with metal scissors. It bends easily after that. Drill small wholes in battery stand and screw new piece in with screws.

Fit couple of pieces of thin alluminum to make battery floor flat:

Last edited by Vlad; 05-03-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 AM
Vlad

Default Re: Re: DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

Next we use this

to make this

Essencialy it's just a two pieces of aluminum tube screwed together... It's easy just to show than to explain. Use stock top piece to measure the length and holes location.

This picture won't take any tropheys for best photography, but it show's how I attached two pieces together with 10-32 1 1/2 screws and cup nuts:

Here is whole piece assembled with stock poles:

Old 05-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Vlad

Default Re: Re: Re: DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.

The job is done, let's install this baby:

The small pole attaches to lower opening on the left ( there is two holes there and it goes into upper one for stock)

I used round socket on the longer poll since new top piece is too low for stock thread.

Now, put the plastic cover back!

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by Vlad; 05-03-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by jckolnturn
it's so small you could carry a second one in case that one dies but that would defeat the purpose right?
It won't die, if you don't act stupid. I saw a lot of positive comments from other sport cars application.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by drivesolo
Vlad, I like your thinking. This car needs to go on a crash diet. Don't you run in B-Stock though? Can you change your battery under SCCA rules? I can't recall.
Exactly. Nobody can recall I want lighter car for daily driving too. So let's assume my old battery dies, so I couldn't find anything bigger to replace it
Old 05-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Vlad

Guess I spoiled somebody's business... $235 is about 135, or 135% more than I paid for parts and battery...

http://www.ntechengineering.com/inde...12&model_id=10
Old 05-03-2004, 09:31 AM
n8vz

How about Optima batteries? Aren't they also lighter then stock? From the looks of the optima 6pack design, it looks like an easy fit in the stock battery compartment.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Vlad

Lightest 12V optima is 39lbs... heavier than stock. What the point?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:03 PM
boyze

I also like your approach. Have you thought about removing the spare wheel and going to a lighter weight exhaust? I see you went with 17" wheels - good choice for weight.

I have a couple of non-traditional weight reduction developments in the works that I'll bring to the forum when tested out.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:24 PM
trackstar

Vlad, I'm glad it worked out for you. Great writeup on the install. Did you ened up making the purchase from gotbatteries.com? If so, I assume the transaction went smoothly?

I'm so lazy I may have to ask you to make me a bracket
Old 05-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by boyze
I also like your approach. Have you thought about removing the spare wheel and going to a lighter weight exhaust? I see you went with 17" wheels - good choice for weight.

I have a couple of non-traditional weight reduction developments in the works that I'll bring to the forum when tested out.
I do empty the whole trunk, spare, tools when I'm racing. I need spare otherwise... to feel comfortable. Lightweight spare may be a way to go though... something in range 15-20 lbs instead of 40.

Ti exhaust is an obvious step... The only problem is to find $2K+ to buy it. I can't affort it right now.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by trackstar
Vlad, I'm glad it worked out for you. Great writeup on the install. Did you ened up making the purchase from gotbatteries.com? If so, I assume the transaction went smoothly?

I'm so lazy I may have to ask you to make me a bracket
Yes. gotbatteries is the way to go. Verrry fast transaction.
How much would you pay for a braket? I'm too lasy to do it for reasonable price...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by boyze

C'mon! Tell us about your developments!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:39 AM
trackstar

Originally posted by Vlad
Yes. gotbatteries is the way to go. Verrry fast transaction.
How much would you pay for a braket? I'm too lasy to do it for reasonable price...
C'mon bro! I hooked you up with the battery info! Who else replied to that thread?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:53 AM
Vlad

Look how much time I wasted creating this thread!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:25 AM
John

Good writeup Vlad... looks like a good project for me to engage in when I get my car back (whenever that is)...
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM
trackstar

Originally posted by Vlad
Look how much time I wasted creating this thread!
It's not wasted, think of it as your weekly contribution to the Z community...

Quick Reply: DIY: Dry-cell lightweight battery installation.