Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

how to make a screen play dvds while driving?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:09 PM
edwin350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make a screen play dvds while driving?

i just installed my jensen 9021 and i want it to play dvds while driving(i know its illegal but still) is says to connect a wire to hand brake and i did it and it worked fine. but then i was messing around with it trying to make it play with out hand brake and it seemed tat if i connected the same wire to a ground it worked. it was working fine......but a while later when everything was done and pout back into place the darn thing stopped working so i take everything apart again and try to connect to hand brake and now not even that works all i get is a screen saying its unlawful to drive when dvd is on or whatever... anyways. has anyone had this problem???? i left everything alone for now and want to finsh this today so any suggestions will be good.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I grounded the wire and mine has been working for years. You might wanna try grounding it somewhere else.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
GFrnk69

Originally Posted by edwin350z
i just installed my jensen 9021 and i want it to play dvds while driving(i know its illegal but still) is says to connect a wire to hand brake and i did it and it worked fine. but then i was messing around with it trying to make it play with out hand brake and it seemed tat if i connected the same wire to a ground it worked. it was working fine......but a while later when everything was done and pout back into place the darn thing stopped working so i take everything apart again and try to connect to hand brake and now not even that works all i get is a screen saying its unlawful to drive when dvd is on or whatever... anyways. has anyone had this problem???? i left everything alone for now and want to finsh this today so any suggestions will be good.
Jensen huh?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe because its a JENSEN. My Valor plays all day long while driving around town. UPGRADE!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
MadCabbie

Its the law now, which forces Companies to equip newer models with the saftey feature.

There a few different ones.

Now a jensen, well most of them, dont have the extra security like the alpines and pioneer. You should just be able to ground it like to the ground behind your stereo.

However you can test this.

With the head unit out, touch the pink wire to ground with the car turned off. Now turn the car on while keeping the pink wire grounded. If it lets you watch a movie, theres you solution. Splice in and your set. If it still gives you the error. Start the car like normal AND THEN ground the pink wire. if it works then what you need is either a switch or a relay.

Whats happening, is upon startup the LCD unit is looking for ground. if it sees ground then it disables the DVD player. This to keep people from grounding the wire permenently. Putting a switch in between the wire and ground simply makes its so you can turn your car on with the pink wire open and then flip the switch to ground it. All you do is start the car with the switch OFF, and then when the dvd unit boots up flip the switch to on so it grounds and your set.

I went the relay route. All I did was use my Remote Amp lead from the head unit.

Look up Relay diagrams on google if you dont know how to wire one
Ill try to make this simple. You have four plugs on a relay.

Hook your remote amp lead to Pin 86
Pin 85 to ground
pin 87 to ground
and Pin 30 to your E-Brake Wire coming off the head unit(typically pink on jenson)

All relays have these numbers...well most..

Now whats happening is when your Stereo turns on it looks for ground and doesnt see anything so it see's it as the e brake off.
Then it finishes starting up and turns on your amp leads
That clicks on the relay and allows the pink wire to ground out making your dvd player think the ebrake is on.

Viola
Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
mikew18

dude, ground the parking brake wire and throw a toggle switch on it...case closed
Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
edwin350z

yup thats what i did. know i just turn the switch on then off then on then off and it works great. now i can see dvds and jerry springer and the news on the tv...lol . thanks anyways guys.