Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Air Conditioning Smell Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
SEK Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Air Conditioning Smell Problem

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post.......

I have a MAJOR problem with a mildew type almost sour smell coming from the air conditioner in my 2003Z.

Anybody else have this problem? I live in South Florida so am wondering if it is the heat/humidity is causing this problem.

Nissan dealer checked it (without disassembling the evaporator) but could not find the problem.

I have tried spraying Lysol into the a/c intake but it does not help.

Suggestions please I can't take the smell anymore!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

The problem is pretty typical for most people on this board (and in my g/f's RSX as well)...
Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Badmonkey

There is an air filter under the dash. It may have gotten wet and have mildew. You can see it easily, if you take off the battery cover and the plastic under the windshield wiper on the passenger side.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
jrofman

I have had this problem since I purchased my car. I have had my AC cleaned 4 times, and still the same smell. I am in the middle of a lemon law complaint due to this and other problems. I will keep everyone updated. But in my case, how many problems do you need to have and how many times do you need to try to fix it before things are actually fixed.

Originally Posted by Badmonkey_1
There is an air filter under the dash. It may have gotten wet and have mildew. You can see it easily, if you take off the battery cover and the plastic under the windshield wiper on the passenger side.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 PM
lascala26

I have it. Usually goes away after I run the A/C for about 5-10 minutes.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Stuff

I'm sure it has to do with the humidity.

This happened to pretty much all my cars at one point or another (although I don't think it's going to happen to the Z). I would wait until I was driving late at nighttime, turn up the heater to max and open the windows. It would burn away the smell for a while... but it would come back...

From what I read, this happens from running the AC while shutting off the car traps moisture in the vents, causing mildew. Running the heater drys it out and kills it. But who knows if that's true or typical internet crap. Running the heater worked for me though.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
mwest300zx

Bad Monkey 1,
IN my business we service hundreds of new and used car dealers in NJ and Pa. Among other things we also deodorize vehicles. We run into your situation fairly regularly. Lysol, is not potent enough to do the job and is really more of a cover up. You need to get a professional enzyme deodorizer. you can use it full strength or or dilute it per the mfg. instructions. With the AC on and the vent open for drawing in air from the outside, spray (use a spray bottle) this stuff pretty liberally into the intake vents below the windshield. Keep the windows closed, but stick your head in the car and take a whiff. You should smell the deodorizer in the car. If you do it is working it's way through the ventilation system. Now leave the AC on and recirculate the air and spray up under the dash into the intake vent on the passenger side of the car on the right side of the console. Then repeat both steps again this time with the AC off and the blower on. But do it from the outside and then from the inside. There is a product called Kil-Odor and also Nil-Odor. Both are pretty effective. You can find them at Janitorial supply places or restaurant supply places. Runs about $20-25 per gallon, but you may be able to get it in a smaller size. We also fog the the vehicles with another product. But, this gets more involved and expensive. The above stuff should do the trick, unless you have a leak somewhere. Then the odor will continue to come back till the leak is corrected. Good luck.