Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Why the Roadster is better than the coupe.....

Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
AdamDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks pretty good top up, it looks chopped, like the limited edition porshe speedster. The top says "I was designed to be a convertible sports car. I don't care what the top looks like."
Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
netman_one

Originally Posted by harrieyu
imo i think the roadster only looks good in optimal situations. there has to be some sort of sunlight with the top down cruising. the roadster doens't look good with the top up. very awkward looking like somethings missing in the back.
My Super Black ZR looks GREAT with the top down or up in bright sunlight or on a cloudy day, it also looks Great in twilight, at dusk or dawn, and out on a pitch black night, or just sitting in my garage!

The only thing missing or awkward I have found with my ZR is having to go back for the other cute petite blond as they both cannot comfortably fit in the roadster no matter how small or sexy they are!

Why drive a coupe?
When a Top is always Optional with a Roadster!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by bixby
It's ok. Top up, the coupe looks better imo. Top down they are equally sexy.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night. LOL
Old 05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
ohw

I saw posts that a few Z owners switched to ZR and commented that was a good move. Anyone here did it the other way around (ZR to Z)? Any comment after the Z to ZR switch?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:26 AM
AdamDC

No

(Talking about ZR to Z)
Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 AM
REDROADSTER350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just sex

I have not yet put my PIAA rims, but the compliments that I get are just over whelming.
When I put the new wheels on with the convertible...........LOOK OUT!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by AdamDC
No

(Talking about ZR to Z)

That's reverse evolution.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Why drive a coupe?
History of skin cancer in the family?

Even with the rear strut bar the trunk is quite a bit more useful?

More room for a sound system?

Cheaper not only starting out but long term with the motors, electronics and fabric (the latter only counts if you actually use the car longer than the warranty)

People with razor blades suck?

Chris (who drove a 62 Sprite for 8 years as a daily driver with a lic frame that read "I'm only happy when she's topless")
Old 05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
History of skin cancer in the family?
I'm afraid of skin cancer! I'm almost black now from driving a convertible around. If i take off my shirt I look weird now. LOL I'm still tan just no where near as tan as I am on my arms and face.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

yr4m2....When I have the top down I get stares all the time & compliments especially at the gas station. So far, it hasn't failed yet. I'm at the pumps with the top down...someone is always approaching me with a compliment. I like the style of the top up too!...however no one has complimented me about my Z when the top is up on the road or at the pumps!! What a fun car to own & drive!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunatelly I drive my car.

First there's the look. The roadster just looks like hell with the top up. The lines are destroyed and just don't look clean. Not Nissan's fault as most rag-tops suffer from the same look - the Porsches, Audi, and Honda S2000 which are good looking cars with the top down look like carp with the top up.

I really don't enjoy the pollution of the other million cars in front of me and the million and a half behind me. Then there's the noise ... the little kids driving fart-can equipped Civics and OPM (other people's music). And finally the heat that burns through the thin rag top melting the skull of the driver - it rarely gets below 95 degrees in the summer here and often we'll get a few weeks in a row above 105 (in the shade!).

If Nissan could take a lesson from Porsche and put a felt liner between and internal and external cover I'd look again at the rag-top.

After taking the Audi TT, Porsche 911 Cabrolet and Boxster, and the (tiny) Honda S2000's for test rides I took the 350Z for a ride and found that the coupe was the best fit for me - your milage may vary - but I made an informed choice which is a heck of a lot more than most people do!

Looking at the coupe and roadster side-by-side and there is no comparison in my eyes - the coupe looks more like a classic Porsche 911 then the new 996.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
And finally the heat that burns through the thin rag top melting the skull of the driver - it rarely gets below 95 degrees in the summer here and often we'll get a few weeks in a row above 105 (in the shade!).
You live in Arizona or California? I turn on the AC with the top down and absolutely love it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
You live in Arizona or California? I turn on the AC with the top down and absolutely love it.
Same here...also in the evenings when it's a bit chilly I turn on the heater!

As far as the lines go...when the top is down...the roadster is by far the best lookin' over the coupe & a lot more fun!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:35 PM
ZBoater

....Looking at the coupe and roadster side-by-side and there is no comparison in my eyes - the coupe looks more like a classic Porsche 911 then the new 996.
You are right, there is no comparison. Period. I didn't get a roadster because it looks like a Porsche, or any other car. The ZR has a distinctive look of its own. Actually, come to think of it, the coupe kinda looks like a Celica.... That's why I got the Roadster instead...

Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Look there is no reason to argue, they end up being two distinctly different shapes when compared side by side. One has a sweeping back the complements the wide fenders and sleek hood lines, the other has a flat back that compliments the blunt "brick like" qualities of the front bumper. I just wish they made the roadster in a speedster version with a shorter windshield to get back some of the openness it looses due to the rollbars and thick window pillars. Even with the top down they feel a bit claustrophobic.

Chris
Old 05-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

they BOTH look good IMO.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Inland Empire ... gonna be one of those triple digit dayz today.

I had forgot about the skin cancer - dad's survived a run in with it already. Nasty stuff.

Get both!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Inland Empire ... gonna be one of those triple digit dayz today.

I had forgot about the skin cancer - dad's survived a run in with it already. Nasty stuff.

Get both!
Are you sure??? Palm springs will reach triple digit but I don't IE will. I know a little less than 2 weeks out of the year the weather is triple digit in LA. I never knew IE can be so bad. I'm glad I live out here on the Westside. It feels like an A/C on a warm day with the ocean breeze. I'll be forced to take a cruise to PCH top down.

http://msnbc.com/news/wea_front.asp?...=y&accid=91709

Oh yeah I wear sunblock everyday and only exposed for about 30 minutes a day at most.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Livn-4-Tdy

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
yr4m2....When I have the top down I get stares all the time & compliments especially at the gas station. So far, it hasn't failed yet. I'm at the pumps with the top down...someone is always approaching me with a compliment. I like the style of the top up too!...however no one has complimented me about my Z when the top is up on the road or at the pumps!! What a fun car to own & drive!
I HAD to compliment how great your car looks. SUPER clean! What do you use on it??

Also saw that your from Ohio...I grew up in Marblehead.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Livn-4-Tdy

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
I'm afraid of skin cancer! I'm almost black now from driving a convertible around. If i take off my shirt I look weird now. LOL I'm still tan just no where near as tan as I am on my arms and face.
Be very careful...Skin Cancer isn't anything to mess around with. I'm 30 and was diagnosed with Melanoma when I was 21. The doctor said if they would have caught it any later they wouldn't have been able to do anything. Thankful for everyday I get to drive around in my ZZZZZZZZZ !

-Holly <<< ( has a roadster and ALWAYS wears tons of sun screen)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the Roadster is better than the coupe.....