Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z vs Mustang GT

Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

love the new front.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

The Mustang isn't a sports car though... the Z is. I love my 350z and wish the 370 didn't look like it does. I test drove a GT500(not a GT) and it kinda scared the **** out of me. Either way welcome back.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

you can get as technical as you want with the car categories - they are still very similar and cross shopped.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Entaille
you can get as technical as you want with the car categories - they are still very similar and cross shopped.
Solid Axle, Room for 5 and top model maxing out in the $60's... maybe a couple models are comparable but in reality there no where near the same in anything. A Vette and a Z have more in common pricing aside. I'm not hating BTW as I love Mustangs but the caparison sounds like something that was written in a Car & Driver more than real life.

Last edited by Flo-ridaZ33; 07-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Entaille

you mention one of your points as the higher tier models going into the 60s, then go on to talk about vettes being close, aside from pricing? the only mustangs that aren't really comparable / cross shopped with the Z are special models, and people wouldn't really be cross shopping the Z with them (boss/boss ls, shelbys, roush, saleen etc)

many people cross shop mustangs and 370z's. I fail to see how the rear suspension setup would make them non comparable, please enlighten me.

they are both performance based coupes. don't let the backseat fool you, full sized adults are not fitting back there comfortably, and they can't seat 5. in all actuality it's a two seater with a bit more utility than the Z. you can toss something behind your seat for storage, or you can carry a third / 4th person in a pinch, but they aren't going to be happy.

the price points, performance benchmarks, and type of car (performance oriented coupe), make them competitors and people cross shop them. I did, and I know a handful of others who did the same. It boiled down to a used c6, a nismo 370z and an optioned mustang GT for me - and I know others who've cross shopped them as well.

iirc - v6 mustangs start around 21 and go up to about 32k depending on options. GT's start at 30 and go up to about 40k depending on options. if people are looking at special models like boss, shelby, roush etc.. they are no longer cross shopping the Z. price points irrelevant, the v6 and GT's are their bread and butter sales and they are comparables.

I'm not stating they are identical, but their core values are very similar and once people have narrowed down what they want (RWD, performance focused, 300+ hp, coupe), both cars are on their list unless they are close minded/have a brand preference.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

you mention one of your points as the higher tier models going into the 60s, then go on to talk about vettes being close, aside from pricing? the only mustangs that aren't really comparable / cross shopped with the Z are special models, and people wouldn't really be cross shopping the Z with them (boss/boss ls, shelbys, roush, saleen etc)

many people cross shop mustangs and 370z's. I fail to see how the rear suspension setup would make them non comparable, please enlighten me.

they are both performance based coupes. don't let the backseat fool you, full sized adults are not fitting back there comfortably, and they can't seat 5. in all actuality it's a two seater with a bit more utility than the Z. you can toss something behind your seat for storage, or you can carry a third / 4th person in a pinch, but they aren't going to be happy.

the price points, performance benchmarks, and type of car (performance oriented coupe), make them competitors and people cross shop them. I did, and I know a handful of others who did the same. It boiled down to a used c6, a nismo 370z and an optioned mustang GT for me - and I know others who've cross shopped them as well.

iirc - v6 mustangs start around 21 and go up to about 32k depending on options. GT's start at 30 and go up to about 40k depending on options. if people are looking at special models like boss, shelby, roush etc.. they are no longer cross shopping the Z. price points irrelevant, the v6 and GT's are their bread and butter sales and they are comparables.

I'm not stating they are identical, but their core values are very similar and once people have narrowed down what they want (RWD, performance focused, 300+ hp, coupe), both cars are on their list unless they are close minded/have a brand preference.
You made all good points... but they cross shop more on price than anything else.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
radioflyer350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Solid Axle, Room for 5 and top model maxing out in the $60's... maybe a couple models are comparable but in reality there no where near the same in anything. A Vette and a Z have more in common pricing aside. I'm not hating BTW as I love Mustangs but the caparison sounds like something that was written in a Car & Driver more than real life.
I think I'll take that as a compliment, but I did infact have a gt and I do now on a 370. I think the comparison comes from the 300 being so competitive. In 1996 I remember reading an article comparing the best sports cars out at that time. They had the corvette, 300zx tt, supra, mustang and Nsx. They were all competition at the time... All around 300 hp. Well do to evolution all the others have gotten caught up the horsepower race. The mustang was the only one that was somewhat competition and affordable. Now the z seems to be in a class of its own literally. I loved the 300, 350, and now the 370.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by JERZ350
Yes, I really like with Ford did with the new 5.0 powerplant, but.......no matter how fast they make them...i can't stop thinking in my head, it's still another mustang whooptdy do. Only because I see about at least 10 a day.
I see Zs all the time now.. I hate it.. i see them almost as much as mustangs, no exaggeration.. my dad has a grabber blue '11 5.0... It's extremely sick, I love EVERYTHING about it, especially the interior. Makes me really consider getting an 05-09 generation gt
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 AM
xslangx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gozirra
I see Zs all the time now.. I hate it.. i see them almost as much as mustangs, no exaggeration.. my dad has a grabber blue '11 5.0... It's extremely sick, I love EVERYTHING about it, especially the interior. Makes me really consider getting an 05-09 generation gt

LOL 05-09 GT's are slow as dog ****....

Get a revised 5.0 and don't look back, yes they are fast.

Pros:

Fast.

Cons:

Mustang.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by xslangx
LOL 05-09 GT's are slow as dog ****....

Get a revised 5.0 and don't look back, yes they are fast.

