Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

when is the 380Z coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to admit it, but ^^ is very plausible. Nissan doesn't have to come out with a new Z anytime soon, they just have to do it right whenever they actually do.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to a Nissan representative when I was receiving my Nismo certificate and I asked him about the next Z. He told me that the new Z will be coming in the later years. Then I asked him if it was possible that the new Z might be turboed. He didn't disclose that information to me due to company policy, but he hinted that it was possible. :thumb up: Who knows though, nothing is set in stone.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Dragonbreath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We wont really know until the big boys at Nissan tell us something. I mean there hasnt been any new concepts coming out of Nissan that shows a new Z and there hasnt been any mules out testing. The likelihood of a new Z coming out in a couple of years is slim.

370z sales have been horrible. There is a reason there arent many 370's out at the dealers. A friend of mine works at a Nissan dealer and he said that the dealers dont want them. No one buys them because for the price there are faster cars. To the average consumer why buy a 370 for around 35k when you can get a faster Mustang for the same price?

Whatever Nissan has planned for the next generation Z I hope its good. Other companies have stepped up and Nissan is in danger of being left behind with the current Z.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by BigPurp
Because my whole point was to state that being older makes you better? Learn to read, for someone with 13,000 posts it seems....well it actually makes sense. You obviously don't get out...at all. I could be any age. You dumb scrubs are still acting like kids either way. YOU FAIL, not me, now go drive your car instead of sitting your fat **** on a forum all day every day.
DUDE....why the hostility!!!??? As mentioned you are posting on a forum dedicated to the 350Z, and you are surprised to see the reaction to your inflammatory comments!!??? As a new member of our community it would be good to let people become familiar with you through your posts before making statements that could easily be misconstrued.

It is possible you are being taken out of context, but how would any of us know since you have no established track record. I am glad you are proud of your 370Z, but if you have to build yourself up by demeaning 350Z owners that is not going to work here. Many of us myself included have a love for the Z no matter what year model. My suggestion is to build a relationship with the community so that you can join the fun!!

BTW: I like many here are running forced induction; so no matter how nice you ride looks all you'll ever see of my car is taillights...far in front!!

Last edited by xzotklr; 01-25-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add text
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamu Z
Proof is in fact they have pretty much cut all 370Z promotions at auto shows, trade publications, etc, no real rumblings of a new model or even a new motor when everyone is going to direct injection or smaller turbo 4's. The car as it sits wont stand up to new fuel standards around the world. The New Porsche Boxster has technoloogy that boosts cars MPG over 30 MPG and they have reduced displacement to 2.7 liters from 2.9. Even new 911s have gone down to 3.4 liter motor. Mazda is gearing up for a 1.3 liter tubo Miata in 2014! New Toyota FT86 with fuel effecient 2.0 liter is hitting streets this year. Honda reving up to intoduce Hybrid NSX, Even new Vette is cutting displacement of its V8 from 6.2 to 5.5 liters and rumors of a direct injected twin turbo v6! Renualt and Nissan cant afford to have a sports car so out of step with other sports cars. This car will fade out and something radical will replace it. I'd put money on next Z like car not having a 6 cylinder motor.

370Z sales lately are terrible. Remember they stopped building Z's for a while in past. When FT86 hits streets sales of Z's will plummet this next year. I think 370 Z is phased out 2014 and no Z replacement until 2016. Even Godzilla GTR is in danger based on what I see happening in the industry with all the new global regulations on fuel consumption but less so than 370Z which has to sell some volumes to be profitable for Nissan.

With new Renualt platform sharing strategy its not going to be profitable to make a seperate Z car that cant use engine parts from its core lines. So they will either use Mercedes motors or I'm betting a turbo 4 or Hybrid that isnt anything like Z's of past generations.
Those are very solid points and can't argue any of them but... with the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger still in the picture the Z will either get a little more power or the Z will end up being on the smaller 2 door concepts that have been floating around as of late. Nissan is still selling a lot of cars and though the 370 isn't selling that great... they still need a sports car to stay in the game. Think about it... Toyota waited forever to introduce a sports car will Nissan always had one(Minus the vacancy left by the 240sx after 1997 and the Z showing up in 2003). What sense would it make to not make a sports car now?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as Nissan keeps the weight in check and give the next Z a substantial bump in power (at least 30 more would be realistic IMO), it should be competitive to the similarly priced, though more powerful domestics.

