Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Static on my car

Old 06-06-2005, 04:21 PM
ind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static on my car

So I finally decided to wait until 06 to purchase my Z, but I've been practicing the shine technique on my Maxima. I don't know if it's the wax, or the material I use to apply the wax & buff the car - but there must be a few volts collecting on my paint because after I came home from a drive, there was a thin layer of dust on one of the rear tail lights. When I put the back of my hand up to brush some of it off, I could feel the hairs on my hand move towards the car. Then I ran my finger across the trunk, and could see a clean shiny line where my finger went.

What the hell?

Anyways, what am I doing wrong? I know about Zaino, but don't think I should waste that on my Maxima. I've been using Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss, and fleece applicators for wax & buff. I get a real nice shine, but it goes away because the car collects a thin layer of dust.

On a side note, what would be a safe material to dust this crap off without re-washing the car? I figure I can perfect my wax-on-wax-off on this car, and not f up my Z next year on my first attempt.

cheers
Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
jcpeyton

Buy a California Duster. Cheap and does exactly what it claims. I use it every morning while warming-up to remove dust, pollen, etc.
I also had a static problem w/ dust, etc. collecting on the surface. After waxing w/ meguire's NXt and trying many qd's, I finally switched to menzerna acrylic shield as a daily detailer and it seems to have reduced the static clinging problem. I am not objective: IMO, menzerna rules.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using a carnuba based wax it will tend to attract a lot of dust back to the paint after waxing. Owning a Super Black I got frustrated and switched to Zaino. I no longer have this issue.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
jcpeyton

+1 on the carnuba. after switching to the menzerna acrylic shield my static problem diminished substantially.