Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z vs Mustang GT

Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 AM
radioflyer350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370z vs Mustang GT

Whats up Guys... its been a while since my last post so ill give a little background. I owned a 2003 350Z (lowered with HR on TE37s, Vortech Blower tuned with a Utec, 600 cc injuectors, 255 pump, Kinetix Racing Plenum and a few other goodies) and had a SC C5 Vette on HREs before that. Well i sold it two years ago beacause I needed to free up some cash (I am a partner in a performance shop and we were expanding). The move is over and all is great, time for a new car. My shop is a Mustang shop so the New GT made since right?

I purchased a 2011 Mustang GT with a track package (base car with wheels and brake upgrade - 6 speed). It is rip your face off fast, and handles really good with a backseat -Hell Yeah! That is where the story ends... The ride sucks, the interior is absolute crap plastic and even though it handles well... it does it in a very sloppy manner. When you throw it into a corner there is tons of body roll before it begins to give you any confidence that its going to stick. The transmission is cluncky and the looks are just OK... you dont feel like you are driving a true sports car. Oh yeah...there is enough nose dip under heavy braking to make you throw up. It is a great platform and with some work could be a really good car, but coming from my last ride just was not my taste.

So I purchased a 370z with a Sports Package... and I love it. It is light years better than my 350 (as a stock car) and I cant wait to see how this one turns out. It is rock solid under heavy cornering, braking etc. Interior is good and the look is timeless. It does seem a little nervous during high speed cornering though (feels a little un-real or disconnected). I am sure I can get that worked out though. The GT outperforms the 370z in every way (please dont argue this point, it only means you dont know what you are talking about), but so what. I am after the experience not the fastest car. This is just my 2 cents! Glad to be back in the family..... Peace
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

We'll take you back....just got to make the Z a raw as ****! If you gonna be parking it outside a mustang shop...you gonna be the butt of jokes.

Tires
Complete FI exhaust w/LTH
75 shot with the works
Tuned

You should be able to shut up anything pulling into the shop
Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Pics or GTFO Mustang lover.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:58 AM
tazicon

Welcome! I love my 370Z although it is no where near as fast as a GT it is definately a blast to drive!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

You own a Mustang shop and sold your 2011 5.0 to buy a 370Z? Do you own other Mustangs? Doesn't seam like a smart business choice.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ straight to the point.

something is wrong here. then again, i work at a higher end European car place thingy and I drive a Z. get crap for it all the time.

i cant imagine what i'd get if i actually owned or ran the place in any way..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Duckeee
^ straight to the point.

something is wrong here. then again, i work at a higher end European car place thingy and I drive a Z. get crap for it all the time.

i cant imagine what i'd get if i actually owned or ran the place in any way..
You're an employee though, we have guys that work here and drive Mustangs, 7.3L Powerstroke, street bikes, 240's and Civic's but you better believe Sharif@Forged has a GT-R and a NISMO 370Z.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM
radioflyer350

Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged
You own a Mustang shop and sold your 2011 5.0 to buy a 370Z? Do you own other Mustangs? Doesn't seam like a smart business choice.
Well... Chad to top it all off, I am the Executive Mgr. of Jaguar Land Rover Hilton Head...LOL! I got crap about my 350Z from the Mustang Guys but they all know me. We did a shop track day at Roeblin Roads and I kicked *** in my 350! Mustang guys arent as bad as they seem. My Business Partner Mike has a Lightning that we kind of use as a shop car. We jumped into the Chrysler stuff about 2 years ago and it has been pretty cool. I do get a lot of crap about my love affair with Nissan...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
radioflyer350

