Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Donald0730

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake, Header, Exhaust, Suspension, Wheels, Bodykit, and some ICE. That's about all I'm willing to do. I'm too scared to go for any FI on my $40K Z. Good Luck to everyone else with the ***** to boost.

I'm currently deciding on which project car I want to pursue. I'm deciding between an older model integra with a Type R motor swap or a 91 240sx with sr20det.

Maybe by the time I get outta college and find a job, I'll be the next person to swap a rb26dett motor into my Z. But for now, It's just cheap rice rockets for me.

Last edited by Donald0730; 11-18-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:46 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by ypwpat
Is the 3M clear bra is different to the Clear Bra that you mention?
3M makes the film. Clear bra is a name brand. Think of a company like Panosonic making electrical components for another companies product like a Sony "Walkman", then you got the concept.

Read this thread, hope this helps:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....r+bra+torrance

If they are not by you, call them and they can find a good installer for you anywhere in the USA.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-18-2003, 01:51 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by jedoublery
Great post. Man, you have too much time.....good for us though.

Question about suspension.
putting on S-tune strut and springs will drop the car by 3/4", but would it further off set the camber in the rear? It seems like my stock 17" rear has already a bad enough negative camber.
1. Yes, I sent a couple hours thinking it through but those hours spent can maybe help someone from making a big mistake. I dont feel it is too much time because to e, helping others is something that is important to me.

2. The NISMO S suspension is suppose to be within spec without an alignment. Even if it needs aligning, it should be within spec. That is why Nissan went for the .75' drop and not greater. Maybe it is not quite as agressive looking but it is within spec, handles great, maintains warranty, and bottoms out less. The less agressive look is the possible negative. Those are the pros and cons, you decide what is best for you.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2003, 03:28 PM
jeff

Thanks for your well thought out post. After spending close to a year on this board (lots of reading) I've come to the same conclusions. After all the time and thoought you have put into this it should definitely be sticky.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all of that!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:22 PM
hakhan

Excellent and insightful post, very useful, thanks!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:28 PM
azjimbo

Great info and right to the point.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:42 PM
VinaZ

Originally posted by zland
I always wanted a 300TT Z but could not afford it at the time. Now, I can afford a Z so I am doing what I dreamed of doing years ago.
Me too. I always wanted a TT 300Z but can't not afford one until now. I remember when I was working at Catalyst Semi in early 90's. There was this VP guy in engineering driving the white pearl TT 300Z. It was beautiful and I always wish have one like that.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:34 AM
FRIT-Z

Thanks for the great info...I found it really helpful as I am not an experienced modifier...I want to go forward with performance mods and you have helped clarify matters...

Next major mods will be headers, high flow cats and Borla TDE.

Then some drive train mods...flywheel and clutch...then I want to S/C (rode in one in West Chester PA...awsume).

Where should I install cams? What else should I do? I definately want to S/C.

Thanks,
Frit-z
Old 11-19-2003, 09:01 AM
350zWhite04

nice post dude~ im a newbie...jus bought a white base 350z and thanks for clearing all that up
Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by FRIT-Z
Thanks for the great info...I found it really helpful as I am not an experienced modifier...I want to go forward with performance mods and you have helped clarify matters...

Next major mods will be headers, high flow cats and Borla TDE.

Then some drive train mods...flywheel and clutch...then I want to S/C (rode in one in West Chester PA...awsume).

Where should I install cams? What else should I do? I definately want to S/C.

Thanks,
Frit-z
Just remember that cams for NA cars are different than cams for FI cars. Be sure to get cams specifically designed for a SC. JWT (Jim Wolf) is rumored to be developing a cam that will be good for this application. If you want to find out more, contact Greg Vogel, parts maneger for Mossy Nissan of Oceanside. He speaks to Jim weekly. Greg's ph # is 760-720-9797.

I suggest you get the cams and SC kit installed at the same time. That way, you dont have to tune your SC again after cams installed. If you know which SC kit you are thinking of using, i can give you more specific advise.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2003, 09:52 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

good job
Old 11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
IAMZ1

WOW... thanks for the Moding heads up!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I am very pleased with the amount of people that have read the thread and the amount of positive posts. Your feedback makes me happy I took the time to make this summary.

I certainly did not cover fine details. If you have any specific questions, I will try my best to answer them and/or refer you to people that have a greater knowledge in that area than myself.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 AM
keiffer953

Great Post!!!! Thanks Jeff.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
ChuckGZ

ok, let me add to the long line of "good jobs". I've had my '04 Z for about three weeks now, and i'm just itching to start turning it into"my" Z. Stuff like this post is exactly what i've been looking for to steer me down the right path.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Caryl Chessman
Banned

Default Ditto

I agree will all those who came before. Overall, excellent advice. But one thing I would disagree with. Why do you say that if you add 100 hp you need a new clutch (you gave a reason, but it was not sufficiently detailed to support your point).

I have added 100 hp to my Z, and I think the stock clutch is perfectly adequate. It works better with more power. Bites nicely. Clean downshifts at speed come easily with a slight delay as you come near to the top of the pedal's travel; just be sure to add a judicious blip of the throttle.

You are right most of the time, but dude you are long-winded! lol
Old 11-20-2003, 06:27 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Ditto

Originally posted by Caryl Chessman
one thing I would disagree with. Why do you say that if you add 100 hp you need a new clutch (you gave a reason, but it was not sufficiently detailed to support your point).

I have added 100 hp to my Z, and I think the stock clutch is perfectly adequate. It works better with more power. Bites nicely. Clean downshifts at speed come easily with a slight delay as you come near to the top of the pedal's travel; just be sure to add a judicious blip of the throttle.

You are right most of the time, but dude you are long-winded! lol
1. Most people that add 100 hp, tend to drive very aggresive, that is why they added hp. Read others posts, they talk about burning up clutches. If you dont drive that way, no problem. You can drive hard and burn up a clutch with 287hp too. "California" burnt up his clutch in one hour doing burnouts at his work.

2. As one person said, I covered most of what he learned over a year on this site in a 5 minute read. I would like to see you cover everything I did in a shorter method. The only place I was wordy was the intro and summary. You just said I did not provide "sufficiently detailed to support your point".
Old 11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey Ya

Great post! Someone should nominate this man for the Pulitzer.

If only I had read that when I was 16 on my first car.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:42 AM
350z-z33

Thumbs up Excellent job!

zland, you did an excellent job posting the info on this thread! THANK YOU!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.