If Nissan can produce a Z that's sexier than the 370Z, weigh less than 3300 lbs, and have close to 400 hp, then my next car will definitley be another Z. If not, I'll probably switch to a BMW or perhaps a used Porsche.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I'm still thinking Hybird 400zh - 400HP & 400lbs torque. ;-)

It will have to achieve at least 40mpg... I'd like to see 50mpg though.

We'll see....
Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragonbreath

370z sales have been horrible. There is a reason there arent many 370's out at the dealers.
Agree.

The 370Z may be break-even for Nissan or a loss leader. But does the 370Z get people into the showroom? If you visit the showroom to look at the 370Z, but instead take home a Altima, what does the dealer care? The 370Z may be a smart $35,000 marketing tool.

Last edited by davidv; 01-26-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by go7roo7
I tap 8 mana and bring out:
You get one point mana burn, because that card clearly only calls for 7 mana.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Fluid1

The Z should either move to a efficient and powerful V-8, or a similar power plant to the GT-R.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
The Z should either move to a efficient and powerful V-8, or a similar power plant to the GT-R.
why would they put an engine in the next Z that is similar to the GT-R? then that would kill off all GT-R sales. shoot if they ever did that, wouldn't you buy the next Z for $40k less and have a similar engine? sure it wouldn't be awd
Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Skorch

I hope they take their sweet time with the next-gen Z so I have time to pay off my 370 before I get the new one
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
sfearl1

^^ lol same here.

did you see this?

Confirmed: 370Z being refreshed for 2013
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
07_350z_JP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nismo_nate
why would they put an engine in the next Z that is similar to the GT-R? then that would kill off all GT-R sales. shoot if they ever did that, wouldn't you buy the next Z for $40k less and have a similar engine? sure it wouldn't be awd
doesnt work that way --- see camaro vs corvette and 135 vs 335 and cayman vs carrerra ..list goes on and on

even an autistic monkey knows a 38r powered 370z would not be in the same league as a gtr same --- cayman/carrerra is close though but it still works for them
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Shamu Z

I think Nissan was caught by surpise with all changes in sports car market. They have two big fuel hogs. Everyone is reducing displacement.

Look at latest on Ford Mustang. Smaller lighter with 4 cylinder turbo base and v6 Twin Turbo GT. Independent

http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...boost-mustang/

New smaller Dodge Barracuda replacing Challanger

http://www.challengerblogger.com/tag/2014-barracuda/

Smaller Camaro

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-platform.html

I think Nissan was caught by surprise and is behind in development. The GTR can probably hang out in the breeze for a little longer but Z has to be completely redesigned. They wont throw out an iteration of the car. NNissan got distracted by parent companies love affair with Mercedes. I bet we see Z disapear for a while. Only to return as something weird and not like 350 or 370.

Look at GTR to morph into NSX competitor. And Z maybe to shrink into FT 86 like car. I'd love to see a turbo 4 Z.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
supblkz

I think nissan should start over with the number system! Meaning go back to the 240z with the same style, size and smaller motor. Come up with a mix of KA for the displacement and SR for the turbo and valve control.(KR24det) Keep the car price down and and around 300 hp! The Z main weapon is the cost, but now the cost is going up its starting to be not worth the money. Due to other cars for the same price with more power. I personally would love to have a 240z unchanged with a newer interior and no metal bumpers that are showing. But thats just my opinion!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thead is useless... there was some hints on the new Z in the very first page then it went off on a V8 tangent...

