Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

TOP problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

In Nissan-speak all of the 5 electric motors that play a part in operating the top are called by the name “actuator”. The 5th bow, that you know already know about, is lifted and lowered by a single motor, both the storage compartment lid and the main top operation are each powered by two motors working in tandem. The two major top frame mounting points (one on each side, do hold a degree of alignment adjustment. Service techs are cautioned in the service manual not to needlessly loosen these bolts, as that will cause a loss of alignment. From what area of the car is the clicking sound coming from?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:44 PM
JMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
From what area of the car is the clicking sound coming from?
It sounds like it is coming from the rear, my initial thought was that it was the mechanism releasing the portion of the top that lists so the storage compartment lid can open. But I could be wrong.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

That mechanism is called the Auto Closure latch (locks the back of the top down tightly to the car). It is the first step in the top opening procedure, if it doesn’t complete the unlocking step, the top will not go on to he next step of its opening sequence.

Here is a Technical Service Bulletin, scroll down about half way for a picture of the latch assembly. Pay attention to the pictures of some of the problems that can befall it. http://www.myzroadster.com/Files/tsb.../NTB03-122.pdf
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM
JMT

Finally got it repaired, I hope it lasts.

https://my350z.com/forum/northern-ca...er-owners.html
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 AM
JMT

Aaaaaand, I lied.

Well, not exactly. The top operated like it is supposed to for a couple of days, then I tried to open it yesterday and the back part that starts the opening sequence unlatched and raised about 2 inches then stopped. Repeatedly pushing the open button did nothing (however my wife said she could feel a vibration on the passenger door armrest). Even pressing close did nothing. After about 10 minutes of swearing, it finally opened.

Afterwards the closing sequence work fine until came time for the back portion to raise so the hatch cover could close. It raised about halfway then stopped. I had to reopen the top to about 90 degrees and then close it again. At that point the back portion lifted completely and the hatch cover lowered.

My wife now calls the Z "The Finicky Biatch."
Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM
ispyman1958

Have you all checked the 5th bow, the windows go down, the passenger seat moves forward, but if the 5th bow motor is not working properly, top will not open.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 AM
ptwinkle

Angry Convertible top storage lid issue

Hi. I looked for a couple hours though the "Top Problem" and could not find anyone with my current problem. I really don't think it has to do with the 5th bow, I think it is the step after that. The top works fine until after the latch releases - the 5th bow is at full 90 degrees. Then the storage lid is supposed to lift. Problem is, it doesn't. It moves a couple inches and stops, push the button again and it might bounce, or it might move a couple more inches. Even with "assistance" it will not move smoothly. Has anyone had this problem? And the fix? It looks like it could be the "storage lid actuator" which in the parts catalog is the "actuator - back door opener". I guess I am not clear - is the actuator actually the only motor that opens the storage lid? The lid didn't have any problems with the closing part after the top was down and this time didn't have any trouble when I went to put the top back up, but it has been hit and miss for awhile. I never know if I will be stuck if I don't have someone to assist while I hold the brake and button!!

It is Operation step 6 on the close to open chart on p19.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rf19.pdf (113.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM
LA350ZCHICK

Default Same problem

So this seems to be a pretty common problem with 350z roadsters. This happened to both my friend and me, clicking sound and all. My awesome mechanic says this model has problems with the wiring and motor that runs the top. On both cars he moved the passenger seat forward (because the top and passenger seat are on the same circuit) and then opened and closed the top a few times to prime the motor. Worked after that. Two caveats
1. The first time he opened the top, it stopped part way. He had his assistant press the top open button while he pulled on the top to get it moving again
2. After 5 months of the top closed it got stuck again. So I had to move the passenger seat forward again and prime the motor again.

Last edited by LA350ZCHICK; 01-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.