Pros:

Fast.

Cons:

Mustang.
Well I cant afford a 5.0 -> Matter of fact I cant afford anything new. Thats why Im just saving. I'll probably go with a new WRX in a year or so. I love the Z but its got a lot of miles and stuff keeps breaking.

And 05-09 GTs are not slow. Little bit of work and it goes. Relatively easy to boost. Decent mod response. And I love the interior. Clean and simple.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im suprised some would say the new 5.0 doesn't handle well, i think it was either motor trend or car and driver that tested the new stang against the v8 m3 and it did quite well in the handling dept. I don't think i would ever get a mustang but i def give the car its deserved props.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also give the new mustang props for going toe to toe vs the m3 e92, but at the end of the day you will find me in a Z, I can't explain it but the feel is outstanding, and honestly a stock Z isn't light years behind the new 5.0, watch a few youtube videos of bone stock 370 sport vs 5.0 w/ brembos, it's a pretty close drive, mustang pulls away a little on the straights but that's about it, at no point is it a "complete destruction"

I care to disagree with the civic - corvette analogy. (The Z is not a civic and the mustang is not a corvette!!!) the performance gap is much closer.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Entaille

honestly I feel like the Z is a better driver's car too. the mustang is larger and heavier and higher up, it doesn't 'feel' as sporty, but it can hang with it in the handling department.

one thing to keep in mind - with a simple intake and tune, my 5.0 is making 400 whp. if additional power is something you'll be after, it's hard to extract more out of the Z. how much power do you really need on the street though? we're talking about being able to slowly pull away from the Z. both are plenty quick and faster than most cars on the road.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Gozirra

honestly I feel like the Z is a better driver's car too. the mustang is larger and heavier and higher up, it doesn't 'feel' as sporty, but it can hang with it in the handling department.

one thing to keep in mind - with a simple intake and tune, my 5.0 is making 400 whp. if additional power is something you'll be after, it's hard to extract more out of the Z. how much power do you really need on the street though? we're talking about being able to slowly pull away from the Z. both are plenty quick and faster than most cars on the road.
I feel the same way, after driving my friends' cars that are supposedly 'better', I still love my z. But its falling apart... too many miles. I wish I could afford a 370.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was never really a fan until I bought one and let me tell you, the new 5.0's are whole lot of fun. I just threw new wheels on and alleviated some of the monster truck gap with springs. My car is a 2013 GT premium and the recaro leather seats I had added are fking awesome. I wish there wasn't so many mustangs on the road (damn v6's are everywhere) but it is what it is. I'm past the point of caring what other people think and just wanted a decently priced sports car and I got it. However, I think the 370z is a kickass car as well but the the design and lack of a backseat (can't wait until my kid is old enough so I can get him his own recaro babyseat, LULZ) were deal breakers for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Historically i've hated on mustangs but the 302 and above all worthy...... Bout time..
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM
RedlineHR

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ashram
im suprised some would say the new 5.0 doesn't handle well, i think it was either motor trend or car and driver that tested the new stang against the v8 m3 and it did quite well in the handling dept. I don't think i would ever get a mustang but i def give the car its deserved props.
This is true. I have that issue, but I believe that comparison was on the track. I think real world handling would be a different story. A corner with bumps really turns the mustang into a no-go. I review cars as a hobby and I tested a 4.6 GT with manual transmission. It did not have the wheel upgrades. It was just miserable. I took it on a bumpy back-road and was really sorry I did. I thought I'd have at least a little fun with it, but I almost wet myself within the first few corners and had to resort to driving like Grandma the rest of the way.

I will say that the acceleration was effortless and the induction noise from that V8 is the sexiest car sound I've ever heard.

I'd love to test a 5.0. Maybe they've addressed some of the suspension issues. Nothing you can do about that live axle though. Otherwise, awesome car for sure.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by ashram
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Entaille

Originally Posted by RedlineHR
This is true. I have that issue, but I believe that comparison was on the track. I think real world handling would be a different story. A corner with bumps really turns the mustang into a no-go. I review cars as a hobby and I tested a 4.6 GT with manual transmission. It did not have the wheel upgrades. It was just miserable. I took it on a bumpy back-road and was really sorry I did. I thought I'd have at least a little fun with it, but I almost wet myself within the first few corners and had to resort to driving like Grandma the rest of the way.

I will say that the acceleration was effortless and the induction noise from that V8 is the sexiest car sound I've ever heard.

I'd love to test a 5.0. Maybe they've addressed some of the suspension issues. Nothing you can do about that live axle though. Otherwise, awesome car for sure.
will you notice the difference between an IRS and a live axle with bumps? of course. it is not as luxurious or refined, the entire rear absorbs the hit and you can feel it. I was concerned about it before I got the car too, but it's just more road feedback to me now. it is not a deal breaker or nearly as dramatic as you make it sound. it 'feels' different and it sounds like it shook your confidence, and I've been there before .. once you lose confidence in a car it is hard to enjoy/push hard.

between the performance based cars that I've had (350z, wrx, camaro, mustang), it inspires the most confidence I've had with a car in the corners. it has very neutral handling from the factory, no real understeer, grips amazingly well and provides superb feedback (steering wheel/rear wheels). the car is very predictable and easy to drive hard. I drive around with my evo pals that are running similar horse power with less weight (and of course, awd), and they cannot shake me in the twisties. I'm talking real world too, not track.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Didn't Ford completely redo the Mustang suspension recently?

I know the suspension that underpinned the really old Fox body was really ancient.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 370z vs Mustang GT