Originally Posted by Chadbee@Forged

Chad,

there was a guy there named Sharif (i think)who helped me with my 350 ... is he still there? I need to call you guys.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by radioflyer350
Well... Chad to top it all off, I am the Executive Mgr. of Jaguar Land Rover Hilton Head...LOL! I got crap about my 350Z from the Mustang Guys but they all know me. We did a shop track day at Roeblin Roads and I kicked *** in my 350! Mustang guys arent as bad as they seem. My Business Partner Mike has a Lightning that we kind of use as a shop car. We jumped into the Chrysler stuff about 2 years ago and it has been pretty cool. I do get a lot of crap about my love affair with Nissan...
Mustang guys aren't bad at all, I recently sold my MINT low mileage 93 LX coupe, I do miss it but for track duties the Z is a much better platform.
Chad,

there was a guy there named Sharif (i think)who helped me with my 350 ... is he still there? I need to call you guys.
Of course, he is the owner and tuner here at Forged
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
BrickyardZ2003

Nice change! I love the new 5.0's. A friend of mine bought one last year. So far it's just got exhaust, intake and a tune, but it rips that's for sure. Driving it though, like you said, just feels so much less confidence-inducing than a Z does, especially a 370! I prefer driving my 350 than his 5.0, and I've got a bone stock 3.5 .
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So the Mustang GT outperforms the Z in every way exceeeeeeept in handling. So that's not 'every way' then.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
radioflyer350

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
So the Mustang GT outperforms the Z in every way exceeeeeeept in handling. So that's not 'every way' then.
I think you would be suprised. I think it does handle better than the 370! I just didnt like the way it went about doing it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
lillong1991

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have both, when i wanna tow *****s i bring out the stanggggg the Z is a cereal toy. AMERICAN MUSCLE. ***** *****.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you would be suprised. I think it does handle better than the 370! I just didnt like the way it went about doing it.
I know exactly what you mean. I test drove a lot of cars before picking my 12' mustang GT. the nismo 370z was high on my list. I had a 350z for a couple of years.

the 370Z is very graceful in the way it handles getting closer to it's limits, but the mustang is a little rougher around the edges.. its a side effect of the live rear axle, every little bump can toss it around a little bit.

that being said .. it's still the most confidence inspiring car I've had and I feel like I can really feel what the car is going through. I installed some eibach springs/struts/shocks, an adjustable panhard bar and some caster/camber plates .. they helped immensely. if my car was a track car I'd be throwing a watts link on it!

I disagree with you on the looks department though, tastefully modded .. mine commands a lot of attention everywhere I take it. Mustangs are a dime a dozen and most people that do mod them don't do it in a super clean manner.. so the beautiful ones really stand out.

both great cars though and the Z is a very capable platform. I am sure you will be happy, you sound like you know exactly what you wanted and what you're getting into. sometimes the driving feel is more important than anything else, and everyone has a different preference in that respect.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Entaille
I know exactly what you mean. I test drove a lot of cars before picking my 12' mustang GT. the nismo 370z was high on my list. I had a 350z for a couple of years.

the 370Z is very graceful in the way it handles getting closer to it's limits, but the mustang is a little rougher around the edges.. its a side effect of the live rear axle, every little bump can toss it around a little bit.

that being said .. it's still the most confidence inspiring car I've had and I feel like I can really feel what the car is going through. I installed some eibach springs/struts/shocks, an adjustable panhard bar and some caster/camber plates .. they helped immensely. if my car was a track car I'd be throwing a watts link on it!

I disagree with you on the looks department though, tastefully modded .. mine commands a lot of attention everywhere I take it. Mustangs are a dime a dozen and most people that do mod them don't do it in a super clean manner.. so the beautiful ones really stand out.

both great cars though and the Z is a very capable platform. I am sure you will be happy, you sound like you know exactly what you wanted and what you're getting into. sometimes the driving feel is more important than anything else, and everyone has a different preference in that respect.
Well said.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Zredman

Originally Posted by Entaille

pics plz lol
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I really like with Ford did with the new 5.0 powerplant, but.......no matter how fast they make them...i can't stop thinking in my head, it's still another mustang whooptdy do. Only because I see about at least 10 a day.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Post pics goddamn.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry fellas I wasn't monitoring this thread too well.

I threw an intake and a tune on the car last night and my god, it's a different beast now. the throttle response and power gains are incredible.

not the best pics - but here's a few just to share. first pics are stock for comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 370z vs Mustang GT