Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Is the 2012 GTR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

they added a cts-v coupe and cts-v wagon to their lineup. he's talking about the cts-v wagon .. same mac daddy setup as the other cts-v's, just in wagon style.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
they added a cts-v coupe and cts-v wagon to their lineup. he's talking about the cts-v wagon .. same mac daddy setup as the other cts-v's, just in wagon style.
Oh, I got it now. I forgot they came out with that. I remember TopGear's Test on it.... LOL ... One fast people hauler.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Well, yeah, I ended up with a 4 door wagon vette. I haven't bought an American car in over 10 years... gonna be interesting. The build order/request should go out today, then I just wait... 3 months probably. I'm looking forward to cheap(er) modding with decent power gains. That ZR1 engine seems capable enough... at the end of the day it is what it is, fun family transportation, definitely no GTR or 997 turbo, but I think I'll be happy enough.

I'm still baffled by the Nissan dealerships... I'm guessing they just didn't make enough GTR's yet and the ones they did make are selling well/sold. The silver one I had a line on had body damage from transportation and the owner refused delivery... so even then I'd be getting a repaired car... other than that I couldn't find any besides the one listed for $116k which I didn't even bother inquiring about.

Are you talking about Nissan of the Eastside? They dont know jack sh*t about cars.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/we...132614218.html

Interesting article... Must be related to delays in purchasing new!
Attached Thumbnails Is the 2012 GTR worth it?-radioactivecars.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Are you talking about Nissan of the Eastside? They dont know jack sh*t about cars.
Yeah, them and the rest of the dealerships around here. I came close a couple of times to getting one, but they just don't seem to get it.

I walked into the Cadillac dealership and had a deal done in about an hour. Night and day difference. I feel like I did pretty well overall, it was about 6 weeks from the time I ordered to when the car was in my hands.

I ended up ordering pretty much every option, I mean, why not? Still came in a lot cheaper than the GTR.... I maxed out at $73k with everything. They gave me $90k for my 997... the tax credit helped make up the difference.

So, got a white (the color I would have gotten the GTR in) 6spd with recaros, alcantara wrapped steering wheel, shifter, black satin wheels, yellow calipers, sunroof, dark wood trim, yada yada. I think I checked every box...

The car is really smooth.. I love driving it. The car handles way better than I thought it would... I have more confidence in it after a week than a year in my 997.

Hopefully build wise it won't let me down.. I've been rather gun-shy of American quality, but so far everything feels really solid. Crossing my fingers. It feels good to own an American car again.. not gonna lie.

So, anyhow, to sum it up, still want a GTR and I will have one someday, just wasn't in the cards this go around. This is not a bad 2nd option, and with my 2 kids, etc it will work out probably better for now. See you guys in a few years.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is that a fwcking wagon?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
Is that a fwcking wagon?
+1
Como de fock?

How do you go from gtr, 997 to cts waggon?

....herpaderpaderpaherp.....derp...

Well at least it's got an ls series motor. Just turbo that.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
tazicon

I was looking long and hard at GTR's, but I just couldn't get passed that 120k price tag which included a mark up of 20k for market value adjustment (WTF?). I ended up with a G37 IPL and a 370Z Sport and still have a LOT of money left over for mods. Oh also trying to get the dealership to let me test drive one wasn't happening, so I would be paying out serious cash on a car they wouldn't let me test drive........... another WTF?. Even the Aston Martin dealership let me test drive their cars. Anyway I did have the dream of a GTR but let it go. I have been having a LOT of fun in the Z even though I imagine it's not the same. Still a lot of fun with lots of possibilities. I call it my poor mans Porsche!

Last edited by tazicon; 12-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I was told when I bought my 370Z that it would be April or May before the dealership would have one to look at and that one was sold. One actually showed up on the showroom floor for sale in October, a month after I bought mine.... Doh !!!! So, anyways; in September, I had to think really hard and decided that the $100K tag was to steep for a car. That amount would be enough a down payment on two houses. The monthly payment would be about the same for one house as it was for a GTR. Houses are still better investments at this time than cars.

So, I talked myself out of a GTR for a house and a 370Z. I further thought how often am I going to do a 1/4mile run in the car anyways. Who says 13flat is a bad quarter mile time.

In the end, I test drove the 370Z and realized it is more car than I'll ever use on a daily basis and it will help me to keep my license. If I need a speed thrill I'll just take the superchargered Firebird I own out for a spin. Plus, the GTR would have had a much higher insurance premium etc....

Do I think the GTR is worth $100-120K to me Heck no !!!!
But, is it a value for those that want one of the best cars out there... Heck yes !!!

If I had so much money that I didn't know what to do with it ... or a couple more houses.. then it might make sense to own a GTR. I just do not see it as a daily driver, seriously and if it's a weekend car... That's a lot of scratch just to blast around on the weekend. Not to mention I'd be scared to death of a accident, scratch, dent or window chip. In my 370Z, I can take such things in stride, use it as it was intended and everyone still gives me props on how nice it is when I pull up to the pump. ;-)
Old 12-14-2011, 04:58 AM
bigcloud

Yeah, them and the rest of the dealerships around here. I came close a couple of times to getting one, but they just don't seem to get it.

