Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Need some inputs/opinions - to 370 or not to 370

Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
ziadmk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some inputs/opinions - to 370 or not to 370

guys
i have been a member of the forum for a few months. i believe this is my first post.
i had a 07 350Z manual Grand Toruring. loved the car, hated the clutch, finally sold it (had a baby girl, needed a back seat). i now have an E63 AMG as a daily driver/family. its good on the streets but the handling is so-so. i live in Emirates so there really are NO corners here, no back roads (really none, just wide long autobahn like highways)

i have been aching to get something i can play with/track/lightly modify (i occasionally drag the merc), and the 370 (along with the M3) keep on poping up in my head. the M3 is a good car but its running cost is a mother and its more expensive to buy. the 370 has less power and loses value rapidly but its more of a focused driver's car.

im seriously considering a used automatic 370 (from what i read the auto is better, and my experience with the Z clutch was less than orgasmic!). i will test drive it if i decided to bite th bullet, but i would like to know your views/opinion.

sorry for the long write up.

cheers

Last edited by ziadmk; 10-13-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want a 370Z that handles track duty, here you go:

This is my buddy's track ready 370Z, for sale. It's is the Extreme Performance Time Attack winner last season. It has all the goodies you need to run at the track - Stoptech BBK, dedicated track tires, optional bucket seat, V3 coilovers, etc etc.

http://www.gtz-uae.com/showthread.ph...londe-for-Sale

I've had this car for a week and daily drove it. I can tell the Z34 has better "feel" when driving it, compared to Z33. Manual transmission is really smooth and I had no issues putting them in gear, even when "racing". Pops from the Akrapovic catback during Rev-sync downshift is such an eargasm.

Anyways, the auto trans is not very impressive at the track. If you want a fun car that actually lets you drive it, then you should be looking at a manual.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM
ziadmk

Nice one. apart from the cluch, which feels better to you because its not the stock clutch, which has narrow engagement window and long travel and its hard to modulate. How does the car perfom as a daily driver? its not too stiff?
how are all these aftermarket parts holding up?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ziadmk
Nice one. apart from the cluch, which feels better to you because its not the stock clutch, which has narrow engagement window and long travel and its hard to modulate. How does the car perfom as a daily driver? its not too stiff?
how are all these aftermarket parts holding up?
Clutch operation is easy as a breeze.

The car, as daily driver is just like any other normal Z's.

Aftermarket parts are functioning as good as new. Only the top, popular aftermarket parts were used here, as you can see from the list of mods.

Call the guy up man, he can show the car to you.

Exterior:
• Carbon Signal Spec TS Lip in CF.
• Carbon Signal Spec TS Lip custom CF Fang cover.
• Carbon Signal V1 fenders.
• Carbon Signal vented hood V2.
• Carbon Signal Spec N rear spoiler.
• Evo – R carbon fiber rear diffuser.
• Evo – R carbon fiber side skirts.
• Shine Auto rear side spats.
• Cusco front hook.
• 3M Tint with 3 years warranty.
• Rear reverse camera integrated with OEM navi screen.

Engine and Drivetrain:
• Stillen G3 long tube filter.
• Stillen ceramic headers.
• Berk technologies test pipe.
• Akrapovic Stainless Steel Evolution Exhaust System with Carbon Fiber tips (The best European quality exhaust in the market).
• JWT clutch and lightweight fly wheel (used only for 3,000 KM and installed recently at Nissan Dealer in Abu Dhabi).
• ZSP Heavy Duty CSC Concentric Slave Cylinder .
• Braided clutch line.
• Cusco oil catch tank.
• GTM 34 raw Oil cooler.
• UpRev tuning done by Khaled from Extreme Performance the best JDM tuner in UAE.

Suspension:
• KW V3 coilover – the best German system in the market with independent rebound and compression adjustment.
• Stillen adjustable Sway bars front and back.
• Eibach Pro Alignment kit 370Z with front/rear and toe.
• SPC rear toe bolts.
• SPL PRO Lower Arm Bushings – Front.
• SPL PRO Lower Arm Bushing – Rear.
• SPL FKS Rear Knuckle Monoball Bushings.
• SPL pro solid sub frame bushing (the only Z in UAE to have it).
• SPL pro front end links.
• Whiteline rear end links.
• Whitleline differential bushings.
• All the alignment adjustment has been done at MSW the best in the UAE.

