Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

350z VS. 370z (photo comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Ven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
Thats the height from the top of the roofline. Nothing to do with how low it sits to ground.
Um, that's called ground clearance which has nothing to do with overall height. The fact of the matter is, overall height, the 370z is slightly lower no matter what you "think" or "feel" the pictures look like. The hood is higher (safety regulations) and the beltline is higher on the 370z. But this gives it a nice squashed/more agressive look since the windows are smaller. Not to mention the overall shape signifies this even more with the long hood short deck ala all previous Zs except the 350z, where with that model the interior canopy seemed to sit more in the middle of the car.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 AM
jerry_2612

OP- A Daytona Blue HR was what I wanted but had to settle for black... very jealous, nice ride!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
TX-350Z-TX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerry_2612
OP- A Daytona Blue HR was what I wanted but had to settle for black... very jealous, nice ride!

thanks! my other car is black, just too damn hard to keep clean.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Kiriller

i decided to sleep and see how it looks in the morning, because usually after sleeping people change their minds, but still 350 looks sexy as ****
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
choi88

I think the 370z is a sexy car.. but looks wise I prefer the clean look of the 350z..
I love how they brought back the Datsun 240z look in the 370z though... wicked... i'm sure the 370z will grow on us all a bit more when we start seeing them around..
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
sandthepilot

The salesman at the dealership I went to thought my 350 was a 370 when I pulled up. That proves that they don't look much different unless you really took notice of the features. Anyone who doesn't know what a Z car is won't know the difference. I still have people asking me what kind of car I'm driving, or oh hey nice Porsche!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Kiriller
and last picture, enjoy

i have adjusted the cars as close as possible to there is no camera magic or difference in picture prospectives, enjoy and keep it civil once again thanks to the thread starter for the pics

So what we have here is a new z based on the new, LARGER FM platform. In order to make it "shorter overall" (meaning the top of the roof is shorter), they reduced the size of the "greenhouse" part of the car (where the glass is). The rest of the 370 is much taller. The hood is higher, the bottoms of the a-pillars/windshield area is higher, the bottoms of the mirrors are higher. The crease of the 370 front fenders is much higher than the 350. The tops of the 370 headlights are much higher. Standing next to both cars (which I have done multiple times, the 370 seems much taller and more upright.

The signature, sleek, low hoodline of the z is just gone - that's what many don't like. The took the larger platform and tried as best they could to wrap the sheet metal more tightly around the platform, but there are places where they can't do anything - like the bottom of the windshield and the hood height.

The effect is further exacerbated by the front and rear bumpers sticking out past the wheels more than the 350 so they had to raise the body panels in these areas to give more angle of attack for adequate clearance for curbs, driveways, etc.

I think the 370 rear looks much better. I never liked the rear end of the 350. I just put up with it because I liked how the car drove. That's what it's all about to me. I am sure I will like how the 370 drives even more than the 350, but I don't hink I can get over the ugly multi-function gauge monstrosity.

The higher hood is noticeable from the driver's seat of the 370 as well. the 350z hood would look even lower it it were an 03-06 model without the hood hump.

Viewing both cars from the front, the 350 appears to be lower and wider. Whose gonna run and graba tape measure and explain to onlookers that while the 370 looks higher and more narrow than the 350, it is technically not the case. Haha.

BTW, Daytone Blue FTMFW! Your 350 looks hawt.

Monterey Blue = Teh fial

IMO
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
sweet_350z

Default 350z!

I prefer the 350z. I don't like the head light and tail light lines on the 370.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
TerraNova3

370z looks kinda toyish. But I like the rear end of it.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
So what we have here is a new z based on the new, LARGER FM platform. In order to make it "shorter overall" (meaning the top of the roof is shorter), they reduced the size of the "greenhouse" part of the car (where the glass is). The rest of the 370 is much taller. The hood is higher, the bottoms of the a-pillars/windshield area is higher, the bottoms of the mirrors are higher. The crease of the 370 front fenders is much higher than the 350. The tops of the 370 headlights are much higher. Standing next to both cars (which I have done multiple times, the 370 seems much taller and more upright.

The signature, sleek, low hoodline of the z is just gone - that's what many don't like. The took the larger platform and tried as best they could to wrap the sheet metal more tightly around the platform, but there are places where they can't do anything - like the bottom of the windshield and the hood height.

The effect is further exacerbated by the front and rear bumpers sticking out past the wheels more than the 350 so they had to raise the body panels in these areas to give more angle of attack for adequate clearance for curbs, driveways, etc.

I think the 370 rear looks much better. I never liked the rear end of the 350. I just put up with it because I liked how the car drove. That's what it's all about to me. I am sure I will like how the 370 drives even more than the 350, but I don't hink I can get over the ugly multi-function gauge monstrosity.

The higher hood is noticeable from the driver's seat of the 370 as well. the 350z hood would look even lower it it were an 03-06 model without the hood hump.

Viewing both cars from the front, the 350 appears to be lower and wider. Whose gonna run and graba tape measure and explain to onlookers that while the 370 looks higher and more narrow than the 350, it is technically not the case. Haha.

BTW, Daytone Blue FTMFW! Your 350 looks hawt.

Monterey Blue = Teh fial

IMO
Thanks for the critique. I could have sat here and written one just as long detailing how the 370Z looks much better and actually looks more like a "Z" (like most are saying) than the outgoing model. But why would I? Ultimately, most like it. Nissan is in the business to be profitable, not go bankrupt trying to listen to every single persons opinion.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by sweet_350z
I prefer the 350z. I don't like the head light and tail light lines on the 370.
You are in luck cause there will be a whole lot of used 350Z for sale at a reduced cost once the 370Z is out in full force.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by newtkindred
Thanks for the critique. I could have sat here and written one just as long detailing how the 370Z looks much better and actually looks more like a "Z" (like most are saying) than the outgoing model.
I'll critique as I see fit. You know, this is predominantly a z33 board. There are other z34 boards if you are tired of hearing what z33 owners think about the z34. I am on the z34 board as well. It's great and much less 350z vs 370z BS.

