Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 05:31 PM
sammythebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)

All:

Here are some photos of my XM Radio Installation.

I have been debating for some time now weither or not to get Satellite Radio. After reading today's Atlanta Constitution I saw the brand new Delphi SkyFi unit (it just came out last week) and thought that was it!

I did not opt for the Navigation unit and thus had a bit of a void in the Center Console. The Delphi SkyFi until fits great... however a bit of a modification needs to be made.

I went to Circuit City on Cobb Parkway in Smyrna, GA. The Car Installation Manager, Jason, performed the work and said that he'd try to pass some savings onto any of us that mention (perhaps print) this post.

The total time took about 2.5 hours... but that is because Jason had not previously seen hands on a new 350z.

PLEASE NOTE... in order to mount the Delphi SkyFi in the center console a small hole needs to be cut into the center console... HOWEVER... all you need to do (if you ever sell your Z) is to place the mat for the center console back in (after removing the unit) and the new owner will never know there was a hole.

I'm not going to go into the benefits and details of the actual receiver, as you can get that from the XM website:
http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi/

However, I chose the unit because of it's modern look and amber glow (matching the 350z interior lighting) and because like the Sony Plug and Play, you can remove the unit and bring it inside (with optional home deck) to use at work or at home.

Overall a great buy!

I LOVE XM!

Any questions, please either post or send PM.

Thanx...
Old 10-13-2002, 05:39 PM
sammythebull

Default Photos...

Here is a picture of the XM Receiver (Delphi SkyFi) without docking station...
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-delphi-skyfi-unit.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:40 PM
sammythebull

Oh, FYI... antenna was placed on Black of Strut Bar behind Driver's Seat. Held down by Double Sided Tape. Signal is fine.

Let me know if you want pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-close-up-of-rear-of-center-console.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:41 PM
sammythebull

Here are more...
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-close-up-of-docking-station-install.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:43 PM
sammythebull

more
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-docking-station-installed.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:46 PM
sammythebull

and now for some finished photos...
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-finished-installation.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:47 PM
sammythebull

more...

Oh yeah.. right now XM has not started selling the FM Modulator (SA100003) for this unit--so I have have the tape option (what comes with the car installation kit. Since I don't own any tapes, it is not a big deal.

When the FM Modulator comes out (November) I will have it installed. Jason said he'd work something out.
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-finished-installation2.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 05:48 PM
sammythebull

more
Attached Thumbnails My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)-view-from-trunk-after-install.jpg  
Old 10-13-2002, 06:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

What a coincidence, I just saw the delphi unit myself in the paper and I want it, it is much more reasonably priced than the Sony which I had decided not to get but the price of the Delphi has got me interested again in satellite radio. Thanks for the pics I was wandering if it would fit in the storage space.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:05 PM
kyle jones

Sam,

I'm curious. What is the reception like with XM Radio?

Does it tend to work best (or only) in metropolitan areas, or will it also work in rural america? I'm assuming that since it uses a satellite feed that it should work just about anywhere in the USA.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 10-13-2002, 07:16 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont like the placement but i guess it works since you have such a limited amount of space to work with.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Sammy. Is that the unit you can remove and use in your home as well? I didn't plan on doing that so I just got the small Pioneer unit that stays in the car at all times. You can see my install in the other "My XM Satellite Radio Install" thread.

I like the amber lights that match. Mine has blueish lights and has the FM modulator already. No noticable loss of quality.

Kyle, XM is awesome. It is chrystal clear and would actually sound better in rural america as opposed to a big city. In the city tall buildings can be troublesome. They get around that however by installing "repeaters" all over to bounce the signal around.

One thing I noticed that I can't explain. If I pull up under an overhang to get gas or pull up close to a bunch of trees with leaves, I'll get a signal drop out. BUT, if I pull into my garage and CLOSE THE DOORS I can still pick it up perfectly! There are windows in the garage but the antenna doesn't seem to have a clear view of them. I'm not sure how that happens???
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
kyle jones

Bonz,

Thanks for the info. Car won't be here for a couple of more months, but I'll definitely be adding XM once it arrives.

Kyle
Old 10-13-2002, 07:30 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

I saw an ad for that unit in Sound and Vision and was just going to look up info on it and I saw your post. I have the Nav. Any idea where else I could install it? Can you post dimensions of the unit?

I think I'll wait until the FM modulator and the Bose fix are available before I get one.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:05 AM
sammythebull

I belive the XM Radio website had the dimensions.

The sound quality is great.

I've only had it half a day, but I too noticed a little loss of signal (for a second) while driving through heavy tree coverage/overhang.

However... well worth it for the variety alone.

As far as the placement...

Since this unit is quite large (about 2
" x 4") the only other place that I would recommend would be to somehow mount in the dash cup holder. I guess you could make some sort of holder.

I opted for the center console since I did not have the Navi unit and when I close the Navi door you can't even see the unit.

The only thing visible, again temporarily, is the tape ... but the installer dropped the cord for it along the side of the the center console's frame so it isn't that visible.

Another reason that I like this unit is because of the large screen display and the ability to preview what is playing on other channels (either by artist or song title) without changing stations.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:01 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default nice fit!

Originally posted by sammythebull
more...

Oh yeah.. right now XM has not started selling the FM Modulator (SA100003) for this unit--so I have have the tape option (what comes with the car installation kit. Since I don't own any tapes, it is not a big deal.

When the FM Modulator comes out (November) I will have it installed. Jason said he'd work something out.
Nice looking fit! Is it snug? Did the installer put some bracket or something to hold it?

Looks like a great use for that nav hole.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:04 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
One thing I noticed that I can't explain. If I pull up under an overhang to get gas or pull up close to a bunch of trees with leaves, I'll get a signal drop out. BUT, if I pull into my garage and CLOSE THE DOORS I can still pick it up perfectly! There are windows in the garage but the antenna doesn't seem to have a clear view of them. I'm not sure how that happens???
Maybe steel+concrete vs wood? Your garage door may also have a good view of the correct attitude towards the birds hence why it does better. Just speculation..
Old 10-14-2002, 06:41 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Originally posted by sammythebull
I belive the XM Radio website had the dimensions.
The website only has the dimensions on the receiver. Would you mind checking the dimensions of the cradle? If not, I'll head over to Circuit City and check.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:40 AM
sammythebull

The cradle does not fit into the Navigation Console... hence the need to cut a hole into the bottom.

The acutal cradle is not very thick (if I would have to get I'd say less than 1/8").

There is a mounting bracket that comes with the unit (basically a sticky with a ball and socket like mount. The installation manager and I basically took off the ball part and just used the socket (this gives the cradle (again because it is thin) a good sturdy feel and re-enforcement.

The screen is big and the clarity is great.

In fact, I'm listening to it (thanks to the home docking cradle) while at work (with no window view, the antenna is picking up full strength)

Let me know if you all want more pictures
Old 10-14-2002, 12:55 PM
glowacki

Wink

Very cool...was wondering if you utilized the existing speaker system or if you replaced all of that as well? Does the Bose stereo work as well?

Quick Reply: My XM Radio Installation (Delphi SkyFi)