I walked into the Cadillac dealership and had a deal done in about an hour. Night and day difference. I feel like I did pretty well overall, it was about 6 weeks from the time I ordered to when the car was in my hands.

I ended up ordering pretty much every option, I mean, why not? Still came in a lot cheaper than the GTR.... I maxed out at $73k with everything. They gave me $90k for my 997... the tax credit helped make up the difference.

So, got a white (the color I would have gotten the GTR in) 6spd with recaros, alcantara wrapped steering wheel, shifter, black satin wheels, yellow calipers, sunroof, dark wood trim, yada yada. I think I checked every box...

The car is really smooth.. I love driving it. The car handles way better than I thought it would... I have more confidence in it after a week than a year in my 997.

Hopefully build wise it won't let me down.. I've been rather gun-shy of American quality, but so far everything feels really solid. Crossing my fingers. It feels good to own an American car again.. not gonna lie.

So, anyhow, to sum it up, still want a GTR and I will have one someday, just wasn't in the cards this go around. This is not a bad 2nd option, and with my 2 kids, etc it will work out probably better for now. See you guys in a few years.

GOOOOOD CHOICE!! I was looking at CTS-V's as kid movers instead of a GT-R. Much more practical. I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the LSA motor.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Resmarted

Anyone see the 2013 gtr magazine article that claims it will do 10.8 in the quarter mile on 96 octane?

@2013gtr, HOLY BUTT FARGLES.
I know that gtr's run that with light bolt ons, but that's still a FACTORY car. Go nissan.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Oh yes, it's a awesome car... I just wish I could see my way to spending that much on a car. I guess I'm just too cheap... Well, maybe if I sold a few of my cars I could do it. Or, the motorhome... Hey wait a second, that could be the ticket. I'd just have to sleep in my car on the weekends at the track.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Oh yes, it's a awesome car... I just wish I could see my way to spending that much on a car. I guess I'm just too cheap... Well, maybe if I sold a few of my cars I could do it. Or, the motorhome... Hey wait a second, that could be the ticket. I'd just have to sleep in my car on the weekends at the track.
I think I'm finally realizing a positive kickback from having insomnia! Who needs a place to sleep on track days when you don't sleep anyway!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 PM
PrimeX

Originally Posted by Entaille
Cts-v wagon .. awesome. iirc, the us top gear did a comparison between sedan/coupe/wagon and the wagon actually performed the best? crazy : ) bad *** car either way
And it smoked the Ferrari California. I'm close to buying a CTS-V coupe. CANNOT WAIT! I wanted a GTR, but for a DD, not practical imo. Once I test drove and sat in the new Caddy, it was over.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Dan Ketch

Thats awesome very nice i must say
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I think I'm finally realizing a positive kickback from having insomnia! Who needs a place to sleep on track days when you don't sleep anyway!
I hear ya..... However, you need somewhere to store the spare parts.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 12-18-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM
DrVolkl

+1
Como de fock?

How do you go from gtr, 997 to cts waggon?

....herpaderpaderpaherp.....derp...

Well at least it's got an ls series motor. Just turbo that.
I had to sell my 997 due to a pending divorce... attorney fees pile up fast...

As far as turbo charging.... well, it's already supercharged..

I needed something with back seats... I could have gotten the coupe, but I was like, WTF might as well go all in and get something you don't see very often.

A 550hp 6spd station wagon... lol. I'm just having some fun!

I'll get a GTR someday... no doubt in my mind. Such an awesome car. The Caddy is super smooth tho, a real pleasure to drive. It definitely caters to my old man side.

Last edited by DrVolkl; 12-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Mike Anthony

There's a brand new black edition down the road at the dealer. Oh so temping. gah.

My grandfather bought a 2012 Shelby Mustang and now regrets not getting the GT-R.

One of these days......
Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Resmarted

I had to sell my 997 due to a pending divorce... attorney fees pile up fast...

As far as turbo charging.... well, it's already supercharged..

I needed something with back seats... I could have gotten the coupe, but I was like, WTF might as well go all in and get something you don't see very often.

A 550hp 6spd station wagon... lol. I'm just having some fun!

I'll get a GTR someday... no doubt in my mind. Such an awesome car. The Caddy is super smooth tho, a real pleasure to drive. It definitely caters to my old man side.
Just realized your name...
You play tennis? Not to many people rock the volkls! My private coach (before I went on tennis break) was sponsored by volkl...
Unless you don't play, in which case nvm lol
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 AM
DrVolkl

Just realized your name...
You play tennis? Not to many people rock the volkls! My private coach (before I went on tennis break) was sponsored by volkl...
Unless you don't play, in which case nvm lol
They do make racquets (and I did play tennis in high school but I think I had used a dunlop or something like that)... I used to race on their skis in high school and college.

Anyone else almost get a GTR and come up short? The GT500 was on my short list as well (having owned two prior mustangs)... I think that's a fantastic car!

I'm excited to see the next GTR and where they go with it... seems to be bumping HP is no big deal.... love lurking in this forum!

Quick Reply: Is the 2012 GTR worth it?