Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z Automatic Transmission Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Will273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370Z Automatic Transmission Opinions

Hi Guys,

Bought a 2008 350Z 6 speed manual 4 months ago and like it a lot. However after watching a ton of videos and doing some research I'm thinking about getting a 2009 370Z automatic with paddle shifters and would like your opinions on it.

At first I didn't know much about them and wasn't impressed at all...an automatic in a car like that...really? Degrading...so I thought...until I watched some videos of other cars like the European and Lambos, Mclarens, etc. I know it's not the same but close enough for me and I know the transmissions are nowhere the same but would think generally in the same ballpark...so to speak.

I'd just like to know if you have one how do you like it compared to a 6 speed manual trans. Going to maybe test drive one tomorrow so any opinions ASAP would be helpful, Thanks!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Infiniti uses the same 7-speed tranny in the G37xS sedan and it's fine for a auto. But make no mistake, it's still an automatic tranny; it's not a anything like what McLarens or Lambos are running. Both the VQ35HR and the VQ37VHR have plenty of torque, so they don't even need seven speeds. But as far as enjoyment and involvement in your driving? Stay with the six-speed manual my friend...
Old 07-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Will273

Thanks dkmura. I know it's still an automatic...I'm not kidding myself into thinking it's a real manual trans...it's not and I know it...it's an automatic no matter how you slice it.

Having said that... I kind of like how fast they seem to shift. I don't think I'd be using it in "drive" mode very much and would be using the paddles most of the time. Why do you suggest I stay with my manual if you don't mind me asking...I'm open to anything anyone has to say and thanks again for what you've said.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Will273

Forgot to add...I don't care about the extra 7th gear...even though it's there I'll never use it.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Unless you need the convenience of driving an auto in heavy traffic, I can't think of a single reason why an enthusiast driver would want one. The six-speed manual in the Z has the right weighting, solid shift pattern and an honest-to-God clutch that makes every drive so satisfying if you know how to use them all.

Plus, there's the attraction of driving a car with a fine manual tranny...which is a rarity these days.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:56 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

And I might add, the RJM adjustable clutch pedal makes the 6MT that much more enjoyable. I've been driving MT cars for 40+ years, and had gotten used to the weird feel of the Z's clutch (probably worse on my HR car), but the RJM pedal really makes a huge improvement.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Will273

Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Will273

Well I went and test drove it. I have to say I feel the power more in a manual than the automatic with paddle shifters but that 370 did have power. In "drive" mode which I call "safe" mode seemed no different that driving a sedan...until you put the peddle to the floor. I started in "drive" mode and got on the highway and wondered where all the power was....kept easing the peddle down and scratched my head...where is it?

So I put the peddle to the floor and I woke up a MONSTER....I immediately backed off and apologized...I'm sorry I disturbed you...please go back to sleep and the car calmed back down....geez...what's under the hood? It's a loud growling roar....pure music to me.

Tried the paddles and everything changed when put into manual. At a stop you hear the engine sound change and the monster is awake. How awake it gets depends on how much throttle you use....even just easing it on it begs and pleads to be driven harder. With this car you truly have a tiger by the tail. Can only imagine it with a full manual transmission. As for the GT-R...haven't driven one but makes me wonder how that car would be legal and might be shot on sight if seen in public...I'd say the 370 is the son of the GT-R and can only imagine what that must be like.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:21 PM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^you got the right idea.
I had a 350z MT for years, until I bought my sport 370z auto transmission.
I do miss the MT. However, I fell in love with the paddle shifters!
Why? Cause it's quick as fawk, and the power is there.
No regrets here.