BTW, That's the strangest thing I've heard in a while.... "Looks more like a z than the outgoing model" Um, it has ONE or TWO 240z design cues. Why does that make it more like a z? More like a 240z sure. Most people are saying it because Nissan marketing started that conversation and the media picked it up and printed or reported it so yes, people are saying it - most people say what they are told to say. I'll form my own opinion, thanks.

But why would I? Ultimately, most like it.
I also like it. Actually, I really like it, minus a few quirky styling cueues, If I did not have a 350 already, I'd but this. Not sure why you feel like you need to defend it. Maybe I am just reading too much into your post.

Nissan is in the business to be profitable, not go bankrupt trying to listen to every single persons opinion.
They are both awesome cars. The 370 performs better than the 350, but it's not enough of a performance increase for me over my 07 to make a trade. If nissan offered a TT or V8 from the factory, I'll spend my $$ on that Z, even with the increased cost. But I don't think they can do that and keep the weight balance in check. Too bad.

If Nissan built this car from the ground up, they would have done things differently, but they built from the platform up so there's only so much they can do with the current z.

I thought you didn't like the 370 headlights anyway. Then it was the best looking z since the 240. I don't care for the 350 headlights nor the 370 headlights.

Retro is definitely in style these days. But I am not sure if people are being nostalgic or if there's a lack of originality out there. Or those of us that idolized muscle cars back in the day, but could not afford one can afford once now. I think the retro thing is getting played out.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler started the retro-style auto trend and I am not sure why other auto manufaturers are following that trend.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 350Z is the best of the two looks wise in the picture. Nicer blue, style, and the 370Z doesn't even look near as much like the Z as the 350Z. I agree with Hiz-N-herz. An excellent critique.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
newtkindred

BTW, That's the strangest thing I've heard in a while.... "Looks more like a z than the outgoing model" Um, it has ONE or TWO 240z design cues. Why does that make it more like a z? More like a 240z sure. Most people are saying it because Nissan marketing started that conversation and the media picked it up and printed or reported it so yes, people are saying it - most people say what they are told to say. I'll form my own opinion, thanks.

I had two 240Z's, my brother one and my father had one. I see 240Z all over the new 370Z. That is what I see and I don't think I need to sit here and explain why I see that. That is why I get excited about this car. I have always wanted Nissan to bring back some the original lines of the Z.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 PM
newtkindred

I thought you didn't like the 370 headlights anyway. Then it was the best looking z since the 240. I don't care for the 350 headlights nor the 370 headlights.

Oh, I forgot to add. I think I explained in my previous posts that I was one of the ones who DID not like the 370Z when seeing it in the photos initially. But after seeing it in the German video I began to change. Then I saw it in person and I was like "ok, now this is what I am talkin about!, a real Z".
Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
newtkindred

I'll critique as I see fit. You know, this is predominantly a z33 board. There are other z34 boards if you are tired of hearing what z33 owners think about the z34. I am on the z34 board as well. It's great and much less 350z vs 370z BS.
Yep, that's right. We can all critique this car over and over again. But everyone has a different opinion. Everyone. My point was Nissan would go bankrupt if they tried to please everyone. What they did was strike a nice balance. It looks enough like a 350Z and also brought back some of the original lines of the 240Z. The end result is A LOT of people like this car. We can argue this fact that most people think this a a very good looking car all day. But just reading the reviews and listening to people this car is a success for Nissan.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
The 350Z is the best of the two looks wise in the picture. Nicer blue, style, and the 370Z doesn't even look near as much like the Z as the 350Z. I agree with Hiz-N-herz. An excellent critique.
The thing I do not understand about this forum is people think their "opinion" is fact. Saying "is" is stating a fact. So when you say the 350Z "is" the best of the two, that is stating a fact, which is NOT true. It is only opinion. It would make more sense if you said, "I think" the 350Z is the best. Just saying this because it seems people here can't seem to understand it is a matter of opinion and every ones opinion on this forum has equal value.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe_A_Z

I really don't know which I would go with, at my dealer they have every color lined up together! I just couldn't decide. I would probably still go with an HR 350z. The new one isn't growing on me too well... to me the 350z totally look older since the new one looks futuristic.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Maybe_A_Z
I really don't know which I would go with, at my dealer they have every color lined up together! I just couldn't decide. I would probably still go with an HR 350z. The new one isn't growing on me too well... to me the 350z totally look older since the new one looks futuristic.
If you have not bought yet, go with the 370 unless you are looking for a really good deal on an 07 or 08. This car is about handling and the 370 is way better in that respect. I think the shorter gearing is a good call as well. the 350z gearing is really way too tall. Why do I need to go 74 in 2nd gear? I'd rather have shorter gearing for better acceleration.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
hiz-n-herz

Oh, I forgot to add. I think I explained in my previous posts that I was one of the ones who DID not like the 370Z when seeing it in the photos initially. But after seeing it in the German video I began to change. Then I saw it in person and I was like "ok, now this is what I am talkin about!, a real Z".
I think we agree on the issues here - we both like the car. I'm glad you are excited about it. But when you say "...a real Z" and refer to the 370, that can be interperated as an insult to other z owners. Buy that 370 and bring it down to the south bay for a fun run - euro Sunday or ZONC run. I'd love to see one on the road.

Quick Reply: 350z VS. 370z (photo comparison)