Brakes and Wheels:
• Stop tech BBK front 6 piston (380mm) – cost 12,000 dhs, brand new brakes pad will be given.
• Stop tech BBK back 4 piston (355mm) – cost 10,000 dhs, brand new brakes pad will be given.
• Stop tech braided brake lines.
• Stillen front brake cooling ducts.
• ADV1 5.1 Forged Custom 19x9.5 & 19x11 wheels Dark Gun Metal/brushed texture (the best in the market it cost 24,000 dhs)
• Tires: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 (275/35R19) Front, (305/30R19) Back.
• APR Extended Wheels studs.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM
ziadmk

Nothing? Really?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

what more are you looking for? why don't you go test drive both a manual and automatic and see which you like better? I wouldn't take someone's word on clutch 'feel' on a forum to heart, you should really experience it for yourself.

have you considered a nismo 370z? any other cars on your radar - not worried that the 370z will feel a little anemic after driving your amg around?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
ziadmk

Nismo isnt available here. Compared to the merc the 370 is down on power but im looking for more of driving involvement and feel rather driving a rocket like the merc.
Maybe i put my input request in a misleading way. Im considering 370, M3 and maybe Cayman s. Auto or manual 370 will be decided later.

Thanks for the reply anyway
Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Entaille

is the bmw 1m available over there? it was very limited quantity here in the states. I hear that is one hell of a well rounded drivers car. I'd put it on your short list if it's a possibility!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM
ziadmk

The 135 i - M is available. But i like the 370 better. Besides the 1M is not popular here so if i wanted to sell it I'm gonna be in trouble. The Z in general is a good car, with a ball bustin clutch. The Cayman is surgical but you pay premium for the Porsche badge. The E90/92 M3 is great just its getting softer. Cant find a decent E46 also.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Z-Crazy

370z is down on power in comparission to E63 AmG, but 370z will shine out in the corners.

Other options would be 1m (which is very nimble) or porsche cayman or perhaps 911 if your budget permits. Z4 M with twin turbo is another option and that thing really flies its no joke. Other options would be an older corvetteor newer boss mustang.

Personally, I like 370z, cornering is razor sharp, slightly better than E46 or E9x. Z has a tighter front end handling compared to all that I mentioned and I happen to like that.

It comes down to the feel, E9x M3 with DCT is a different animal, have you driven it?

Drive a few and lets us know what you think. It comes down to your preference.

Last edited by Z-Crazy; 10-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 AM
ziadmk

Originally Posted by Z-Crazy
370z is down on power in comparission to E63 AmG, but 370z will shine out in the corners.

Other options would be 1m (which is very nimble) or porsche cayman or perhaps 911 if your budget permits. Z4 M with twin turbo is another option and that thing really flies its no joke. Other options would be an older corvetteor newer boss mustang.

Personally, I like 370z, cornering is razor sharp, slightly better than E46 or E9x. Z has a tighter front end handling compared to all that I mentioned and I happen to like that.

It comes down to the feel, E9x M3 with DCT is a different animal, have you driven it?

Drive a few and lets us know what you think. It comes down to your preference.
911 is over my budget. Remember that i wont be driving it 100% of the time. Whether the 370 corners better than the E9x or not is up for debate. Maybe better than the E46 though.
I didnt try the Z4 M, so thats another option. Now for muscle cars, man, i had a 2012 charger and that thing is HEAVY. Its goes fine to 120 or 130 mph and then the weight kicks in big time. There is also tons of body roll. And im not after big cars or high power, i have the AMG which is basically a German muscle car.

I have only driven the manual E92 M3 but not the DCT.

370Z looks like a viable option. Handles well, cheaper than all the above and its running cost are the lowest. It loses value fast, so that means i can pick one for a good price. Its aftermarket is also huge and the modding cost is certainly lower than the BMW. You wont mod a Porsche anyway.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 AM
garrettxJDM

I would recommend the 370. IMHO if your going to get a Cayman just save some more and get a 911... I don't know if these are available there but have you considered the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? 3.8v6 or the 2.0turbo? These cars handle amazing and are hella fast, not to mention the warrenty you can get and they're not that expensive.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Z-Crazy

911 is over my budget. Remembe. that i wont be driving it 100% of the time. Whether the 370 corners better than the E9x or not is up for debate. Maybe better than the E46 though.
I didnt try the Z4 M, so thats another option. Now for muscle cars, man, i had a 2012 charger and that thing is HEAVY. Its goes fine to 120 or 130 mph and then the weight kicks in big time. There is also tons of body roll. And im not after big cars or high power, i have the AMG which is basically a German muscle car.

