Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

TOP problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
maxpowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck man....let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johns350
Can't find anyone who sells this. Walmart stopped carrying it....
Try auto parts store or Ace hardware.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
KombatKing

So minor update here - the short version is the top still doesn't work properly...

The part that gets me is they had the car for a 5 days and didn't fix anything then yesterday they decide they need to replace the 5th bow motor (which is what I had told them all along).

So today they replaced the 5th bow motor and told me it ran like a champ for a little while then broke again - which means one of two things - either there is some other problem we don't know about or the second 5th bow motor failed - either way my top still isn't functional and they are going to use a different 3rd party shop - maybe ASC to try to fix it.

I guess my only options now are:

A. Let the dealer try yet again to fix it
B. Consult an attorney about a lemon law/class action option.

I just want my car to work...

~KK
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
flumbo

Sorry KombatKing. That's disappointing. I'm taking my car in to a different dealer on Monday to see if they can figure out what is wrong-- same symptoms as you and many other people here.

After battling this problem for over a year I've come to hate my car and Nissan. The people at Nissan are always very nice, just completely unhelpful.

Has anyone been able to succesfully resolve this? I can't understand how a complete failure can be so hard to diagnose.

Last edited by flumbo; 02-07-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
copperhead

Originally Posted by copperhead
Dang guys, i am about to get my top (other part) replaced, so i hope i do not get this new problem you guys are having...has anybody found a solution yet?

I got my top replaced today! I have a new robbins cloth top...the uphostry shop that did the work did a good job....the only thing is that the top does not fully close on the 5th bow...the rubber does not fully seal...but the top opens and closes....The shop told me that the top has the stretch for a week, since it is a canvas top...

Are they any easy adjustment for the 5th bow?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
eclipZe

Originally Posted by spenZe
Not for nothing, but my dealer treats me like a bonna-fide king! Perhaps Nissan dealerships are more competitive in my region [Chicago area], I don't know, but when I bought my new ZR in July '06: he gave me all the standard extras [trunk net, car cover, etc.], he said the first 4 oil changes were on him, and, for the lifetime of the vehicle, free hand car wash anytime except Saturdays when they are swamped. I didn't believe him at first, but in the 5-6 times I have been back since meeting him that one day, the guy sees me in the lobby area and walks over to shake my hand, he somehow remembers my first name [I couldn't remember his at that moment], and he asks me specifically "how is your Z?". In addition, he literally walked me over to the service desk and moves me to the front of the line for my stuff [just a free oil change, so far].

Yes, some dealerships suck, but to the comment above, I definately "feel the love" as far as being treated with an elevated respect for being a ZR owner.

...But yeah...ask me again in 18 months when the motors for my top are apparently due for failure...
Which dealer is this? I live in Indiana but bought my car @ Orland Park Nissan. I'll know where to go in case my top gives me problems.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM
maxpowers

I got my top replaced today! I have a new robbins cloth top...the uphostry shop that did the work did a good job....the only thing is that the top does not fully close on the 5th bow...the rubber does not fully seal...but the top opens and closes....The shop told me that the top has the stretch for a week, since it is a canvas top...

I can't answer your question but its nice to hear someone installed an aftermarket top.

I may need a new top and have logged a complaint with Nissan (they did say they might cover the cost, although I'm out of warranty, given I'm on my third top). I can get a cloth top installed for $2500, which would last for at least 8-10 years. I'm seriously considering this since the Nissan top seems to only last 1.5 years.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
dudegetalife

friends having same problem, he's out of warranty. the back part folds up and the space opens but the top does not move afterthat, yes it is unlocked. any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
copperhead

I have a canvas top....it stretched and now the rear of the top seats perfect. The installer was right I had to let the top stretch for a week. It seated perfect after just one day. Its been about 6 days since the install.

There is also less wind noise with the canvas top and it is much quieter in the car. Why come nissan went with a cheap vinyl top?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
copperhead

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I can't answer your question but its nice to hear someone installed an aftermarket top.

I may need a new top and have logged a complaint with Nissan (they did say they might cover the cost, although I'm out of warranty, given I'm on my third top). I can get a cloth top installed for $2500, which would last for at least 8-10 years. I'm seriously considering this since the Nissan top seems to only last 1.5 years.

You need to get an aftermarket canvas top...they are only $649 at this site.

http://www.topsonline.com

Also it is a Robbins top. They make the best aftermarket tops..

The fit and finish it better than stock.

The canvas is as good as the canvas in a BMW or Mercedes top.

After install of a canvas top...it takes about a week for the top to stretch...so you can not put the top down for 7 days...after about a day the top fully closed at the 5th bow...the rubber seal was closed to the lid.

I fully recommend tops from www.topsonline.com
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
copperhead

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Try Primis lube gel. Works great & last long.

Dude where can I find this? I have been looking for some primis lube gel for like ever!

I tried walmart...no dice....
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
raj

i also have a top problem, once in a while it does not want to open.

took it to the dealer, they told me it works fine!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
joepark

Hey all!! My top is having the same problem. I have read all the replies and I cant afford to spend $1500 for the dealership to fix the problem. Has anyone used www.nissanextendedwarrenty.com?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
sluggoZ

Dude where can I find this? I have been looking for some primis lube gel for like ever!

I tried walmart...no dice....
I'll check it out tomorrow for ya.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by joepark
Hey all!! My top is having the same problem. I have read all the replies and I cant afford to spend $1500 for the dealership to fix the problem. Has anyone used www.nissanextendedwarrenty.com?
From what I heard, the extended warranty does not cover the soft top, I could be wrong. Throughly check the warranty out first before you sign because they will come back at you later on..... saying, normal wear & tear & other BS.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you get the problem worked out. That is one of my biggest fears that the top will give out.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Built2shredZ

I have a canvas top....it stretched and now the rear of the top seats perfect. The installer was right I had to let the top stretch for a week. It seated perfect after just one day. Its been about 6 days since the install.

There is also less wind noise with the canvas top and it is much quieter in the car. Why come nissan went with a cheap vinyl top?
Do you have pictures? I'm curious to see the fit and finish of it...

Thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
flumbo

Update on my issues with the top not working:

After over a year of back and forth with the dealer and phone calls with Nissan NA, I sent them a 40 page packet that detailed all my visits, issues and print-outs of several forum threads like this one. Nissan contacted me about two weeks later and set up an appointment to have the entire roof frame and motors replaced. Got it back a few days ago and it works perfectly.

I've noticed that the frame structure seems different from the previous roof, so hopefully they've fixed anything that caused this problem. Nissan was very apologetic that I had to go through so much trouble for the repair. I'm satisfied.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 AM
dudegetalife

someone needs to create a thread in the diy section about how to keep the top running smoothly including lubing it up.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow did they do this free of charge? Was this because of your call to NNA? I had a good experience with them as well.

Quick Reply: TOP problem