1. Z has only had one cylinder #layout, 6, either straight or V even the 4-3-2 S30 with an S20 was straight 6
2. new Z was already soon to be developed until economy took a real dump and toyota unleashed it's FT-eight crap (redesign)
3. nissan killed the "FR" design in 2007, so instead now the Z is coming down in price to compete (another redesign)
4. Juke is a good hint on what the new Z is going to have under the hood for power (not a 4 cylinder) and not AWD
5. alot of eggs were put in the Leaf basket slowing down bringing concepts to the table... alot of cars are getting updated in the next 18mo. it is going to be an exciting model line!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Shamu Z

Originally Posted by johnwigs
this thead is useless... there was some hints on the new Z in the very first page then it went off on a V8 tangent...

1. Z has only had one cylinder #layout, 6, either straight or V even the 4-3-2 S30 with an S20 was straight 6
2. new Z was already soon to be developed until economy took a real dump and toyota unleashed it's FT-eight crap (redesign)
3. nissan killed the "FR" design in 2007, so instead now the Z is coming down in price to compete (another redesign)
4. Juke is a good hint on what the new Z is going to have under the hood for power (not a 4 cylinder) and not AWD
5. alot of eggs were put in the Leaf basket slowing down bringing concepts to the table... alot of cars are getting updated in the next 18mo. it is going to be an exciting model line!!!
18 months is like now. We would have seen something in way of a realistic preproduction concept if they had a new line up. To me looks like Nissans parent company renault has really distracted them. Aside from the leaf they dont have anything exciting in works aside from perhaps a Mercedes derived Infiniti. Suspect they will put all focus on infiniti line and Leaf while they figure out what they do with rest of their lines. Its pitiful when Juke is only car they have to inspire younger drivers? Really a CVT turbo in a Z? Ack! Juke R is hilarious attempt to make Juke look cool.

It makes no sense to lower current z pricing. In fact at numbers they have raising price and making special models would be better business decision for a car made in high cost market like Japan at very low volumes they currently have.

Hyundai is smashing the low end of Nissan model lines with Veloster. When 200 hp turbo veloster comes out they will cut even furhter. Into Nissan compact lines. Toyota and Mazda are going to hit them in sports cars. They still have a chance with Infinti being lower priced luxury cars. And Leaf probably is going to do OK.

Its sort of disappointing to see Nissan lose their way. Rather than lead the pack they seem to be following with some pretty boring cars or just extending very boring line up until renualt and mercedes figure out what they will do.

I grew up with the 510 and 240 Z, then innovative 300 ZX, 240 SX and Sentra SER, then nothing, Sentras got too big, no 240sx replacement, no Z then an OK attempt with 350Z and then 370 Z which was still a little late to the party. GTR was stroke of brilliance but even that car is quickly becoming outdated. Nissan seems to be 2 to 3 years behind rather than leading the pack like they used to do. The Leaf is a real gamble. I'm not sure how all electric cars will fair in long term. I think French leadership has bogged Nissan down with all this partnership talk with Mercedes. Really wish they could be freed from Renault.

I put any new sports car from Nissan at least 4 years out. They can just do a quick platform update like they did with 370Z. They are likely going to do complete redesign or need to wait to see what mercedes will be giving them and then design a sports car from that new platform.

I bet some at Nissan in Japan are very frustrated because if we see this from the outside they definitely realize this from inside Nissan. A big part of being successful if getting people excited about new model line up. You need to start this years before they hit the streets. Look at Honda and NSX. They are taking out this ad for super bowl. http://youtu.be/WUFSHzT2xuY

Im not much of a Honda fan but have to hand it to them they have a pretty sweet sports car ready for 2014.

I really hope Nissan suprises me but I suspect they wont. They even flubbed the 370Z Nismo RC by making it too expensive. Not seeing many teams put that car to work?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM
twoxi_00

Default mod

if you're tired of the looks just change it with mods!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM
scrapser

I think the next Z will definitely be a completely new car. So much has changed in the auto industry in the past 5 years that an incremental release would probably fall flat. Look at what was done for the 2013 370Z...it's basically a cheap cosmetic facelift and nothing else. Nissan is likely putting their R&D money into a totally new car. Let's hope it's as impressive as the 350 was when it was first released.

I also wonder if that animated car they show in their TV ad isn't a hint at what's to come.

Quick Reply: when is the 380Z coming?