I have only driven the manual E92 M3 but not the DCT.

370Z looks like a viable option. Handles well, cheaper than all the above and its running cost are the lowest. It loses value fast, so that means i can pick one for a good price. Its aftermarket is also huge and the modding cost is certainly lower than the BMW. You wont mod a Porsche anyway.

I own a BMW M5, and it goes without saying that these german muscle cars are big on power but not as great for handling, kind of same issue as E63 AMG.

Charger is out of question. Its a good car but not for a track. I was talking about boss 302 mustang. Its not a regular mustang. When I drove it on a track, it was only a hair apart every lap than the M3. DCT M3 might be a bit faster but mustang costs almost half of M3.

Another muscle car thats slightly apart is a corvette. Most corvettes are very light so power to weight ratio will matter a lot on a track.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-instrumented-test-review

Modofied Z4m with a twin turbo killed all the cars on the track that I mentioned earlier but it is definitely not cheap to maintain like a Z. But its definitely one of those cars that one must drive just for the experience.

You can't go wrong with the 370z.

Like I said earlier, drive a few and it all comes down to your preference.

Last edited by Z-Crazy; 10-16-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM
ziadmk

911 is available. One thing about the market here, is that it has a high turn over. Also few mechanics know sports cars. The result is that you shouldnt get a car that is older than 5 or 6 years otherwise you may be stuck with it and its bills for a very long miserable time. Thats why 911 isnt an easy option.
I never saw a Boss 302 here, only GTs, Shelby and Rouchs.
Will check the Genesis and Z4 M for sure.

One more question, when i had the 350, it rattled and vibrated and cluncked, though it had only 30k miles. Does the 370 do the same? What about the Bose sound system? It sucked in the 350.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

One more question, when i had the 350, it rattled and vibrated and cluncked, though it had only 30k miles. Does the 370 do the same? What about the Bose sound system? It sucked in the 350.
The interior quality on the 370 is leaps and bounds better than the 350. My 350 rattled and squeaked all over the place, but I have had zero issues with my 2012.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:35 AM
ziadmk

Ok. The regular Z4 is available, the M one isnt. The Genesis Coupe is available and cheap. 2013 model with less than 30K miles is for around 17k (2.0T). The V6 one is around 25 grand ( 10K miles one). Worried about the gearbox response and the front suspension (370 has a better front suspension).
Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Entaille

you seemed to dismiss the corvette as a muscle car and lumped it in with the other overweight cars that don't feel nearly as sporty, it is far from it, and in your budget. I would seriously suggest you drive one just to check it out, you can't really find a better bang for the buck, plus you get to maintain v8 level power and sound.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM
ziadmk

Originally Posted by Entaille
you seemed to dismiss the corvette as a muscle car and lumped it in with the other overweight cars that don't feel nearly as sporty, it is far from it, and in your budget. I would seriously suggest you drive one just to check it out, you can't really find a better bang for the buck, plus you get to maintain v8 level power and sound.
I would try it for sure. Im not familiar with the lineup of corvettes. Any specific model/year/trim i should be looking for?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Entaille

it depends - for the c5 generation (up to 04?), only the c5 z06. for the c6 generation (04 and beyond), the base c6's are still great. 2008+ has the LS3 which is a pretty good bump up from the ls2, and you want the Z51 package. any year c6 z06 would be fantastic as well.

if you can swing a new c7 (these are less than a new m3 here), they are amazing. you'd want whatever they are calling the suspension package on that as well (it might still be z51). the electronic differential in that is really impressive.

these cars will surprise you, I think. they are very low, light weight (for american cars), handle really well, they can even be a bit hard to control until you've had some good seat time with them. my only major complaint about them is they are long in the nose and visibility isn't the greatest.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
ziadmk

Thanks for corvette info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some inputs/opinions - to 370 or not to 370