Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

TOP problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
flumbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
Wow did they do this free of charge? Was this because of your call to NNA? I had a good experience with them as well.
I had brought my car in for the top not working near the end of my warranty but the problem continued and wasn't fixed. I called NissanNA last summer and went through three months of phone calls before they decided not to fix it under warranty.

They only decided to repair the roof under warranty after I wrote them a detailed letter. From what I understand the NissanNA support group was being reorganized/outsourced during the time of my phone calls so that might have had something to do with the difficulty.

I think the letter just made it clearer that I had attempted to get this fixed while covered by warranty. I had taken my car to the dealer for the issue 8+ times over the year and kept getting put off by the phone support (14 calls and three months to get an appointment). It might have helped that I also showed them a dozen or so threads of people having the same problems with their 04 top.

In the end, they took care of their problem and were very nice. I'm just happy the roof works.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Built2shredZ

My brother is pissed off with his Z, the top quit working, windows go down, seat leans forward and you hear a click and that's it... He took it to Nissan and they told him $100 to diagnose, so he had them go ahead and do it, they call back at the end of the day and tell him they need another $400 to figure out whats wrong with it... So $500 just to tell him what needs to be replaced... I told him to get his car back and call around the various dealerships and find one that has experience with the Roadster's roof..

To bad Nissan didn't have the brains to add a manual way to raise and lower the top..
Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I would be pissed too. 100.00 just to check? I would really be pissed if they said they need 400.00 more! I hope he gets it taken care of. This is a big worry of mine. I have to keep my fingers crossed.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
skyhiguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the top quit working, windows go down, seat leans forward and you hear a click and that's it... He took it to Nissan and they told him $100 to diagnose, so he had them go ahead and do it, they call back at the end of the day and tell him they need another $400 to figure out whats wrong with it... So $500 just to tell him what needs to be replaced.

Exactly the symptoms my 04 ZR had before the 5th bow motor had to be replaced 1 year ago. The click is the latches un locking but the motor won't drive the rear top open. Push down on the rear of the top below the rear window to relatch and reset latch / sequencing (& put yellow dash light out) Then try lubricating the mechanism and visable moving parts first. This might get you some temporary relief but sounds like another 5th bow motor is about to bite the dust.

Good Luck,

Bud
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
yogipower

mine just stared to not working these days and I thought its because of cold weather =( its like 30 dgree in georgia. I was thinking that its like something related to tire issue so i never seriously about it but i'm gonna go check it soon or sooner. plus i do not want to pay 100 for just checking.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
kenpo_350Z

Well guys unfortunately I have started to have top problems Last weekend I experienced the same problems as everyone else. Windows go down, seat goes forward, and I hear a click. That is all. I turn the car off and turn it on. Then to top goes down all of a sudden. However when the tonnaue cover lid comes down over the top it will not latch down. The top goes up just fine and the light will come off the dash. It will even latch fine. But now when I put the top down everything goes down however the tonneau cover will not latch. It acts like the top didn't go down far enough. It looks fine like it is down all the way though. I don't want to do any further damage so I doubt I am going to raise and lower the top many more times.

My thinking is that I was going to call Nissan of NA because of all the issues I have read on here. My car is out of warranty so they will say im SOL probably. It is worth a try. If that is the case I may wait until next spring to get everything fixed.

I just can't believe I am going through this. It sounds like just an 04 ZR problem, what do you guys think? I think I jinxed myself for saying I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
alexstjo

I am having the same issues with my 04 roadster! Took it to quality Nissan in Temecula, california and they say the motors are worn out and only a complete frame replacement at $5,800 will fix it.

I am thinking of trying to trade it in and get some other car! this sucks.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexstjo
I am having the same issues with my 04 roadster! Took it to quality Nissan in Temecula, california and they say the motors are worn out and only a complete frame replacement at $5,800 will fix it.

I am thinking of trying to trade it in and get some other car! this sucks.
Go get a second opinion.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Go get a second opinion.
I second that - seriously!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:11 PM
KombatKing

Originally Posted by johns350
I second that - seriously!
I third that! Bring it down to Mossy Nissan in SD (off Clairemont Mesa Blvd) and talk to Damon (he is the best service advisor) and Nick (he is the tech who repairs the ZR's). They know how to fix the car down here and it's worth the hour drive to get it done right! Tell them Eliot sent you and they will know enough right there to take you seriously, lol!

~KK
Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM
alexstjo

Thanks guys and Elliot. I have an appointment next weekend. Damon and Nick are off this weekend, darn it. I think this is a case of one dealer not knowing how to work on the tops.

I will let you know how it goes next week.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
KombatKing

Alex,

They don't work on the weekends (usually) - so make sure you just take it down one day after work or something. They don't close until 6pm weekdays.

Good Luck!

~KK
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
brianberes

Well guys another 04 ZR with the same top problem. It started out when I tried to put the top up about a month ago everything worked fine until the final phase when the back part of the top with the rear window is suppose to come down on the tonneu cover and seal. Well it just sat there propped up and stuck with a clicking sound each time I hit the top button. About an hour later it decided to work and it came down and sealed up against the tonneu cover. Well, about three weeks later I put the top down (no problems) for the morning and when I tried to put it down again for an evening drive I got nothing but that clicking sound and then my yellow top light came on and now it won't go off even though the top did not open??? Luckily, I have Nissan's Gold extended warranty so I will be taking it in. Any advise from any of you on what to tell the service dept.?

Brian
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
KombatKing

Brian,

Sounds like you are having the 5th bow motor issue like everyone else has/will have. It's a good thing you have a warranty because all the top motors assemblies, etc. are covered. Check out page 3 of this thread for pictures.

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...problem-3.html

~KK
Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
dudegetalife

anyone know any places in dfw that can replace the 5th bow motor and the cost? just wondering i'm having the same problems
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
kenpo_350Z

I originally thought I was having issues with my top. However I think it was because I was trying to put the top down and it was too cold out. Since then I only put it down when it is over 55 degrees.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM
alexstjo

Here is my update. I took my baby into a different dealer (Mossy in S.D.) for a 2nd opinion. It took Nick 5 mins to tell me that I needed a new 5th bow and straps. Cost $2158. The first dealer wanted $7,800 for a whole new roof!!!! I will never go back there. I think some dealers fix problems by replacing EVERYTHING instead of figuring out what is broken and replacing only the broken items.

so what ever you do, get a second opinion.

I might also add that the first dealer told me "i have 2 tech that know how to work on these roofs". I am going to write a letter to Nissan NA about this whole experience.

thanks for all your help
Alex
Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Blooster

Originally Posted by alexstjo
Here is my update. I took my baby into a different dealer (Mossy in S.D.) for a 2nd opinion. It took Nick 5 mins to tell me that I needed a new 5th bow and straps. Cost $2158. The first dealer wanted $7,800 for a whole new roof!!!! I will never go back there. I think some dealers fix problems by replacing EVERYTHING instead of figuring out what is broken and replacing only the broken items.

so what ever you do, get a second opinion.

I might also add that the first dealer told me "i have 2 tech that know how to work on these roofs". I am going to write a letter to Nissan NA about this whole experience.

thanks for all your help
Alex
Really glad it worked out for you. Thanks very much for sharing the info.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 AM
XV8Crisis

hmm... my 04' ZR top is having similar issues, only mine almost makes it all the way into the compartment before freezing up and sitting there with the compartment hood open. there is also a tear down the right side of the rear window. i called Nissan NA and they wont do squat about it. I had these issues since I got the car and they keep c!cking me around... I'm starting to feel like there are no other options for this...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
brianberes

I took my Z to the dealer to get the top problem looked at plus what I thought was a noisy pilot bearing problem. Well, they called me today to tell me that the top problem is caused by the "top bands?" that have worn out and they are not keeping the top tight to allow the top to work properly and the top motors can't pick up the top because of this. Of course they say after looking up the top band part numbers they are not covered under my Gold Nissan warranty since they are wearable parts??? I'll find out tomorrow if that really fixed the problem. They are telling me it will cost about $370 for the parts and the labor.

Also, they found out not only was my pilot bearing bad buy also my 6 speed transmissions sychros are bad and they are replacing the tranny under warranty! I will have to pay for a new clutch and pilot bearing (the clutch pad & throwout bearing came with the tranny), but compared to a $2800 transmission and the labor I guess I can't complain.

Brian

Quick Reply: TOP problem